Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: X Windows display
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users X Windows display Post 302817983 by bakunin on Thursday 6th of June 2013 05:55:54 PM
Old 06-06-2013
Another possible reason is access control. If you start a process on system A and this process wants to display a window on the display of system B then system B has to allow this access for system A first.

On a UNIX system this is usually done with the xhost command, the most common form being:

Code:
xhost +

which simply disables access control (allows every host to display windows).

It might be that XP lacked (had deconfigured) such an access control whereas Windows 7 has this enabled.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Remote X-Windows "Display" Access

Hi all, I am trying to get XScrabble running on my two FreeBSD boxes "freeserver" and "freework". When I set it up for two "human" players on "freeserver" it asks me for the X Displays to use, eg. ":0.0" so, I try: Human1 :0.0 Human2 freework:0.0 The problem is I get the error:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to open display from windows to solaris?

How can I telnet from my windows XP machine to my Ultra 60 and run firefox? I am unable to open the display using /usr/openwin/bin/xhost like I do from one Sun machine to another? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ridgeback00
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Help with exporting DISPLAY from Linux to Windows XP

Hi Experts, I am using Cygwin and Xming server to bring back the display from Linux to a Windows machine. I am following the below steps :- 1. Close down all X Servers 2. Run XMing – XLaunch 3. Select Multiple 4. Select Start no clients 5. Tick No Access Control box 6. Click Finish... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: oopsalion
7 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

pass an xpdf display from red hat server to windows ssh workstation

I have a UniVerse database running on a Red Hat EL3 server. If I am on the server console my software can call xpdf giving the name of a target file and it displays very nicely on the console. I have not been able to figure out how to get the display to happen on any of the Windows XP workstations.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dale kelley
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Exporting display to windows machine

hello all, I have been googling alot about my problem and finally thought to post a question. server: SunOS 5.1 64bit pn Sun Netra 240 i need to run an application which shows a gui tool but i believe SunOS cant show the GUI so i need to export the display to my system which is running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wonderwall
3 Replies
SSH-ASKPASS-FULLSCREEN(1)				      General Commands Manual					 SSH-ASKPASS-FULLSCREEN(1)

NAME
ssh-askpass-fullscreen - A simple replacement for ssh-askpass written with gtk2 SYNOPSIS
ssh-askpass-fullscreen DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. gnome-ssh-askpass is a GNOME-based passphrase dialog for use with OpenSSH. It is intended to be called by the ssh-add(1) program and not invoked directly. It allows ssh-add(1) to obtain a passphrase from a user, even if not connected to a terminal (assuming that an X display is available). This happens auto-matically in the case where ssh-add is invoked from one's ~/.xsession or as one of the GNOME startup pro- grams, for example. In order to be called automatically by ssh-add, ssh-askpass-fullscreen should be installed as /usr/bin/ssh-askpass ssh-askpass-fullscreen is a program that... ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables are recognized: GNOME_SSH_ASKPASS_GRAB_SERVER Causes gnome-ssh-askpass to grab the X server before asking for a passphrase. GNOME_SSH_ASKPASS_GRAB_POINTER Causes gnome-ssh-askpass to grab the mouse pointer will be grabbed too. These may have some benefit to security if you don't trust your X server. Keyboard is always grabbed. SEE ALSO ssh-add(1), ssh-askpass(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Marco Presi (Zufus) <zufus@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others) and it is based on that for x11-ssh-askpass by Philip Hands and the one for gnome-ssh-askpass by Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> May 8 , 2004 SSH-ASKPASS-FULLSCREEN(1)