Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Find and Chown all files in a DIR except for Root Post 302823675 by gps1976 on Wednesday 19th of June 2013 04:16:45 PM
Old 06-19-2013
Find and Chown all files in a DIR except for Root

RHEL 6.3
Could someone tell me how to use the find and chown command to replace all files in a directory owned by user1 (for this example) and replace with user1:group1? Most importantly I dont want to change any files owned by root. I recently used the following command but it changed the root files too.

Code:
find . -user user1 -exec chown -R user1:group1 {} \;

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 06-19-2013 at 05:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setuid root and chown

I am trying to run chown and chmod from a script owned by root. The permissions are set to 4755 so that users can execute the script as root. However, when I run the script as a user other than root, I get "Operation not permitted" for both chown and chmod. Any ideas as to why this is? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root dir ? home dir ?

I am little bit confused when the words "root directory" and "home directory" and "parent directory" are used. Can anybody explains the difference. I am trying to list the names and protections levels and size of visible files in the root directory would it be correct if I just typed: ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hinman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and purge a files in a dir

HI All, I have recuirement to purge the files in a directory . In that directory i an having many sub-directory . When i use find command like find ~/work/test/insert -name "*.*" -mtime +12 it is listing the file not accesed before 12 , It also takes the subdirectories inside the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find sticky bit dir/files

I need to find all sticky bit dir/files on my system and clean them up if necessary. How to I write a script to do this? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown -R under root directory

Hi I executed command "chown -R xxx:xxx /" with user root... and it was too late when I found the mistake. Ownership of some files under the root directory had already become xxx:xxx. Is there a way that can recovery the ownership of all my files back to the point where they were? I really thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

CPIO Problem, copy to the root dir / instead of current dir

HI all, I got a CPIO archive that contains a unix filesystem that I try to extract, but it extract to the root dir / unstead of current dir, and happily it detects my file are newer otherwise it would have overwrited my system's file! I tried all these commands cpio -i --make-directories <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script to find dir, delete files in, and then del dir?

Hello!! I have directories from 2008, with files in them. I want to create a script that will find the directoried from 2008 (example directory: drwxr-xr-x 2 isplan users 1024 Nov 21 2008 FILES_112108), delete the files within those directories and then delete the directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find command to find exact dir from the root

I want to find a dir called STOP from the root.so what is the find command. Thanks & Regards Rajkumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Operation not permitted as root

Hi Expert, I am trying to change ownership of one file to another user that is exist in the system but getting operation not permitted error what could be the correct way? # ls -lh .Xauthority_ori -rw------- 1 maxim atlas 2.8K Jul 27 17:18 .Xauthority_ori # id -a uid=0(root)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Find paths of multiple files in CC (dir and sub-dir))

Dear Members, I have a list of xml files like abc.xml.table prq.xml.table ... .. . in a txt file. Now I have to search the file(s) in all directories and sub-directories and print the full path of file in a output txt file. Please help me with the script or command to do so. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
11 Replies
sulog(4)							   File Formats 							  sulog(4)

NAME
sulog - su command log file SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/sulog DESCRIPTION
The sulog file is a record of all attempts by users on the system to execute the su(1M) command. Each time su(1M) is executed, an entry is added to the sulog file. Each entry in the sulog file is a single line of the form: SU date time result port user-newuser where date The month and date su(1M) was executed. date is displayed in the form mm/dd where mm is the month number and dd is the day number in the month. time The time su(1M) was executed. time is displayed in the form HH/MM where HH is the hour number (24 hour system) and MM is the minute number. result The result of the su(1M) command. A ` + ' sign is displayed in this field if the su attempt was successful; otherwise a ` - ' sign is displayed. port The name of the terminal device from which su(1M) was executed. user The user id of the user executing the su(1M) command. newuser The user id being switched to with su(1M). EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample sulog file. Here is a sample sulog file: SU 02/25 09:29 + console root-sys SU 02/25 09:32 + pts/3 user1-root SU 03/02 08:03 + pts/5 user1-root SU 03/03 08:19 + pts/5 user1-root SU 03/09 14:24 - pts/5 guest3-root SU 03/09 14:24 - pts/5 guest3-root SU 03/14 08:31 + pts/4 user1-root FILES
/var/adm/sulog su log file /etc/default/su contains the default location of sulog SEE ALSO
su(1M) SunOS 5.11 6 Jun 1994 sulog(4)