Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about awk - create a user-defined variable Post 302822577 by PikK45 on Tuesday 18th of June 2013 01:10:33 AM
Old 06-18-2013
When I tried this in AWK, it is all fine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with a user defined variable

I have a file that has a list of entries in a column x z z z x y z The column can have any length and any number of any strings. I need to replace each unique string with a user defined number. I can filter the unique entries out using awk '{if (NF==5) print $2}' file | uniq | nl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ce124
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Force Input in User Defined Variable

In a line such as: echo -n "How many days back would you like to check? "; read days How can I ensure that the user has a.) entered a number between 1-30 (not 0 or 31+) and b.) has not just hit enter (ie set it to "") and if it's entered wrong, how do I start the if statement over? I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf for user defined variables

I am working on a SunFire 480 - uname -a gives: SunOS bsmdb02 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R I am tyring to sum up the total size of all the directories for each running database using awk: #!/usr/bin/ksh for Database in `ps -efl | grep "ora_pmon" | grep -v grep |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jabberwocky
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return an array of strings from user defined function in awk

Hello Friends, Is it possible to return an array from a user defined function in awk ? example: gawk ' BEGIN{} { catch_line = my_function(i) print catch_line print catch_line print catch_line } function my_function(i) { print "echo" line= "awk" line= "gawk"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to add user defined variable

Hi, I have a user defined variable _TIME1=xxx I am using awk command for pattern matching. cat $_LOCATION/catalina.txt | awk '/^`$_TIME1`:??:??/' It not taking the value of $_TIME! eg:I am using the command to get all the patter from 12:00:00 to 12:59:59 The user defined variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User defined functions in awk

Hi; Is der ne to to use user defined functions for the values in awk find $1 -type f -ls | nawk '{{print "|"$3"|"$5"|"$6"|"$8"|"$9"|"$10"|"} for(i=11;i<=NF;i++){printf("%s",$i)}}' In above command i want to append some values returned by user functions on line. thnks; ajay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX : User Defined Authorizations Question

Hello everyone, We have got a Server say Testserver with AIX 6.1 running on it. We want to create user defined authorization for syslogd, ntpd and named . We don't want to use pre-defined authorization (aix.network.daemon). Is it possible to create an independent authorization for commands?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolr
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] awk: placement of user-defined functions

Hi folks, is there any recommendation, especially from a point of performance, about where to place a user-defined function in awk, like in BEGIN{} or if it is only need once at the end in END{}? Or doesn't it matter at all since, awk is so clever and only interprets it once, wherever it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: use variable defined in begin

Hi there, I'm working with file more than 400K lines, 60 columns. Column count is going to be multiple of 12: 60, 12, 72 or so. NF/12 gives me on how many iterations I've to do to check certain value. For example: 7, 14th if only 24 columns in file. 7th, 14th and 21st if 36 columns in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Call user defined function from awk

My requirement is to call function ("fun1") from awk, and print its returned value along with $0. fun1() { t=$1 printf "%02d\n", $t % 60; } echo "Hi There 23" | awk '{print $0; system(fun1 $3)}' Any suggestions what to be modified in above code to achieve requirement.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
5 Replies
DOTTY(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     DOTTY(1)

NAME
dotty - A Customizable Graph Editor SYNOPSIS
dotty [ -V ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
dotty is a graph editor for the X Window System. It may be run as a standalone editor, or as a front end for applications that use graphs. It can control multiple windows viewing different graphs. dotty is written on top of dot and lefty. lefty is a general-purpose programmable editor for technical pictures. It has an interpretive programming language similar to AWK and C. The user interface and graph editing operations of dotty are written as lefty functions. Pro- grammer-defined graph operations may be loaded as well. Graph layouts are made by dot, which runs as a separate process that communicates with lefty through pipes. USAGE
The file name is optional. If present, the graph contained in that file is displayed in the dotty window. OPTIONS
-V Prints the version. SEE ALSO
dot(1), lefty(1) dotty user guide. DOTTY(1)