Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Invalid null command error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Invalid null command error Post 302823687 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of June 2013 04:27:42 PM
Old 06-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by juzz4fun
I guess somewhere down the line, \ is the culprit .... need to get rid of it...
Just so. Some versions of csh have bugs related to it. The ad-hoc parser strikes again.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

01.30 Invalid shell error

Hi, I am getting the error 01.30 Invalid shell error I am running the bash shell script in the korn login shell. I have mentioned the #!/bin/bash statement in the my script but not sure why it is giving this error to me.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invalid Command Name

I have telnet to a machine and executed some commands in it. pls see below : #!/usr/bin/expect spawn telnet 170.10.11.1 2100 expect "login:" send username\r expect "password:" send password\r expect "$" send "touch filetest\r" expect "$" send exit\r expect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharsan23
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

invalid null command

#! /bin/csh set pattern = "" set deli = | foreach i ( `cat pattern`) set pattern = "$pattern$deli$i" end all i want to accomplish is create a string a|b|c, but instead I got an invalid null command error, thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

?Invalid Command

when i am executing the script i am getting ?Invalid command though the script is right. Could any one please let me know how to overcome this problem. Urgent Please Thanks a lot in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd: ERROR: invalid syntax

Hello - I have the below script syncToken=None;\ forceDeleteUserHome=true;\ nisPwdDir=/etc;\ mirrorFilesLocation=/etc/connector_mirror_files;\ removeHomeDirContents=true;\ shadow=false;\ connectorPrompt=#;\ nisBuildDirectory=/var/yp;\ PGROUP=nogroup;\ COMMENTS='Comments\\ with\\... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manju--
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

ERROR[55]: Invalid or inaccessible system ID

Hi all, I was changing a motherboard which has the MP console down on an rx4640. I am receiving the following error: ERROR: Invalid or inaccessible system ID(s) then it takes me to the EFI where it doesn't boot from the primary path. I contacted a colleague who already replaced two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MazenH
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed error: invalid reference

Hello all, I am using sed to parse a particular part of a string and am having problems. I am getting the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 28: invalid reference \1 on `s' command's RHS Here is the code I am using: echo "Alarm SET:" echo "" echo "Date: " $DATE echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlundwall
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP - Invalid command

Hi All, OS - Linux I wrote a ftp program to download a file. the file is downloading successfully, but a negative message is prompting. i placed set -vx in code to trace. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -vx st_date=$(date) Logfile=/home/user/ftp_dwnload.$st_date.log cd /home/usr/data/ print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop read command and print valid invalid states.?

My question is how would i loop a read command to keep asking the user for input and eventually print the no. of valid invalid inputs after a specified control input typed i.e. (-3). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Flowoftruth
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Eeprom security-mode=command cause invalid login

Hi there, In Solaris 8. I have accidentally set the eeprom security-mode=command because I followed the CIS benchmark guideline. Initally, it was eeprom security-mode=none. I have tried to login with the correct password numerous time and it still say permission denied. I have tried to login... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
4 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)