Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with process substitution Post 302819265 by dietmar13 on Monday 10th of June 2013 01:50:29 PM
Old 06-10-2013
Problem with process substitution

i have tried process substitution, but run in some problems.

this works:
Code:

samtools view -h $SAMdir/$b.bam | htseq-count -m union -s no -q -t exon -i gene_id - $gtf > $b.count &

but this not:
Code:

htseq-count -m union -s no -q -t exon -i gene_id <(samtools view -h $SAMdir/$b.bam) $gtf > $b.count &

the error is not fundamental, and some (few) of the runs worked (i looped over a bunch of files). the error indicated a truncated sam-file, that means that one line of the file (which is in a specific format, the sam format) was malformed (some columns are missing). how can the above commands be different?
or has it to do with the multiple processes i started (using &)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution problem.

Hi, Just need some help in this. Suppose there is one file a.txt, which contains this data: "25187","00000022","00",28-MAR-2007,"" ,"D",-000001550,+0000000000,"C", ,+000000000,+000000000,000000000,"2","" ,29-MAR-2007 613TB.STEXTRF1 "25187","0000004H","00",29-MAR-2007,""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

2. AIX

VI Substitution problem

I'm having a problem getting my variables to work in dishing out an RMC script. The $1 works fine. $2 does not Here's a portion of the script: server=$1 filesystem1=$2 # dsh -w $1 'mkcondition -c "/var space used" -s "Name == \"$2\"" -e "PercentTotUsed > 90" -d "An event will be generated... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravy26
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between "Command substitution" and "Process substitution"

Hi, What is the actual difference between these two? Why the following code works for process substitution and fails for command substitution? while IFS= read -r line; do echo $line; done < <(cat file)executes successfully and display the contents of the file But, while IFS='\n' read -r... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can process substitution be used as an input file to another program?

Hey, I was trying to figure out how to launch a program from the command line, and it works if you pass it a config file. I was thinking about writing a script to dynamically create the config file and pass it to the command using something like command substitution (so I don't actually have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bj0
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process substitution

Just playing around with process substitution. Hoping maybe someone can give me some help on what I'm doing wrong. When this script is run, "Null message body; hope that's ok" is returned and the script hangs. I can't seem to work out what I'm doing wrong. Here is the script: #!/bin/bash... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandelbrot333
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in dollar substitution

Hi, I have a problem in dollar substitution:- $ csv1="first_csv" $ csvnumber=1 $ echo {csv$csvnumber} {csv1} $ echo "${csv$csvnumber}" bad substitution I want first_csv...why is it not working thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another substitution problem

Hello again, I'm trying to change the following line: INSERT INTO PH1_TX_LOAD VALUES ('TX-78731-AABSS:4182-4','RH: GUIDE TO TENNIS',TO_DATE('18-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE('21-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),500) so that any TO_DATE is taken... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution problem

I'm writing my first script and I have all the other commands I'm using working properly, but I'm having one final issue with a sed. I've looked on the forums for some answers, which have been close but sed is quite confusing to me. My problem is that I have a file called CylinderAtom1.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1Aegis1
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Substitution Question?

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum, so please go easy on me. =) I am working on a script to send two e-mail attachments in a single e-mail, and am running into a little bit of an issue when using process substitution. I am using the following: cat <(uuencode $1 <(basename $1)) <(uuencode... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rommager
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot make pipe for process substitution: Too many open files

Hi, I've came across an issue with a script I've been writing to check DHCP addresses on an Solaris system, the script has been running reasonably well, until it hit the following problem: ./sub_mon_v2: redirection error: cannot duplicate fd: Too many open files ./sub_mon_v2: cannot make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
3 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)