Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How can someone hack into a Linux server ? Post 302827851 by Corona688 on Monday 1st of July 2013 02:49:49 AM
Old 07-01-2013
Quote:
To brute-force my root account 506938 times they will need 253469 IP's cause they get permanently banned after 2 failed login attempts, but even if they did, my password is over 30 randomly generated characters long including upper + lower case letters, numbers, symbols and brackets.
This kind of paranoid security can be used against you in a pretty effective denial-of-service. If someone wants to lock you out of your machine, failing two logins can do it.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hack CPU Utilization

Hi friends, I am currently working on an issue where i should write a program which utilizes Cpu as specified by the user. The function should be provided with an argument ( how much percentage of CPU has to be utilized by the process ) for example CPU(75) should utilize 75% of CPU. The function... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nerdychandru
11 Replies

2. Solaris

tty hack

hi all, what i want to do when user open terminal like tty5 and do his work i want to see his terminal how can i do this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xxmasrawy
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

how to hack linux driver to delay incoming packets

hello, can anyone suggest how to delay the incoming packets ?? or how the packets are prossed inside the kernal and a way to make the packets wait a while?? it wud be vry helpful regards sameer (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameer kulkarni
7 Replies

4. Red Hat

Hack a centos Linux box

HI, I have a Centos linux box and there is interface connect to internet. I stop the iptables in this box . After a few day , I find the linux box have been hacked and install some perl script into the box . Could anyone tell me how the hacker can login into the centos box without knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Configure the AD Window server with Linux server(google Authenticator is installed)

Hi my name is Manju. ->I have configure the two way authentication on my linux server. ->Now I am able to apply two way authenticator on particuler user. ->Now I want to map this linux server to my AD server. ->Kindly tell me how to map AD(Active Directory) with this linux server. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjusharma128
2 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change login password in Network Information System (NIS) SYNOPSIS
[name] Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality remains the same; only the name has changed. DESCRIPTION
changes or installs a password associated with the login name in the Network Information System (NIS). The NIS password can be different from the one on your own machine. If name is omitted, it defaults to the name returned by (see getlogin(3C)). prompts for the old NIS password (even if it does not exist), then twice for the new one. The old password must be entered correctly for the change to take effect. Checks occur to ensure that the new password meets the following construction requirements. o Only the first eight characters are significant. o A password can be as few as four characters long if it contains o at least one special character or o a mixture of numeric, uppercase and lowercase letters. o A password can be as few as five characters long if it contains a mixture of o uppercase and lowercase letters or o numeric and either uppercase or lowercase letters. o A password must contain at least six characters if it contains only monocase letters. All these rules except the first are relaxed if you try three times to enter an unacceptable new password. You cannot, however, enter a null password. Only the owner of the name or the superuser can change a password. The Network Information System password daemon, must be running on the master NIS password server to change NIS passwords. See yppass- wdd(1M). WARNINGS
The password update protocol passes the old and new passwords to the master NIS server at once. Thus, if the old NIS password is incor- rect, no notification is given until the new NIS password is successfully entered. The password construction rules are different from those of the HP-UX command (see passwd(1)). The root user's password cannot be changed using or Therefore, root users must change their password in the files database and then recon- struct the NIS maps using the command. For more information on how to use the command, see ypmake(1M). User applications that call this routine must be linked with For example, AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
id(1), passwd(1), su(1), yppasswdd(1M), getlogin(3C), yppasswd(3N), ypfiles(4). yppasswd(1)