Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Junk characters in Solaris 11 Post 302817443 by solaris_1977 on Wednesday 5th of June 2013 10:11:42 PM
Old 06-05-2013
Junk characters in Solaris 11

Hi,

I rebooted a Solaris 11 box and after that date stamp is coming in junk in almost all directories.
HTML Code:
root@tstilp05 # ls -l
total 112
drwxrwxr-x   9 root     sys           19 juin  1 03:10 adm
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     sys            6 sept. 19 2012 ai
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     bin            3 sept. 19 2012 apache2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          18 févr. 12 09:51 audit -> ../var/share/audit
drwxr-xr-x   5 root     bin            5 sept. 19 2012 cache
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          18 févr. 12 09:51 cores -> ../var/share/cores
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          18 févr. 12 09:51 crash -> ../var/share/crash
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     sys            3 févr. 12 09:59 cron
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     sys            4 sept. 19 2012 db
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin            4 sept. 19 2012 dhcp
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     sys            3 sept. 19 2012 ep
drwx------   4 root     root           4 févr. 12 18:35 explorer
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     sys            4 sept. 19 2012 fm
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin            2 sept. 19 2012 games
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     sys            2 sept. 19 2012 inet
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin            4 févr. 12 10:00 info
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     sys            3 sept. 19 2012 krb5
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     bin            5 févr. 12 09:51 ld
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     sys            2 sept. 19 2012 ldap
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     other          4 sept. 19 2012 lib
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     sys           13 févr. 13 03:10 log
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin            3 juin  1 03:10 logadm
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          17 févr. 12 09:51 mail -> ../var/share/mail
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          16 févr. 12 09:51 nfs -> ../var/share/nfs
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     sys            3 sept. 19 2012 ntp
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root           4 sept. 19 2012 ocm
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     bin            4 sept. 19 2012 openldap
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     sys            6 juin  5 15:34 opt
Anybody face such strange issue ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email ends with Junk Characters

I have written the following code ...to include the Subject, Message Body and Attachment with sendmail. When I send mail from my Unix account to diffrent mail servers like Yahoo , Hotmail etc..I recv the Message Body but there is no newline character at the end of each line.... Also I recv the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Junk characters in file not in Solaris, but visible in linux

Hello All, I have a DOS file which I run a DOS 2 UNIX utility on. When run from Solaris, I can view the file perfectly. But, when run from linux, I see a bunch of junk(^@) at the beginning of every line in the file. Does anyone know the cause of this? COMMAND TO CONVERT: tr -d '\015\032'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
7 Replies

3. Solaris

junk characters in ls -l output in solaris10

Dear all, I have installed Solaris10 in a x86 machine.When the ls -l output is taken,at the Month's place some junk characters appear.Rest everything is fine. Cna somebody help..? thanks :b: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragtechy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding junk characters

Hi, Is there anyway to find the junk characters in a file.Consider the file has data as given below: 123|abc^M|Doctor^C #record 1 234|def|Med #record 2 345|dfg^C|Wrong^V #record 3 The junk characters are highlighted and this is a pipe delimited file. Is there anyway to... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing junk characters

Hi, I have a file with data as given below $cat file1 123|abc|345 345|def|567 The first record is good record. The second record has an invisible junk character like \032. I was replace all the occurences of that invisible character with #. I want to do this for a set of... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

junk characters in the begining of every line

Hi Experts, here is a background to my problem : I am exporting data from teradata using fastexport utility, as varchar data. This pads additional two bytes (2 places as seen in notepad) in the resultset. I have found out other means of avoiding it but can't use varchar option in that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumoka
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep junk characters in a file

hi guys, I am generating a file from datastage (an etl tool). Now the file is having some junk characters like ( Á,L´±,ñ and so on).. I want to use the grep function to figure out all the junk characters and their location. Can somebody help me out in finding it out.. if possible i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Junk Characters

Urgently ur help is needed. Actually my req is i have an input file, that input file may have junk characters (^M, ^Z) etc... eg: cat file name abc^Z addres name2 msdmskd^Z address2 I want to validate the record and display where exactly this junk character resides. I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: help_scr_seeker
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Junk characters in mailx output

I have script which send a mail with top output. The script look like $ cat health.sh #!/bin/sh maillist="email address" rm /home/rtq1/file top -n 1 | head 15 > file cat file | mailx -s "Daily Health Report from `hostname` ..." "${maillist}" But now i am getting some junk characters along... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to remove Junk characters

Hi All, I have a issue that we are getting Junk characters from source and i am not able to load that records to Database. Line breakers Junk Characters (Â and different every time) Japanese Characters Every time I am using grep command and awk -F "\007" to find them and delete that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spradeep86
1 Replies
root_archive(1M)														  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2: Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)