Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Initialize Variable Using awk Expression Post 302819189 by Ariean on Monday 10th of June 2013 12:05:09 PM
Old 06-10-2013
Initialize Variable Using awk Expression

Hello All,
What i am trying to do is read the input file delimited by pipe and do further logic like simulating the for loop but using awk not sure if this a right approach but as i was told doing "for i in `cat $file`" is an over kill so trying to replicate the same thing using awk script below. I am using bash shell and in the below awk expression i have 2 questions

1) Why print $1 is working but not echo $1?
2) How do i initialize or assign a value to the variable UNINUM like UNINUM=`print $1` or UNINUM=$1?

Code:
awk -F\| '
{
#       print "Provider: " $1, " Uninum: " $2, " Extract Date: " $3, " Loading Status: " $4
echo $1
print $1
#UNINUM=$1
echo $UNINUM
}
' "dwh_StageLoadEmail.lst"

dwh_StageLoadEmail.lst
Code:
710119|16|2012-09-30|COMPLETED
610000|16|2012-09-30|COMPLETED
710056|16|2012-09-30|COMPLETED

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

variable initialize question

I have a question about C program for Unix: Do we have to intialize every variable before we use them in C? I thought we have to untill I found some programs are not intialize the variable before they were used. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Initialize

Hi, i m trying to loop a variable value, Basically i m reading variable value from an input file and using in rest of the program. Bu my problem is when i first time read value and assign to variable it works fine, but in second read it concatinate second value to first value with a LF. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbudy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk - Using a Shell Variable in the Reg Expression

Hi all, I have a shell variable $test1 that holds a value derived from some other processing. What I need to do is use that $test1 as the input to a awk regular expression: nawk -F"," -v tester=$test1 ' /tester/{ print $0 } ' $inputFile So what I have is tester... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk's variable in regular expression

Anyone know how I will use awk's variable in a regular expression? This line of code of mine is working, the value PREMS should be a variable: awk '$1 ~ /PREMS/ { if(length(appldata)+2 >= length($1)) print $0; }' appldata=$APPLDATA /tmp/file.tmp The value of APPLDATA variable is PREMS. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - compare $0 to regular expression + variable

Hi, I have this script: awk -v va=45 '$0~va{print}' flo2 That returns: "4526745 1234 " (this is the only line of the file "flo2". However, I would like to get "va" to match the begining of the line, so that is "va" is different than 45 (eg. 67, 12 ...) I would not have any output. That... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Initialize a variable

Hi All, Please can you advise on how can I initialize a variable with a line. Suppose i want to initialize x with line redirects.www.virginatlantic.com.conf Best Regards, Shazin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditional expression to compare field number and variable value

Hi, I'm trying to compare the value in a field to the value in a variable using awk. This works: awk '$7 == "101"'but this is what I want (and it doesn't work): value=101 awk '$7 == "$value"' Any help or insight on this would be great. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable expression and while

hi, i'm reading a file "LISTE_FILE" like : # $LOGCOM * 5 $PRCCOM * 10 and i want to use the file with "while" and having the fields splitted into new variables for treatment : while read LINE do # Ignorer les commentaires un # en premiere position if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

initialize a variable only once

hi, i have a script which needs to be run every 10 minutes.This is achieved using crontab utility, it is checking Number of calls on a service... if number of calls are not increasing then it will stop the service else do nothing. Now in the script, i fetch the current value in variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravah
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a regex as variable to awk and using that as regular expression for search

Hi All, I have a sftp session log where I am transferring multi files by issuing "mput abc*.dat". The contents of the logfile is below - ################################################# Connecting to 10.75.112.194... Changing to: /home/dasd9x/testing1 sftp> mput abc*.dat Uploading... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)