Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bash Floating Number Variables Comparision Post 302830299 by Ariean on Monday 8th of July 2013 01:03:39 PM
Old 07-08-2013
Interesting so there is no other way in bash shell to achieve this other than using korn shell ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number comparision in AWK

Hi, I have a file like this. "2006","10",25,"U","1129","32","C",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,352,16,4,0,0,0,0,0,"80",,1 "2006","11",25,"U","1148","32","C",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,"80",,2 "2006","14",25,"U","1149","10","C",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,560,12,0,0,0,0,0,0,"80",,3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vskr72
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using bc with floating point number in files

Hi, I' using bash and I would like to use "bc" to compute the ratio of of two numbers and assign the ratio to a variable. The numbers are in a file, e.g. 196.304492 615.348986 Any idea how to do it? N.B. I cannot change the file to have 196.304492 / 615.348986 as the file is produced by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP: compare floating point variables??

Hi All, I got this script that pulls the Amps value from our RPC's , I basiclly want to compare the valued with a "limit" value -- if the numbers match or are greater than the definded value ...do something. My problem is I cant seem to figure out how to compare floating points... here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defining Dynamic Number of Variables in a Bash Script

Code: $ cat test.bash #!/bin/bash job=$1 steps=$2 num=$(echo "$@" | wc -w) Example Submission: $ ./test.bash BS01 3 1 2 3 What: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point variables korn shell

Hi I'm not using Korn93 but want to use floating point variable. Is there any solution to do that ? thx for help. ---------- Post updated at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:38 PM ---------- I have the following peace of code: for n in `cat log.January.1.array` do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare floating variables , integer value expected?

I am running some commands and I am trying to get an output into a variable. I am having problem when I try to put that value in while loop, it says integer value expected. What's the best way to accomplish this remaining=$(symclone -sid XXX -f Clone_test query | grep MB | awk '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert floating point to a number

Hello Guys, I have a floating point number 1.14475E+15 I want to convert this number in to full number (Integer or Big integer). I tried couple of functions it did not work. When I use INT=${FLOAT/.*} I am getting value as 1. I don't want a truncated value #!/bin/bash #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script accepting variables in valid number format

Hi Experts I would like to ask if there is a way to validate if the variable passed is in this kind of sample format "06-10" or "10-01". It was really a challenge to me on how to start and echnically the "6-10" stands for "June 10" and "10-01" stands as "October 1", overall it needs to have ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ersan-poguita
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0

Hello, I have often found bash to be difficult when it comes to floating point numbers. I have data with rows of tab delimited floating point numbers. I need to find the smallest number in each row that is not 0.0. Numbers can be negative and they do not come in any particular order for a given... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies
environ(4)							   File Formats 							environ(4)

NAME
environ, pref, variables - user-preference variables files for AT&T FACE SYNOPSIS
$HOME/pref/.environ $HOME/pref/.variables $HOME/FILECABINET/.pref $HOME/WASTEBASKET/.pref DESCRIPTION
The .environ, .pref, and .variables files contain variables that indicate user preferences for a variety of operations. The .environ and .variables files are located under the user's $HOME/pref directory. The .pref files are found under $HOME/FILECABINET, $HOME/WASTEBASKET, and any directory where preferences were set via the organize command. Names and descriptions for each variable are presented below. Vari- ables are listed one per line and are of the form variable=value. .environ Variables Variables found in .environ include: LOGINWIN[1-4] Windows that are opened when FACE is initialized. SORTMODE Sort mode for file folder listings. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 1 Sorted alphabetically by name. 2 Files most recently modified first. 800 Sorted alphabetically by object type. The values above may be listed in reverse order by ORing the following value: 1000 List objects in reverse order. For example, a value of 1002 will produce a folder listing with files LEAST recently modified displayed first. A value of 1001 would produce a "reverse" alphabetical by name listing of the folder. DISPLAYMODE Display mode for file folders. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 0 File names only. 4 File names and brief description. 8 File names, description, plus additional information. WASTEPROMPT Prompt before emptying wastebasket (yes/no?). WASTEDAYS Number of days before emptying wastebasket. PRINCMD[1-3] Print command defined to print files. UMASK Holds default permissions with which files will be created. .pref Variables Variables found in .pref are the following: SORTMODE Contains the same values as the SORTMODE variable described in .environ above. DISPMODE Contains the same values as the DISPLAYMODE variable described in .environ above. .variable Variables Variables found in .variables include: EDITOR Default editor. PS1 Shell prompt. SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 environ(4)