Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A very weird problem about getting a random string Post 302826321 by franksunnn on Wednesday 26th of June 2013 10:23:02 AM
Old 06-26-2013
Question A very weird problem about getting a random string

Hi, guys
Here is my script and it's an imaginary script to recast a string randomly.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# scriptname: recast_string
# purpose: recast a string randomly like this "abc123" --> "21a3cb" or "a31b2c"

function recast()
{
        local original_string=$1
        local changed_string=${original_string}
        local recast_string=
        while [[ ${i:=0} < ${#original_string} ]]
        do
                random_char=${changed_string:$(($RANDOM%${#changed_string})):1}
                changed_string=${changed_string/$random_char/}
                echo ${#changed_string}
                recast_string=${recast_string}${random_char}
                ((i++))
        done
        echo "$1 has been recast to ${recast_string}."
}

recast $1
exit 0

However, I found a weird problem that if the length of string from the keyboard is less than 10, the script works well and if the length is equivalent to or greater than 10, the script works incorrectly that the loop is executed for only two times. Here is the debug results:
length is 9
Code:
sh -x recast_string j138sd113
+ recast j138sd113
+ local original_string=j138sd113
+ local changed_string=j138sd113
+ local recast_string=
+ [[ 0 < 9 ]]
+ random_char=8
+ changed_string=j13sd113
+ echo 8
+ recast_string=8
+ (( i++ ))
+ [[ 1 < 9 ]]
+ random_char=s
+ changed_string=j13d113
+ echo 7
+ recast_string=8s
+ (( i++ ))
...... (omitted sth here)
+ [[ 8 < 9 ]]
+ random_char=3
+ changed_string=
+ echo 0
+ recast_string=8sd311j13
+ (( i++ ))
+ [[ 9 < 9 ]]
+ echo 'j138sd113 has been recast to 8sd311j13.'
j138sd113 has been recast to 8sd311j13.

length is 10
Code:
 sh -x recast_string j138sd1135
+ recast j138sd1135
+ local original_string=j138sd1135
+ local changed_string=j138sd1135
+ local recast_string=
+ [[ 0 < 10 ]]
+ random_char=8
+ changed_string=j13sd1135
+ echo 9
+ recast_string=8
+ (( i++ ))
+ [[ 1 < 10 ]]
+ random_char=1
+ changed_string=j3sd1135
+ echo 8
+ recast_string=81
+ (( i++ ))
+ [[ 2 < 10 ]]
+ echo 'j138sd1135 has been recast to 81.'
j138sd1135 has been recast to 81.

I don't know why. Anybody can help me ? Appreciate that!SmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird Problem???

I have a problem I don't understand... I am trying to declare a variable, and then output the results of that variable, couldn't be simpler #!/bin/ksh VAR='Oranges' if then echo "Found Lemons" elif then echo "Found Oranges" fi The output shouold clearly be "Found Oranges", but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Weird crontab problem

Greetings To All! I am running Solaris 10 in a sparc environment. Here is the deal: In /var/spool/cron/crontabs, there is a cron user named "sys". If I do a crontab -l sys, it returns: # 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 # 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 # 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Really weird delete problem

Hi, I've Ubuntu 8.04, and it has some files that I just cannot delete. I've tried everything, inode, fsck etc. Here is what the ls -li outputs root@ubuntu:/home/luser/.local/share/Trash/files/junk# ls -l ls: cannot access TRUNK_: No such file or directory ls: cannot access 2006_output.mv:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a certain string with string containing random rubbish

Hello, in my shell script i have some multi-line text in a variable $TEMP - f.e. blablahblah blah blah bla TARGET hgloglo And i need to replace TARGET with text from another variable ($REPLACE), which is containing some text with nasty characters (\n, ", :, etc.) And stuff the altered text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MilanCZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a random string of numbers

Hi Can someone help me with this one? I have string.. (PROC_PROC_ID == 12183) <--PID is dynamic and i want to replace the PID number with whatever PID from /opt/hpws/apache32_2/logs/httpd.pid file. i'm having problem since the PID on the string is dynamic. It may be 2-5 digits or more. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
5 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Weird dependency problem!

Hi, I want to install net-snmp-devel package but i have following dependecy problem. It's very odd, i don't get it. One of packages is depended on the other one, the other one is depended on the previous one as well. :S :S Could you help me please? Here are the steps: # ls -l total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk weird problem.

awk 'BEGIN{print 1.2.3.4}' 1.20.30.4 Can anyone explain why has extra "0" in the IP address? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newoz
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird awk problem

Hi, I have a simple awk script: BEGIN{} { $a=$2-$1; print $a } END{if(NR==0){ print "0" } } to which I provide the following input 2.9 14 22.2 27 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a Random String of 'n' length

Hi, How can I generate a string of random characters (alpha+numeric) of a particular length ? For e.g. for n=5, output = 'kasjf' n=10, output = 'hedbcd902k' Also, please let me know if random (valid) dates could also be generated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting String To Integer/Float (weird case)

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have a problem at work. One of our scripts was eventually having a bug and only detected recently. Here's the issue and background: Bash Script which calls AWK script Awk script returns a string as per below (example):var1='00000-123'So, when we convert it, the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekfarok
18 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)