Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 11 disk issue
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 disk issue Post 302818551 by cbtshare on Friday 7th of June 2013 06:12:34 PM
Old 06-07-2013
@jlliagre

So basically what your saying is that I cannot create a partition and then assign that partition to a zpool?

I know I can create filesystems in my zpool and assign SMB or NFS to it, but that is easy. I want to create partitions and then assign respective partitions to different zpools, then create filesystems.

---------- Post updated at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:43 PM ----------

Ok, well after some testing it seems like partitions cannot be used to create zpools, only disk. So I guess I found my answer. Thank you all for helping

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 06-07-2013 at 07:58 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 8 disk/mirroring issue

Hello! I recently inherited system administration duties for a SUN v880 box. The system has 6 physical hard disks.. In doing some basic maintenance, I found they're configured for mirroring. I ran the metastat and metadb commands, and many of the mirrors are showing they are in need of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
5 Replies

2. AIX

disk issue

Hi, I have a AIX 4.3 box here with problems cause of a disk in below VG. volume group: workvg lspv hdisk4 000166789869ab2d workvg hdisk5 000166789869b96b workvg now hdisk4 disk has failed and cause the quorum was set, workvg became varied off. I have to replace the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello, I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives Need to Mirror following drives. Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

partition disk issue

hi guys, I've got a strange issue, may be one of you has experienced this. SunOS 5.10 Generic_118833-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 everything is mirrored. My issue is that I have a umpty directory but seems to have data on. Let me show you # df -h /data Filesystem size used... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moustik
10 Replies

5. AIX

Disk I/O Issue

We have a filesystem which contains 8 hard disks but i am facing disk I/O issue becuase data is not spreading across all the disks.Is there any way i can check how data is spreading and any parameter we need to change to spread ata across all disks. OS--AIX 5.3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

6. Solaris

root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10

Need a procedure document to do "root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10". I hope some one will help me asap. I need to do it production environment. Let me know if you need any deatils on this. Thanks, Rama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 installation issue Error 25: Disk cannot be read - Solved

Hi all, I guess most of you have seen this error message while installing Solaris 10 on an x86 platform. I got the error message while installing from DVD ISO on my home VMWare ESXi server. It took me a long time to figure the exact issue and a subsequent solution. the solution is very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Server disk issue need help

Hello all, Our Solaris 9? Sun Fire 480R backup server(in another city) is throwing disk errors such as these repeatedly. WARNING: vxvm:vxio: Subdisk rootdisk-02 block 24037056: Uncorrectable read error WARNING: vxvm:vxio: Subdisk rootdisk-02 block 7767072: Uncorrectable write error ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: RyanV
18 Replies
PARTX(8)						       System Administration							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the Linux kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It optionally adds or removes partitions. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-". For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than a partition. This is not an fdisk program -- adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Don't use it in newly written scripts. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. The output columns can be rearranged with the --output option. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type -- aix, bsd, dos, gpt, mac, minix, sgi, solaris_x86, sun, ultrix or unixware. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format <M-N> is supported. The range may contain negative numbers, for example "--nr :-1" means the last partition, and "--nr -2:-1" means the last two partitions. Supported range specifi- cations are: <M> Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). <M:> Specifies lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). <:N> Specifies upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). <M:N> or <M-N> Specifies lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 3 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sda without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2011 PARTX(8)