Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Find and Chown all files in a DIR except for Root Post 302824131 by gps1976 on Thursday 20th of June 2013 08:26:49 AM
Old 06-20-2013
Worked great

Thank you all for replying. Thanks Jim, the below command worked as needed.

find . -user user1 -exec chown user1:group1 {} \;

Verdepollo, I love the -ok option

find . -user user1 -ok chown user1:group1 {} \;

alister, how would the command(s) look? I'm a newbie, so I need it written in crayon sometimes...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setuid root and chown

I am trying to run chown and chmod from a script owned by root. The permissions are set to 4755 so that users can execute the script as root. However, when I run the script as a user other than root, I get "Operation not permitted" for both chown and chmod. Any ideas as to why this is? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root dir ? home dir ?

I am little bit confused when the words "root directory" and "home directory" and "parent directory" are used. Can anybody explains the difference. I am trying to list the names and protections levels and size of visible files in the root directory would it be correct if I just typed: ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hinman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and purge a files in a dir

HI All, I have recuirement to purge the files in a directory . In that directory i an having many sub-directory . When i use find command like find ~/work/test/insert -name "*.*" -mtime +12 it is listing the file not accesed before 12 , It also takes the subdirectories inside the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find sticky bit dir/files

I need to find all sticky bit dir/files on my system and clean them up if necessary. How to I write a script to do this? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown -R under root directory

Hi I executed command "chown -R xxx:xxx /" with user root... and it was too late when I found the mistake. Ownership of some files under the root directory had already become xxx:xxx. Is there a way that can recovery the ownership of all my files back to the point where they were? I really thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

CPIO Problem, copy to the root dir / instead of current dir

HI all, I got a CPIO archive that contains a unix filesystem that I try to extract, but it extract to the root dir / unstead of current dir, and happily it detects my file are newer otherwise it would have overwrited my system's file! I tried all these commands cpio -i --make-directories <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script to find dir, delete files in, and then del dir?

Hello!! I have directories from 2008, with files in them. I want to create a script that will find the directoried from 2008 (example directory: drwxr-xr-x 2 isplan users 1024 Nov 21 2008 FILES_112108), delete the files within those directories and then delete the directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find command to find exact dir from the root

I want to find a dir called STOP from the root.so what is the find command. Thanks & Regards Rajkumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Operation not permitted as root

Hi Expert, I am trying to change ownership of one file to another user that is exist in the system but getting operation not permitted error what could be the correct way? # ls -lh .Xauthority_ori -rw------- 1 maxim atlas 2.8K Jul 27 17:18 .Xauthority_ori # id -a uid=0(root)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Find paths of multiple files in CC (dir and sub-dir))

Dear Members, I have a list of xml files like abc.xml.table prq.xml.table ... .. . in a txt file. Now I have to search the file(s) in all directories and sub-directories and print the full path of file in a output txt file. Please help me with the script or command to do so. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
11 Replies
MKDIC(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MKDIC(1)

NAME
mkdic - Tool for creating a user dictionary SYNOPSIS
mkdic [{-cs|-cannaserver} canna-server] [-s] [- | -l local-file] remote-dic DESCRIPTION
mkdic creates user dictionary named remote-dic in the user dictionary directory of the remote host, on which cannaserver(1M) is in opera- tion. Dictionary file name remote-dic is assigned to this file at this time. If the - and -l option isn't specified, mkdic creates an empty dictionary. If the - option is specified, the standard input will be used as the dictionary file. If the -l option is specified, local-file will be used as the dictionary file. If the user dictionary directory does not exist, it will be created. Dictionary directory file -- dics.dir -- is rewritten automatically after the registering. The registered dictionary can thus be used by writing the dictionary name into the customize file. OPTIONS
-cs canna-server (or -cannaserver canna-server) Specifies the server machine that contains the dictionary to be created. -s Indicates that the dictionary to be created is an adjunct dictionary. If this option is omitted, the dictionary will be cre- ated as an independent-word one. -l local-file Registers the input data from local-file. - The standard input will be used as the dictionary file. EXAMPLES(1) If you want to creat an empty dictionary file: % mkdic test(2) If you want to register the input data from the standard input: % mkdic test - Registers the input data from the standard input, in the user dictionary directory under dictionary name ``test''. The following line is then added to dictionary directory file -- dics.dir -- : user1.t(.mwd) -test-(3) If the dictionary file is specified: % mkdic test -l test1.t Registers independent-word dictionary file ``test1.t'' in the remote host's user dictionary directory under dictionary name ``test''. The following line is then added to dics.dir: user1.t(.mvd) -test- user1.t is a dictionary file name generated automatically by the system. SEE ALSO
catdic(1), cannaserver(1M), lsdic(1) MKDIC(1)