Sponsored Content
The Lounge War Stories Prize of being an Admin - Part 2 Post 302816773 by saurabh.mishra on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 02:05:09 PM
Old 06-04-2013
Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Me too.

Windows admins can count?
Would it not be fair to say that windows admin are much simpler and easy to go around and talk around with. By no means I want to be disgraceful to anyone
My point is things when they are too simple as unix is meant to be as everything is a file they actually become complicated.
What feels more simple calling something as a device file or media just think from the perspective of every day user.
I feel unix was meant to be simple but people who carry it have made it complicated.
I recall my first job when I just had to bounce tomcat however I was fresh out of school and could not catch the terminology and went ahead asking a very senior guy and found out they just wanted a restart.
Why can't we call a restart as a restart although we type restart

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing part of header with part of detailed records.

Hi there, I am lil confused with the following issue. I have a File, which has the following header: IMSHRATE_043008_101016 a sample detailed record is :9820101 A982005000CAVG030108000000000000010169000MAR 2008 9820102 MAR 2008 D030108 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmaroju
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

3. War Stories

Prize of being an Admin

Was wondering if anyone has come across any situation where you do your best to help users and in return you get a nice escalation from top level management! Here's my story: One fine morning, I was sitting idle, doing next to nothing, I got an alert from helpdesk people about a problem with... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
30 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a loop to read the input from a file part by part?

Hi All, We've a VDI infrastructure in AWS (AWS workspaces) and we're planning to automate the process of provisioning workspaces. Instead of going to GUI console, and launching workspaces by selecting individual users is little time consuming. Thus, I want to create them in bunches from AWS CLI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_adm
6 Replies
dxfileshare(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    dxfileshare(8)

NAME
dxfileshare - Exports local directories and mounts directories from the network SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxfileshare DESCRIPTION
Use the File Sharing application, dxfileshare, to: Export (or share) local UNIX directories to the network Stop exporting UNIX local direc- tories to the network Specify which directories mounted from the network are to be remounted every time the system is rebooted, that is, add an entry to the /etc/fstab file Add, change, or delete NFS entries from the /etc/exports file Share local UNIX directories with a per- sonal computer (PC) when Advanced Server for UNIX is installed on your system Display local directories that are shared (exported) with the network Display network mounts (directories that can be mounted from the network) The File Sharing application can also be invoked from the CDE Application Manager from the following categories: Application Group: System_Admin System Admin Subgroup: Daily Admin Online help is available for the File Sharing application by clicking on any Help button or using the Help pull-down menu. RESTRICTIONS
You must have root privileges to use certain features of File Sharing. Namely, the ability to export (or share) a directory or to modify the properties of a directory that is already being exported. You must have Advanced Server for UNIX installed on your system to share local directories with PCs. FILES
Defaults that are shared by the graphical and command line user interface. File Sharing uses the same file as the Host Manager application. File Sharing application File Sharing help volume Directory containing File Sharing application icons Application defaults file that sets the default values for the X resources File Sharing message catalog Message catalog containing File Sharing location IDs for on-item help i18n_motif_shared_text.cat Message catalog containing application-independent messages i18n_motif_shared_text_LocIds.cat Message catalog containing application-independent location IDs for on-item help SEE ALSO
Commands: X(1X), automount(8), bcheckrc(8), mount(8), mountd(8), showmount(8), umount(8) Functions: getfsstat(2), getmntinfo(3), getmntinfo_r(3), mount(2), mount(2sv), umount(2), umount(2sv), umount(3) Files: exports(4), fstab(4), mountdtab(4) Tru64 UNIX System Administration ASU Installation and Administration Guide ASU Concepts and Planning Guide dxfileshare(8)