Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to get text between 2 strings Post 302827181 by Don Cragun on Friday 28th of June 2013 04:13:43 AM
Old 06-28-2013
Your message is inconsistent and not clear.

The title of this thread says you're using awk, but your original post contained a perl script; not an awk script.

You gave us a six line example of text that you seem to want to be copied directly with no examples of lines that should be skipped.

You say sed isn't working, but you haven't shown us any sed code nor any sed error messages.

It isn't clear from your description whether you want to start copying input lines to output for any line starting with Type of msg: and continuing through any line that starts with AWXX or if you only want to copy lines that exactly match:
Code:
Type of msg:          -in_full [+]

through lines that exactly match:
Code:
AWXX-Ready to commit (98) msg type: (10)

but your awk script wasn't working because - and + are special characters in extended regular expressions in addition to the [ and ( that you had already escaped.

With the trivial example you gave us, the following awk scripts both seem to do what you want. Hopefully, one of them will enable you to create an awk script that will work with your actual input files.

matching line starts:
Code:
awk '/^Type of msg:/ {p = 1}
p
/^AWXX/ {p = 0}' test6

matching exact lines:
Code:
awk '$0 == "Type of msg:          -in_full [+]" {p = 1}
p
$0 == "AWXX-Ready to commit (98) msg type: (10)" {p = 0}' test6

If you are using a Solaris/SunOS system, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk, or /bin/nawk instead of /bin/awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using AWK how to extract text between two same strings

I have a file like: myfile.txt it is easy to learn awk and begin awk scripting and awk has got many features awk is a powerful text processing tool Now i want to get the text between first awk and immediate awk not the third awk . How to get it ? its urgent pls help me and file is unevenly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to extract text between two constant strings

Hi, I have a file from which i need to extract data between two constant strings. The data looks like this : Line 1 SUN> read db @cmpd unit 60 Line 2 Parameter: CMPD -> "C00071" Line 3 Line 4 SUN> generate Line 5 tabint>ERROR: (Variable data) The data i need to extract is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk/sed to extract text between Strings

Dear Unix Gurus, I've got a data file with a few hundred lines (see truncated sample)... BEGIN_SCAN1 TASK_NAME=LA48 PDD Profiles PROGRAM=ArrayScan 1.00 21.220E+00 2.00 21.280E+00 END_DATA END_SCAN1 BEGIN_SCAN2 TASK_NAME=LA48 PDD Profiles 194.00 2.1870E+00 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: How to extract text lines between two strings

Hi. I have a text test1.txt file like:Receipt Line1 Line2 Line3 End Receipt Line4 Line5 Line6 Canceled Receipt Line7 Line8 Line9 End (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: TQ3
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two strings

Hi I have something like this: EXAMPLE 1 CREATE UNIQUE INDEX "STRING_1"."STRING_2" ON "BOSNI_CAB_EVENTO" ("CD_EVENTO" , "CD_EJECUCION" ) PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 5242880 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1 BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT) TABLESPACE "DB1000_INDICES_512K"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrispaz81
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two strings

Hi, I have a text like these: ECHO "BEGGINING THE SHELL....." MV FILE1 > FILE2 UNIQ_ID=${1} PARTITION_1=`${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "SELECT ....." PARTITION_2=`${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "SELECT ........" ${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "CREATE ...." IF .... ....... I would like to extract only text that only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove field and match strings to add text

In file1 field $18 is removed.... column header is "Otherinfo", then each line in file1 is used to search file2 for a match. When a match is found the last four strings in file2 are copied to file1. Maybe: cut -f1-17 file1 and then match each line to file2 file1 Chr Start End ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies
Imager::QRCode(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Imager::QRCode(3pm)

NAME
Imager::QRCode - Generate QR Code with Imager using libqrencode SYNOPSIS
use Imager::QRCode; my $qrcode = Imager::QRCode->new( size => 2, margin => 2, version => 1, level => 'M', casesensitive => 1, lightcolor => Imager::Color->new(255, 255, 255), darkcolor => Imager::Color->new(0, 0, 0), ); my $img = $qrcode->plot("blah blah"); $img->write(file => "qrcode.gif"); # or instance method use Imager::QRCode qw(plot_qrcode); my $img = plot_qrcode("blah blah", \%params); $img->write(file => "qrcode.gif"); DESCRIPTION
This module allows you to generate QR Code with Imager. This module use libqrencode '2.0.0' and above. METHODS
new $qrcode = Imager::QRCode->new(%params); The "new()" constructor method instantiates a new Imager::QRCode object. "new()" accepts the following parameters. o "size" - Horizontal and vertical size of module(dot). Default is 4. o "margin" - Margin size of QR Code. Default is 3. o "level" - Error collectin level. Valid values are 'M', 'L', 'Q' or 'H'. Default is 'L'. o "version" - Version of the symbol. If specify '0', this module chooses the minimum version for the input data. Default is '0'. o "mode" - Encoding mode. Valid values are 'numerical', 'alpha-numerical', '8-bit' or 'kanji'. Default is '8-bit'. If not give "casesensitive" then should be given "mode". If 'kanji' is given, characters will be encoded as Shift-JIS characters. If '8-bit' is given, all of non-alpha-numerical characters will be encoded as is. If you want to embed UTF-8 string, choose '8-bit'. o "casesensitive" - If your application is case-sensitive using 8-bit characters, set to '1'. Default is '0'. plot($text) $img = $qrcode->plot("blah blah"); Create a new QR Code image. This method returns Imager object ploted QR Code with the given text. INSTANT METHODS
plot_qrcode($text, \%params) Instant method. $text is input text. %params is same parameter as "new()". SEE ALSO
"Imager", "http://www.qrcode.com/", "http://megaui.net/fukuchi/works/qrencode/index.en.html" AUTHOR
Yoshiki KURIHARA "<kurihara __at__ cpan.org>" THANKS
Tokuhiro Matsuno LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011, Yoshiki KURIHARA "<kurihara __at__ cpan.org>". This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See perlartistic. perl v5.14.2 2012-12-16 Imager::QRCode(3pm)