Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Writing output to the console Post 302827275 by pat0181 on Friday 28th of June 2013 11:36:37 AM
Old 06-28-2013
The command "echo "$result doesnot match with the host file" | tee -a InputHostsFileErrors.txt" only works if you want the information displayed on the terminal you are using. To display it on the console try:
Code:
echo "$result doesnot match with the host file" | tee -a InputHostsFileErrors.txt > /dev/console 2>&1

---------- Post updated at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:11 AM ----------

Sorry previous post was a little incorrect. While it would work it wouldn't capture and log STDERR correctly. Try this:
Code:
echo "$result doesnot match with the host file"  2>&1 | tee -a InputHostsFileErrors.txt > /dev/console

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Eleminating output to console

I am running Shorewall firewall config program to utilize iptables on a Debian 3.3.5 system. This system is setup for a getway/router. I am getting a message: Shorewall:bogons:Drop:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC+ mac address of eth0 SRC:someinternetIP DST=MYIPADD LEN=61 TOS+0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=114 ID=6673... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pflink
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing to a file without echo it to the console !!!!

hi all, I am trying to write some message to a file using the following command. echo "${MESSAGE}" >&1 | tee -a ${File_name} can the same be done without using echo . I don't want the result to be displayed to the console. Can anyone guide me. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_kv1983
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] merging two files and writing to another file- solved

i have two files as file1: 1 2 3 file2: a b c and the output should be: file3: 1~a 2~b 3~c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
1 Replies

5. Solaris

No Console Output

Hey everyone I have a sparc enterprise T2000 I'm trying to install solaris 10 on. The only way I can connect to it is the SER MGT console, but I'm not getting anything to display (in Hyper terminal, or PUTTY) when I boot it. Upon googleing, all I get back is "No output may have been generated.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep on console output

Hellos! I want to have a unix script that will run grep on the console output. Here is what my script does: 1. Telnet into a remote server (I have done this part successfully) 2. On successful login, the remote server displays outputs information on the console. I need to run grep on that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneet1984
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Shell/Perl(?)] Prepending timestamps to console output & writing results to a file

I do a lot of TSM work and I embarked on what I thought would be an easy task, and I'd be very happy for any input to save the pounding my keyboard is receiving :] By default, the output of TSM's console has no timestamping, making it hard to sort through accurately. This puts my console into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Writing a loop to changing the names of files in a directory

Hi, I would like to write a loop to change the names of files in a directory. The files are called data1.txt through data1000.txt. I'd like to change their names to a1.txt through a1000.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

9. Solaris

[SOLVED] Console connection to V240

My apologies if this is posted/answered elsewhere. I have recently been tasked with getting 2 Sun V240's running Solaris 10 up and working. I should mention I come from the programming side of life with a small amount of networking on Windows 2003 servers. They boot, no error lights, hd's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuriosity_prime
6 Replies

10. Web Development

302 Redirects Issues Effected Google Search Console (GSC) Fixed - DBSEO Goto Rewrite Problems Solved

Finally! Yesterday I FINALLY figured out why Google Search Console (GSE) was showing so many pages with 302 redirects in our link budget. For over a year, I thought this issue was relate to either Apache2 or DBSEO (our PHP module which rewrites our links to be SEO friendly). However, when I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
5 Replies
SYSTEMD-GETTY-GENERATOR(8)				      systemd-getty-generator					SYSTEMD-GETTY-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-getty-generator - Generator for enabling getty instances on the console SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-getty-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-getty-generator is a generator that automatically instantiates serial-getty@.service on the kernel console(s), if they can function as ttys and are not provided by the virtual console subsystem. It will also instantiate serial-getty@.service instances for virtualizer consoles, if execution in a virtualized environment is detected. If execution in a container environment is detected, it will instead enable console-getty.service for /dev/console, and container-getty@.service instances for additional container pseudo TTYs as requested by the container manager (see Container Interface[1]). This should ensure that the user is shown a login prompt at the right place, regardless of which environment the system is started in. For example, it is sufficient to redirect the kernel console with a kernel command line argument such as console= to get both kernel messages and a getty prompt on a serial TTY. See kernel-parameters.txt[2] for more information on the console= kernel parameter. systemd-getty-generator implements systemd.generator(7). Further information about configuration of gettys can be found in systemd for Administrators, Part XVI: Gettys on Serial Consoles (and Elsewhere)[3]. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), agetty(8) NOTES
1. Container Interface https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ContainerInterface/ 2. kernel-parameters.txt https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt 3. systemd for Administrators, Part XVI: Gettys on Serial Consoles (and Elsewhere) http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html systemd 237 SYSTEMD-GETTY-GENERATOR(8)