Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alias to Open new terminal?
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Alias to Open new terminal? Post 302820837 by verdepollo on Thursday 13th of June 2013 02:02:39 PM
Old 06-13-2013
I'm not getting you fully, but one way to do it is as below. This assumes you have an Xserver available and that xterm is installed:
Code:
alias vi="xterm -e vi /etc/bashrc &"

I wonder why don't you edit it directly, though?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

open terminal to run cmd using shell script

i want the shell script to open the terminal and in that terminal i want to run a command specified in the script... how can it be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrabhushan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How to open and arrange terminal windows automatically under CDE?

Hi, Is there a way to open and arrange terminal windows automatically under CDE? For example, I want to open and arrange terminal windows like this: |------------| | TW TW TW | | TW TW TW | | TW TW TW | |------------| Thank you in advanced! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to open a pdf file from terminal?

how to open a .pdf file from terminal not using gpdf I work on fedora 12 and default application assigned for viewing the pdf files is document-viewer (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Open Terminal Don't work

Hi, I installed solaris 10 x86 on my local system. it was working fine. today when i started the system, it started up without any problem. when i tried to open the terminal it didn't open any terminal. Plz help me (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

How to make a new terminal tab open in the same directory the current one?

I want to press "apple + T" to open a new terminal tab. This terminal tab must be in the same directory as the current one. Anyone knows how to do that? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrewust
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to open terminal automatically.

hi, I am using red hat .I want that when ever the user login in GUI interface the terminal windows automatically open and then the user want to logout it 1st close the terminal and then login. There is a file in #ls -a i.e .bashrc and .bash_logout I does not know how to add my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mypass
0 Replies

7. Linux

How to open a gnome-terminal in specific workspace and run script within it automatically upon login

OK this is a bit messy. I run Fedora with gnome on a compiz desktop, I have a script (userstart) that opens my 'standard' environment for all my machines when I login. userstart flips to a specific workspace and then opens the required applications in that workspace then flips to the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
2 Replies

8. Fedora

How to use terminal while keeping a program open?

hi all, I open Matlab program from terminal. However, when I go back to terminal I can't do anything in it , only until Matlab is closed. Can someone please advise me on how I can oversome this problem ? thanks peter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter_071
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

When trying to open file Message:-Terminal too wide?

Hi, I am trying to open small size file only in vi editor on solaris or Linux machine but it giving message "Terminal too wide" and then I have to come out. As shown below:- -rwxr-x--- 1 rkycadm rkycprd 2445 Sep 12 04:06 $ vi file.txt Terminal too wide :q! ----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pssh open terminal?

Hi folks. I'm using pssh to run commands on a cluster, (pis/Raspian/Jessie) but I'm opening a app that runs and runs and runs. It's quite helpful to vnc to a machine to make sure it's still running ok now and then, but they're basically left alone. Of course when pssh runs a command it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
2 Replies
RESIZE(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    RESIZE(1)

NAME
resize - set environment and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ] DESCRIPTION
Resize prints a shell command for setting the appropriate environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc: % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that don't have command functions will need to send the output to a tempo- rary file and then read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out Resize determines the user's current shell by first checking if $SHELL is set, and using that. Otherwise it determines the user's shell by looking in the password file. Generally Bourne-shell variants (including ksh) do not modify $SHELL, so it is possible for resize to be confused if one runs resize from a Bourne shell spawned from a C shell. OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: -u This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/sh. -c This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/csh. -s [rows columns] This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the VT100-style xterm escape codes. If rows and columns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. Note that the Sun console escape sequences are recognized by XFree86 xterm and by dtterm. The resize program may be installed as sunsize, which causes makes it assume the -s option. The rows and columns arguments must appear last; though they are normally associated with the -s option, they are parsed separately. FILES
/etc/termcap for the base termcap entry to modify. ~/.cshrc user's alias for the command. ENVIRONMENT
TERM set to "xterm" if not already set. TERMCAP variable set on systems using termcap COLUMNS, LINES variables set on systems using terminfo SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(7) for a complete copyright notice. X Window System RESIZE(1)