Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX What happened if CPU utilization is near to 100 % in AIX 6.1? Post 302818099 by MichaelFelt on Friday 7th of June 2013 02:45:11 AM
Old 06-07-2013
cpu usage is a machine characteristic - compareable to rpm - and 100% utilization is like being at the end of the red zone. Other than it is high it tells us nothing about the performance of the vehicle - such as mpg (miles per gallon) might.

In other words, study how linear your performance is, in application terms, compared to machine terms, and you will have the best approximation of an answer to your question.

hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

% CPU utilization

Hi, iam new to AIX and had a basic question. I was asked to give a chart of CPU utilization in percentage for every hour. where can i look for information and which column should i look at? I would be very thankful if somebody could respond. Thanks! karthik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Utilization

Dear friends, I am doing a report daily for all most 30 more serves... i need to check out CPU utlization bu (top command, 100 - (ideal value)) and Memory utilization too could some one help me how can i get it directly, if scripts also no problem.. i will very thankful if some one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Utilization

Hi to All, Would you please help me. I would like to know, In Unix How to know CPU utilization for every process. Thanks in Advance. Thanks, Divyang (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: div_Neev
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 6.1 Power6 - Sys CPU utilization twice that of User

Hello, We just purchased two new 4-way (one active one failover) 5Ghz Power6 Servers (failover) with 64GB RAM (32GB per node) runing AIX 6.1 with two LPARs per node connected to our SAN with two 4GB HBAs. The PROD LPAR has 2 dedicated CPUs (4 virtual) and the TEST LPAR has 2 dedicated CPUs. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
3 Replies

6. AIX

CPU Utilization

Hi All, Can some one help me in finding % CPU Utilization ? From VMSTAT command, How we can find % utilization ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VBudatha
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Utilization

I know how to check the CPU utilization and memory space like: vmstat top free What i want ot check on my linux system is... how much CPU are available on my system and do i need to put extra CPU. Also need to check the hardware configuration and the space related to the same ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
3 Replies

8. AIX

How to calculate AIX CPU utilization using lparstat command

Could you please explain about calculate CPU utilization of aix server using lparstat command? Here below i have provided example output from aix test server. System configuration: type=Shared mode=Uncapped smt=On lcpu=4 mem=4096 psize=63 ent=0.50 %user %sys %wait %idle physc %entc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maruthu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cpu utilization by a process has to be mailed if more than 5% on AIX

i am using the below command in order to find the cpu utilization by a user..now i want to mail if the cpu utilization goes beyond 5%....can someone please help me ? ps auxw | sort -r +2 | awk '{ print $3,$1 }' | head -6 | egrep "USER|#anonymous#" %CPU USER 2.0 anonymous Regards,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arorap
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

CPU Utilization and Memory Utilization of Services and Applications

Hi, i am new to linux/RHEL 6.0 and i have two questions. 1) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Services running currently? 2) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Applications running currently? Please help me to find the script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nossam
2 Replies
PMDARPM(1)						      General Commands Manual							PMDARPM(1)

NAME
pmdarpm - RPM packages performance metrics domain agent (PMDA) SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rpm/pmdarpm [-C] [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-r path] [-U username] DESCRIPTION
pmdarpm is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which extracts performance metrics reflecting the state of the RPM package database managed by rpm(1). The rpm PMDA exports metrics that describe each package installed on a system, as well as some cumulative totals. When the RPM database changes the PMDA automatically detects this and uses a background thread to asynchronously refresh its values. A brief description of the pmdarpm command line options follows: -C Verify the package iteration code by scanning the RPM database once, then exiting. Only useful for problem diagnosis and testing. -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named rpm.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdarpm is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -r Specify an alternate path to the RPM database (default is /var/lib/rpm/Packages). -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account. INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names, help text and values for the rpm performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rpm # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rpm # ./Remove pmdarpm is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdarpm $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rpm/help default help text file for the rpm metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rpm/Install installation script for the pmdarpm agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rpm/Remove undo installation script for the pmdarpm agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/rpm.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdarpm PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
PCPIntro(1), pmcd(1), pcp.conf(5) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDARPM(1)