Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to extract data from single first cell and copy it notepad? Post 302823807 by Yoda on Thursday 20th of June 2013 12:10:36 AM
Old 06-20-2013
If your source file is a spreadsheet file, then note that it is a binary file format.

You cannot use shell scripts to work on such files. There are perl modules that allow you to work with spreadsheet file. Search CPAN for details.

But if it is a CSV file, it can be done using shell script. If yes, post a representative sample input and desired output in code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy data into a single file plus title

Hi Can anyone help me with the task below? Example: The contents in fileA.txt are: HELLO HOW DO U DO? The contents in fileA.txt are: HI I AM FINE. how to combine the data in 2 files into one with the format below? Case A-fileA.txt HELLO HOW DO U DO? Case B-fileB.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0384
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export into a single cell of excel sheet...

The awk is giving below output: SELECT divrel.child_org_idn org_main_idn NULL ( VARCHAR(200)) div_nam_2 NULL ( VARCHAR(200)) div_nam_3 NULL ( VARCHAR(200)) div_nam_4 NULL ( VARCHAR(200)) div_nam_5 NULL ( VARCHAR(200)) div_nam_6 NULL ( VARCHAR(200)) div_nam_7 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific data content from a long list of data

My input: Data name: ABC001 Data length: 1000 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 10 100 90 1 forward 15 200 185 2 reverse 50 500 450 Data name: XFG110 Data length: 100 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 50 100 50 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to fill the name of the spread sheet as a cell's data

In open office spreadsheet, i would like to fill a cell with the name of the spread sheet. That is if the file name of spread sheet is, team.ods, then i have to fill a specific cell with that name 'team'. How to do that ? I have more spread sheets to be created, so i want it to be done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract last cell of csv file

How do I extract the last cell in a column of a csv file using linux shell scripting? Or alternatively, how do I get the number of cells of a csv file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge

:confused:Hello -- i just joined the forums. I am a complete noob -- only about 1 week into learning how to program anything... and starting with linux. I am working in Linux terminal. I have a folder with a bunch of txt files. Each file has several lines of html code. I want to combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetsetter
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Append data to existing excel cell

Hello All, I have the following code in PERL to write data to excel sheet. Can someone please help me about how to append data to an exisitng cell? For ex in the below given case,Cell 1,1 has Active State PERL Now I want to add a new line like "prorgamming" without overwritting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

9. Solaris

More > 1 TB single file cant copy

good evening, hi, I have problem for copy file, size more > 1 TB, just only for single file. error said, capacity not enough, even my storage I set to 4 TB, file always reject during finish copy. but, if I copy with multiple file/separate file, total calculation file is 2 TB, always success.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: katumping
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Combine multi-row cell into a single line

My CSV file looks similar to this example (the K, L, and M are in the same cell as J but each on a new line within that cell): 1, A, B, C, D 2, E, F, G, H 3, I, J N, O, K L M, 4, P, Q, R, S I would like to have it look like this: 1, A,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kim Ashby
6 Replies
tt_message_user(library call)											     tt_message_user(library call)

NAME
tt_message_user -- retrieve the user information associated with a message object SYNOPSIS
#include <Tt/tt_c.h> void *tt_message_user( Tt_message m, int key); DESCRIPTION
The tt_message_user function retrieves the user information stored in data cells associated with the specified message object. The user data is part of the message object (that is, the storage buffer in the application); it is not a part of the actual message. The application can, therefore, only retrieve user information that the application placed in the message. The m argument is the opaque handle for the message involved in this operation. The key argument is the user data cell to be retrieved. The user data cell must be unique for this message. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, the tt_message_user function returns the data cell, a piece of arbitrary user data that can hold a void *. The application can use tt_ptr_error(3) to extract one of the following Tt_status values from the returned data: TT_OK The operation completed successfully. TT_ERR_NOMP The ttsession(1) process is not running and the ToolTalk service cannot restart it. TT_ERR_POINTER The pointer passed does not point to an object of the correct type for this operation. APPLICATION USAGE
The application should use tt_free(3) to free any data stored in the address returned by the ToolTalk API. The user data cell is intended to hold an address. If the address selected is equal to one of the Tt_status enumerated values, the result of the tt_ptr_error(3) function will not be reliable. SEE ALSO
Tt/tt_c.h - Tttt_c(5), tt_ptr_error(3), tt_free(3). tt_message_user(library call)