Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Suggestions for command line parsing Post 302825591 by steadyonabix on Monday 24th of June 2013 05:51:14 PM
Old 06-24-2013
Thanks for the perl examples.

I need to pull this off in bash so I can't use them but they certainly look powerful. The last example being particularly compact...

Cheers

---------- Post updated at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:21 PM ----------

this is the best I have managed to come up with. Doesn't handle negative numbers but that was never in my original requirement -

Code:
#! /bin/bash

error_exit()
{
    echo $1
    exit 1
}

expand_range()
{
    [[ $@ =~ ^[0-9]*-[0-9]*$ ]] || error_exit "Usage: args ${FUNCNAME}"
    local LA=${1#*-} FA=${1%-*}
    local TEST="\(\(FA++\)\) -lt \${LA}"
    [[ ${FA} -gt ${LA} ]] && TEST="\(\(FA--\)\) -gt \${LA}"

OUT="${OUT},${FA}"
    while eval [[ ${TEST} ]]
    do
        OUT="${OUT},${FA}"
    done
}

parse_line()
{
    [[ $@ =~ ^[0-9]+[0-9,-]*[0-9-]+$ ]] || error_exit "Usage: args ${FUNCNAME}"
    OUT=
    for SEG in $(echo $@ | awk 1 RS=",")
    do
        if [[ ${SEG} =~ ^[0-9]*-[0-9]*$ ]]
        then
            expand_range ${SEG}
        else
            OUT="${OUT},${SEG}"
        fi
    done
    echo ${OUT#,*}
}

parse_line 2,15-9,3,5-8,1

Output -

Code:

---------- Post updated at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:35 PM ----------

Well I'm glad to see so many people enjoying the problem as much as I am .. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parsing the command line arguments

Is there a way to get the command line arguments. I am using getopt(3) but if the arguments are more than one for a particular option than it just ignores the second argument. For eg ./a.out -x abc def now abd will be got with -x using getopt "( x : )" and string abc\0def will get stored... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakhanna
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing command line switches in Perl

Hi, My perl script takes few switches which i'm parsing through GetOpt::Long module. My script looks like something : myscript.pl --file="foo" --or --file="bar" The --file switch takes 2 arguments foo and bar. The 2 values of file are separated by --or switch. I want to ensure that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: obelix
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing command line arguments in bash

Looking for a little help parsing some command line arguments in a bash script I am working on, this is probably fairly basic to most, but I do not have much experience with it. At the command line, when the script is run, I need to make sure the argument passed is a file, it exists in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breakology
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a command line parameter in script

I have a simple script that builds a complex program call which passes a number of parameters to the program. I'm trying to enhance the script to include the value of the command line parameter in the name of a file being created. The problem I'm having is that the parameter may include a forward... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbmax626
11 Replies

6. Programming

Parsing command line arguments in Python

Hi, I've a python script called aaa.py and passing an command line option " -a" to the script like, ./aaa.py -a & Inside the script if the -a option is given I do some operation if not something else. code looks like ./aaa.py -a . . if options.a ---some operation--- if not options.a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: testin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Command Line Arguments In C shell script

]I have a string like "/abc/cmind/def/pq/IC.2.4.6_main.64b/lnx86" and this string is given by user. But in this string instead of 64b user may passed 32 b an i need to parse this string and check wether its is 32b or 64 b and according to it i want to set appropriate flags. How will i do this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: codecatcher
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command suggestions

I've defined the order of elements which needs to be print in a order in a variable. please let me know how can I use it in awk command ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Line Perl for parsing fasta file

I would like to take a fasta file formated like >0001 agttcgaggtcagaatt >0002 agttcgag >0003 ggtaacctga and use command line perl to move the all sample gt 8 in length to a new file. the result would be >0001 agttcgaggtcagaatt >0003 ggtaacctga cat ${sample}.fasta | perl -lane... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML using command line

Hi Experts, How do I parse a XML with below contents <saw:user name="mbussey@xyz.com" /> <saw:user name="kimmy.chan@pqr.com" /> <saw:user name="chudgins@gmail.com" /> and retrieve below output ? mbussey@xyz.com kimmy.chan@pqr.com chudgins@gmail.com ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: pauldx
17 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)