Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] How to separate one line to mutiple line based on certain number of characters? Post 302817197 by ken6503 on Wednesday 5th of June 2013 11:00:22 AM
Old 06-05-2013
[Solved] How to separate one line to mutiple line based on certain number of characters?

hi Gurus,

I need separate a file which is one huge line to multiple lines based on certain number of charactors. for example:
Code:
abcdefghi high abaddffdd

I want to separate the line to multiple lines for every 4 charactors.
the result should be
Code:
abcd
efgh
i hi
gh a
badd
ffdd

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a line based on line number

i want to cut all the entries from the /etc/passwd file in which the uid is> 500 for this i was writing this ,m quiet new to all this.. scripting but on the 6th n 8th line ,, i hav to specify a line number .. to get the commnd working .. but i want to use variable i instead of that ,,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narendra.pant
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display mutiple line in single line

Hi All, I had a file called Input.txt, i need to group up in a single line as 1=ttt and the no of lines may vary bewteen the 1=ttt cat Input.txt 1=ttt,2=xxxxxx, 3=4545 44545, 4=66667 7777, 5=77723 1=ttt, 2=xxxxxx, 3=34436 66 3545, 4=66666, 5=ffffff, 6=uuuuuuu 1=ttt, 2=xxxxxx,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manosubsulo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum number of characters in a line.

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the maximum number of characters that will fit into a single line of a flat file on a unix. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print selection of line based on line number

Hi Unix gurus Basically i am searching for the pattern and getting the line numbers of the grepped pattern. I am trying to print the series of lines from 7 lines before the grepped line number to the grepped line number. I am trying to use the following code. but it is not working. cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help: Awk to control number of characters per line

Hello all, I have the following problem: My input is two sorted files: file1 >1_19_130_F3 T01220131330230213311013000000110000 >1_23_69_F3 T01200211300200200010000001000000 >1_24_124_F3 T010203113002002111111200002010 file2 >1_19_130_F3 24 18 9 18 23 4 11 4 5 9 5 8 15 20 4 4 7 4... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on Number of characters in a line - Vi editor

In the vi editor, there seems to be some limit on the number of characters could be allowed in single line. I tried a line with characters up to 1880. It worked. But when i tried with something of 5000 characters, it doesnt work. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] making each word of a line to a separate line

Hi, I have a line which has n number of words with separated by space. I wanted to make each word as a separate line. for example, i have a file that has line like i am a good boy i want the output like, i am a good (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed delete a line from csv file based on specific data in two separate fields

Hello, :wall: I have a 12 column csv file. I wish to delete the entire line if column 7 = hello and column 12 = goodbye. I have tried everything that I can find in all of my ref books. I know this does not work /^*,*,*,*,*,*,"hello",*,*,*,*,"goodbye"/d Any ideas? Thanks Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate one line to mutiple line based on one char?

Hi Gurus, I need separate one file which is one huge line to mutiple line. file like abcd # bcd # def # fge # ged I want to get abcd bcd def fge ged Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
4 Replies
Text::Wrap(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   Text::Wrap(3pm)

NAME
Text::Wrap - line wrapping to form simple paragraphs SYNOPSIS
Example 1 use Text::Wrap $initial_tab = " "; # Tab before first line $subsequent_tab = ""; # All other lines flush left print wrap($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); print fill($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); @lines = wrap($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); @paragraphs = fill($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); Example 2 use Text::Wrap qw(wrap $columns $huge); $columns = 132; # Wrap at 132 characters $huge = 'die'; $huge = 'wrap'; $huge = 'overflow'; Example 3 use Text::Wrap $Text::Wrap::columns = 72; print wrap('', '', @text); DESCRIPTION
"Text::Wrap::wrap()" is a very simple paragraph formatter. It formats a single paragraph at a time by breaking lines at word boundries. Indentation is controlled for the first line ($initial_tab) and all subsequent lines ($subsequent_tab) independently. Please note: $ini- tial_tab and $subsequent_tab are the literal strings that will be used: it is unlikley you would want to pass in a number. Text::Wrap::fill() is a simple multi-paragraph formatter. It formats each paragraph separately and then joins them together when it's done. It will destory any whitespace in the original text. It breaks text into paragraphs by looking for whitespace after a newline. In other respects it acts like wrap(). OVERRIDES
"Text::Wrap::wrap()" has a number of variables that control its behavior. Because other modules might be using "Text::Wrap::wrap()" it is suggested that you leave these variables alone! If you can't do that, then use "local($Text::Wrap::VARIABLE) = YOURVALUE" when you change the values so that the original value is restored. This "local()" trick will not work if you import the variable into your own namespace. Lines are wrapped at $Text::Wrap::columns columns. $Text::Wrap::columns should be set to the full width of your output device. In fact, every resulting line will have length of no more than "$columns - 1". It is possible to control which characters terminate words by modifying $Text::Wrap::break. Set this to a string such as '[s:]' (to break before spaces or colons) or a pre-compiled regexp such as "qr/[s']/" (to break before spaces or apostrophes). The default is simply 's'; that is, words are terminated by spaces. (This means, among other things, that trailing punctuation such as full stops or commas stay with the word they are "attached" to.) Beginner note: In example 2, above $columns is imported into the local namespace, and set locally. In example 3, $Text::Wrap::columns is set in its own namespace without importing it. "Text::Wrap::wrap()" starts its work by expanding all the tabs in its input into spaces. The last thing it does it to turn spaces back into tabs. If you do not want tabs in your results, set $Text::Wrap::unexapand to a false value. Likewise if you do not want to use 8-character tabstops, set $Text::Wrap::tabstop to the number of characters you do want for your tabstops. If you want to separate your lines with something other than " " then set $Text::Wrap::seporator to your preference. When words that are longer than $columns are encountered, they are broken up. "wrap()" adds a " " at column $columns. This behavior can be overridden by setting $huge to 'die' or to 'overflow'. When set to 'die', large words will cause "die()" to be called. When set to 'overflow', large words will be left intact. Historical notes: 'die' used to be the default value of $huge. Now, 'wrap' is the default value. EXAMPLE
print wrap(" ","","This is a bit of text that forms a normal book-style paragraph"); AUTHOR
David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com> with help from Tim Pierce and many many others. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Text::Wrap(3pm)