Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to give a user sudo permissions Post 302823823 by Revanth547 on Thursday 20th of June 2013 12:34:34 AM
Old 06-20-2013
Could you also let me know the procedure for writing a script to give sudo permissions for a specific user in linux

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give sudo access to subdirectories?

Say I want to give someone access to /example/directory/* where * equals all the sub directories inside of /example/directory I tried doing something like joe DEV1=(ROOT) /example/directory/ But that doesn't seem to want to work. If I give him the full subdirectory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give permissions to an open file in vi editor?

Hi all, I have a shell script that i started editing, only in the midst of which i tried to save the changes i found that the file wasnt been provided with write/execute permissions. I later have redone the changes and saved the file- Just curious to know if there was any command wherein... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo su - user in a shell script

Normally i would google, but I did not know how to google the problem I am facing now also being a newbie in shell scripting. Okay, the requirement is user1 has sudo rule to su - user2(NO PASSWORD) and user2 has will be able to sudo certain commands so following works fine from command prompt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beEnthu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive script to give user option of what text to add

Hello all, I have created a script that will remove the first two lines of one text file (body.txt) and then add the text from a different text file (header.txt) directly to the beginning of the freshly modified body.txt file. It is as follows: #!/bin/bash ## This script will add a header... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to give sudo entry in .profile file in Solaris?

Hi all, In Solaris , What entry should I add in my .profile file in home directory so that every time I don't have to give Sudo's full path like /usr/local/bin/sudo as well as /usr/sbin/ping and it will be Great help if you could tell me how to know what should be added. Please Advice.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to give sudo access to the personal id's to that of application id in Solaris 10?

Hi, I am using solaris 10. Requirement is I need to give sudo access to the normal id's to the application userid. Example:I have an personal id calle "rzynv5" on the solaris server.I have an application id called "gmdidp".Requirement here is when user logged in as rzynv5 next thing he... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script without execute permissions will work for a user?

Please help me to understand the issue: Issue: There are shell scripts in a user home directory (/home/user_1) without execute permissions (rw-r--r--) to owner,group and world These shell scripts were able to execute/work previously but its not working now and it says permission denied or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSK_1990
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to give permissions to read write but not delete the file?

i want to give users the ability to create write and read files in other user directory , but not to have option to delete the file after created ( sticky bit not going to work here ... ) for example : i have user : manager with directory repository i have user : worker1 that need to write... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies
MOLLY-GUARD(8)							  [FIXME: manual]						    MOLLY-GUARD(8)

NAME
molly-guard - guard against accidental shutdowns/reboots SYNOPSIS
shutdown [-hV] [--molly-guard-do-nothing] [-- script_options] halt [-hV] [--molly-guard-do-nothing] [-- script_options] reboot [-hV] [--molly-guard-do-nothing] [-- script_options] poweroff [-hV] [--molly-guard-do-nothing] [-- script_options] DESCRIPTION
molly-guard attempts to prevent you from accidentally shutting down or rebooting machines. It does this by injecting a couple of checks before the existing commands: halt, reboot, shutdown, and poweroff. This happens via scripts with the same names in /usr/sbin, so it only works if you have /usr/sbin before /sbin in your PATH! Before molly-guard invokes the real command, all scripts in /etc/molly-guard/run.d/ have to run and exit successfully; else, it aborts the command. run-parts(1) is used to process the directory. molly-guard passes any script_options to the scripts, and also populates the environment with the following variables: o MOLLYGUARD_CMD - the actual command invoked by the user. o MOLLYGUARD_DO_NOTHING - set to 1 if this is a demo-run. o MOLLYGUARD_SETTINGS - the path to a shell script snippet which scripts can source to obtain settings. molly-guard prints the contents of /etc/molly-guard/messages.d/COMMAND or /etc/molly-guard/messages.d/default to the console, if either exists. This is due to /etc/molly-guard/run.d/10-print-message. GUARDING SSH SESSIONS
molly-guard was primarily designed to shield SSH connections. This functionality (which should arguably be provided by the openssh-server package) is implemented in /etc/molly-guard/run.d/30-query-hostname. This script first tests whether the command is being executed from a tty which has been created by sshd. It also checks whether the variable SSH_CONNECTION is defined. If any of these tests are successful, test script queries the user for the machine's hostname, which should be sufficient to prevent the user from doing something by accident. You can pass the --pretend-ssh script option to molly-guard to pretend that those tests succeeds. Alternatively, setting ALWAYS_QUERY_HOSTNAME in /etc/molly-guard/rc causes the script to always query. The following situations are still UNGUARDED. If you can think of ways to protect against those, please let me know! o running sudo within screen or screen within sudo; sudo eats the SSH_CONNECTION variable, and screen creates a new pty. o executing those command in a remote terminal window, that is a XTerm started on a remote machine but displaying on the local X server. You have been warned. You can use the --molly-guard-do-nothing switch to prevent anything from happening, e.g. halt --molly-guard-do-nothing. OPTIONS
--molly-guard-do-nothing Cause molly-guard to print the command which would be executed, after processing all scripts, instead of executing it. -h, --help Display usage information. -V, --version Display version information. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), halt(1), reboot(8), poweroff(8). LEGALESE
molly-guard is copyright by martin f. krafft. Andrew Ruthven came up with the idea of using the scripts directory and submitted a patch, which I modified a bit. This manual page was written by martin f. krafft madduck@madduck.net. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0 COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 martin f. krafft [FIXME: source] Apr 19, 2008 MOLLY-GUARD(8)