Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Initialize Variable Using awk Expression Post 302819219 by Yoda on Monday 10th of June 2013 12:57:06 PM
Old 06-10-2013
The approach that you are using is not recommended. Also using awk inside a shell for loop is an overkill.

Set the IFS to pipe | and read each fields into different variables using a shell while loop:
Code:
while IFS="|" read UNINUM PROVIDER EXTRACT_DT VER_NUM
do
        # action here
done < "${GEN_PARAM_LIST1}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

variable initialize question

I have a question about C program for Unix: Do we have to intialize every variable before we use them in C? I thought we have to untill I found some programs are not intialize the variable before they were used. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Initialize

Hi, i m trying to loop a variable value, Basically i m reading variable value from an input file and using in rest of the program. Bu my problem is when i first time read value and assign to variable it works fine, but in second read it concatinate second value to first value with a LF. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbudy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk - Using a Shell Variable in the Reg Expression

Hi all, I have a shell variable $test1 that holds a value derived from some other processing. What I need to do is use that $test1 as the input to a awk regular expression: nawk -F"," -v tester=$test1 ' /tester/{ print $0 } ' $inputFile So what I have is tester... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk's variable in regular expression

Anyone know how I will use awk's variable in a regular expression? This line of code of mine is working, the value PREMS should be a variable: awk '$1 ~ /PREMS/ { if(length(appldata)+2 >= length($1)) print $0; }' appldata=$APPLDATA /tmp/file.tmp The value of APPLDATA variable is PREMS. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - compare $0 to regular expression + variable

Hi, I have this script: awk -v va=45 '$0~va{print}' flo2 That returns: "4526745 1234 " (this is the only line of the file "flo2". However, I would like to get "va" to match the begining of the line, so that is "va" is different than 45 (eg. 67, 12 ...) I would not have any output. That... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Initialize a variable

Hi All, Please can you advise on how can I initialize a variable with a line. Suppose i want to initialize x with line redirects.www.virginatlantic.com.conf Best Regards, Shazin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditional expression to compare field number and variable value

Hi, I'm trying to compare the value in a field to the value in a variable using awk. This works: awk '$7 == "101"'but this is what I want (and it doesn't work): value=101 awk '$7 == "$value"' Any help or insight on this would be great. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable expression and while

hi, i'm reading a file "LISTE_FILE" like : # $LOGCOM * 5 $PRCCOM * 10 and i want to use the file with "while" and having the fields splitted into new variables for treatment : while read LINE do # Ignorer les commentaires un # en premiere position if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

initialize a variable only once

hi, i have a script which needs to be run every 10 minutes.This is achieved using crontab utility, it is checking Number of calls on a service... if number of calls are not increasing then it will stop the service else do nothing. Now in the script, i fetch the current value in variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravah
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a regex as variable to awk and using that as regular expression for search

Hi All, I have a sftp session log where I am transferring multi files by issuing "mput abc*.dat". The contents of the logfile is below - ################################################# Connecting to 10.75.112.194... Changing to: /home/dasd9x/testing1 sftp> mput abc*.dat Uploading... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
7 Replies
HXCOPY(1)							  HTML-XML-utils							 HXCOPY(1)

NAME
hxcopy - copy an HTML file and update its relative links SYNOPSIS
hxcopy [ -i old-URL ] [ -o new-URL ] [ file-or-URL [ file-or-URL ] ] DESCRIPTION
The hxcopy command copies its first argument to its second argument, while updating relative links. The input is assumed to be HTML or XHTML and may be slightly reformatted in the process. If the second argument is omitted, hxcopy writes to standard output. In this case the option -o is required. If the first argument is also omitted, hxcopy reads from standard input. In this case the option -i is required. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i old-URL For the purposes of updating relative links, act as if old-URL is the location from which the input is copied. If this option is omitted, the actual location of the first argument is used for calculating relative links. -o new-URL For the purposed of updating relative links, act as if new-URL is the location to which the input is copied. If this option is omitted, the actual location of the second argument is used for calculating relative links. ENVIRONMENT
To use a proxy to retrieve remote files, set the environment variables http_proxy and ftp_proxy. E.g., http_proxy="http://localhost:8080/" BUGS
Unlike the last argument of cp(1), the last argument of hxcopy must be a file, not a directory. The second argument must be a local file. Writing to a URL is not yet implemented. To work around this, replace hxcopy file.html http://example.org/file.html by hxcopy -o http://example.org/file.html file.html tmp.html and then upload tmp.html to the given URL with some other command, such as curl(1). The first argument, however, may be a URL. hxcopy will download the given file. (Currently only HTTP is supported.) EXAMPLE
Assume the HTML file foo.html contains a relative link to "../bar.html". Here are some examples of commands: hxcopy foo.html bar/foo.html The file foo.html is copied to ../bar/foo.html and the relative link to "../bar.html" becomes "../../bar.html". hxcopy foo.html ../foo.html The file foo.html is copied to ../foo.html and the relative link to "../bar.html" is rewritten as "bar.html". hxcopy -i http://my.org/dir1/foo.html -o http://my.org/foo.html file1.html file2.html The file file1.html is copied to file2.html and the relative link to "../bar.html" is rewritten as "bar.html". A command like this may be useful to update files that are later uploaded to a server. SEE ALSO
cp(1), curl(1), hxwls(1) 6.x 9 Dec 2008 HXCOPY(1)