Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to convert 24 Hr Time Format into Minutes? Post 302828433 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 2nd of July 2013 12:21:30 PM
Old 07-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Assuming bash shell:
Code:
$ x=1530
$ y=$(( (x / 100)*60 + (x % 100) ))
$ echo $y

That works with any POSIX conforming shell (such as a 1993 or later version of the Korn shell); not just bash. Another way to do it with any POSIX conforming shell is:
Code:
for x in 0800 0815 0959 1530
do	y=$(( ${x%??} * 60 + ${x#??} ))
	echo $x $y
done

which produces the following output:
Code:
0800 480
0815 495
0959 599
1530 930

Last edited by Don Cragun; 07-03-2013 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Fix typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert minutes to hours, minutes, seconds

How would you convert lets say a 1000 minutes to hours, minutes, seconds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vozx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert epoch time to readible format?

Hi, I would like to convert epoch time from the logs to readible fromat. How do I do it within shell? Thanks! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cin2000
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch time format to normal date time format in the same file

I have a file named "suspected" with series of line like these : {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent KRPC', 'server': '219.78.120.166', 'client_port': 52044, 'client': '10.64.68.44', 'server_port': 8291, 'time': 1226506312L, 'serverhostname': ''} {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert to time format

I Have variable $currenttime and I want to display this variable as a TIME FORMAT and the $currenttime value contains like 000000 120000 020000 I want to display to 00:00:00 12:00:00 02:00:00 please help me how to this one (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Extract 12 hour time, convert to 24 and subtract 15 minutes?

OK, I am by no means a programmer... I have been given the task to do some automation scripts. I have got most of it working from snippets I have found on the Web. One requirement has me stumped. The initial timing file created by the user is a comma delimited in the following format.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: autotuner
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert epoch to human readable date & time format

Hello I have log file from solaris system which has date field converted by Java application using System.currentTimeMillis() function, example is 1280943608380 which equivalent to GMT: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:40:08 GMT. Now I need a function in shell script which will convert 1280943608380... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yaminib
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or nawk to convert epoch time to date format

Looking for some help and usually when I do a search this site comes up. Hopefully someone can give me a little direction as to how to use one of these two commands to achieve what I'm trying to do. What am I trying to do? I need to take the time value in epoch format returned from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: minigts
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert epoch time stamp into human readable format

Can someone help me to write a shell script to convert epoch timestamp into human readable format 1394553600,"test","79799776.0","19073982.728571","77547576.0","18835699.285714" 1394553600,"test1","80156064.0","19191275.014286","62475360.000000","14200554.720000"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert days hours minutes seconds to minutes?

Hi, please help with below time conversion to minutes. one column values: 2 minutes 16 seconds 420 msec 43 seconds 750 msec 0 days 3 hours 29 minutes 58 seconds 480 msec 11 seconds 150 msec I need output in minutes(total elapsed time in minutes) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramu.badugula
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file creation Time minutes and if file older then 5 minutes execute some stuff

Hello all, Info: System RedHat 7.5 I need to create a script that based on the creation time, if the file is older then 5 minutes then execute some stuff, if not exit. I thought to get the creation time and minutes like this. CreationTime=$(stat -c %y /tmp/test.log | awk -F" " '{ print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
3 Replies
Time::Fake(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Time::Fake(3pm)

NAME
Time::Fake - Simulate different times without changing your system clock SYNOPSIS
Pretend we are running 1 day in the future: use Time::Fake '+1d'; Pretend we are running 1 year in the past: use Time::Fake '-1y'; Pretend the script started at epoch time 1234567: use Time::Fake 1234567; See what an existing script would do if run 20 years in the future: % perl -MTime::Fake="+20y" test.pl Run a section of code in a time warp: use Time::Fake; # do some setup Time::Fake->offset("+1y"); run_tests(); # thinks it's a year ahead Time::Fake->reset; # back to the present DESCRIPTION
Use this module to achieve the effect of changing your system clock, but without actually changing your system clock. It overrides the Perl builtin subs "time", "localtime", and "gmtime", causing them to return a "faked" time of your choice. From the script's point of view, time still flows at the normal rate, but it is just offset as if it were executing in the past or present. You may find this module useful in writing test scripts for code that has time-sensitive logic. USAGE
Using and importing: use Time::Fake $t; Is equivalent to: use Time::Fake; Time::Fake->offset($t); See below for arguments to "offset". This usage makes it easy to fake the time for existing scripts, as in: % perl -MTime::Fake=+1y script.pl offset Time::Fake->offset( [$t] ); $t is either an epoch time, or a relative offset of the following form: +3 # 3 seconds in the future -3s # 3 seconds in the past +1h # 1 hour in the future etc.. Relative offsets must begin with a plus or minus symbol. The supported units are: s second m minute h hour d day (24 hours) M month (30 days) y year (365 days) If $t is an epoch time, then "time", "localtime", and "gmtime" will act as though the the current time (when "offset" was called) was actually at $t epoch seconds. Otherwise, the offset $t will be added to the times returned by these builtin subs. When $t is false, "time", "localtime", "gmtime" remain overridden, but their behavior resets to reflect the actual system time. When $t is omitted, nothing is changed, but "offset" returns the current additive offset (in seconds). Otherwise, its return value is the previous offset. "offset" may be called several times. However, The effect of multiple calls is NOT CUMULATIVE. That is: Time::Fake->offset("+1h"); Time::Fake->offset("+1h"); ## same as # Time::Fake->offset("+1h"); ## NOT the same as # Time::Fake->offset("+2h"); Each call to "offset" completely cancels out the effect of any previous calls. To make the effect cumulative, use the return value of calling "offset" with no arguments: Time::Fake->offset("+1h"); ... Time::Fake->offset( Time::Fake->offset + 3600 ); # add another hour reset Time::Fake->reset; Is the same as: Time::Fake->offset(0); That is, it returns all the affected builtin subs to their default behavior -- reporing the actual system time. KNOWN CAVEATS
Time::Fake must be loaded at "BEGIN"-time (e.g., with a standard "use" statement). It must be loaded before perl compiles any code that uses "time", "localtime", or "gmtime". Due to inherent limitations in overriding builtin subs, any code that was compiled before loading Time::Fake will not be affected. Because the system clock is not being changed, only Perl code that uses "time", "localtime", or "gmtime" will be fooled about the date. In particular, the operating system is not fooled, nor are other programs. If your Perl code modifies a file for example, the file's modification time will reflect the actual (not faked) time. Along the same lines, if your Perl script obtains the time from somewhere other than the affected builtins subs (e.g., "qx/date/"), the actual (not faked) time will be reflected. Time::Fake doesn't affect -M, -A, -C filetest operators in the way you'd probably want. These still report the actual (not faked) script start time minus file access time. Time::Fake has not been tested with other modules that override the time builtins, e.g., Time::HiRes. SEE ALSO
Time::Warp, which uses XS to fool more of Perl. AUTHOR
Time::Fake is written by Mike Rosulek <mike@mikero.com>. Feel free to contact me with comments, questions, patches, or whatever. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2008 Mike Rosulek. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2008-01-17 Time::Fake(3pm)