Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Egrep issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Egrep issue Post 302816723 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 12:43:02 PM
Old 06-04-2013
Note for Joeyg's example: shells will try to glob (find matching files names for) the ** characters.

In bash (as an example) you can turn off globbing with
Code:
set -o noglob

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help

How can i make something like if (echo "$arg2" | egrep -s '^+\.+km/h+$|^+km/h+$'); then not to output the value of $arg2 on the screen, evertime i get match it outputs the value of the variable on the screen which i don't need to do. I know for grep its -q option but it doesn't work for egrep.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vozx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with egrep

I have a file called alert.log containing the following: WARNING: received KRVX_OPER_CANNOT_SUPPORT knlldmm: gdbnm=CROOP knlldmm: objn=23793 knlldmm: objv=1 knlldmm: scn=5189816456 knllgobjinfo: MISSING Streams multi-version data dictionary!!! knlldmm: gdbnm=FDROP knlldmm: objn=49385... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: akDBA
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help

Hi there, Im having some issues using egrep, I have a text file containing server logs: the user imputs 2 arguments, which are error checked and made into $searchMonth $searchYear respectivley. I then do the grep command: egrep /$searchMonth/ $file | egrep /$searchYear: | wc -l ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Darklight
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on egrep

Hi there, How many multiple values can be in egrep for seraching? i am giving more values but i am getting the error like Unknown error. My input in extended to 2nd line. my command is like below. egrep -i -h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

RegExp and egrep issue

I would like to to catch the ip at the following line with egrep and regexp: ip = 192.9.110.20 and I built the following regexp to do it: (?<=ip\s=\s)\S+ when I check it with regexp simulator, it works but when I use it in the following egrep command it doesn't work - egrep -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: datrigger
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help

hi, i'm using egrep -i to search thru some text files for keywords (also stored in a file). egrep does wildcard search aka %keyword% as long as the keyword is found, it will be spool to a file meaning if keyword is 'xyz' 123 aabgdggjxyzslgj 124 xyzgjksgjd returns 123... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bing
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using egrep.

I have a text file which has the content starting with "....." Not able to filter out lines staring with "....." Is there anything wrong with grep stagement ?? .....processing table 2 of 2 .....migration process started at 2012-10-04 05:00:28 .....estimated # of rows 169,830... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue when using egrep to extract strings (too many strings)

Dear all, I have a data like below (n of rows=400,000) and I want to extract the rows with certain strings. I use code below. It works if there is not too many strings for example n of strings <5000. while I have 90,000 strings to extract. If I use the egrep code below, I will get error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
3 Replies
Text::Glob(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Text::Glob(3pm)

NAME
Text::Glob - match globbing patterns against text SYNOPSIS
use Text::Glob qw( match_glob glob_to_regex ); print "matched " if match_glob( "foo.*", "foo.bar" ); # prints foo.bar and foo.baz my $regex = glob_to_regex( "foo.*" ); for ( qw( foo.bar foo.baz foo bar ) ) { print "matched: $_ " if /$regex/; } DESCRIPTION
Text::Glob implements glob(3) style matching that can be used to match against text, rather than fetching names from a filesystem. If you want to do full file globbing use the File::Glob module instead. Routines match_glob( $glob, @things_to_test ) Returns the list of things which match the glob from the source list. glob_to_regex( $glob ) Returns a compiled regex which is the equivalent of the globbing pattern. glob_to_regex_string( $glob ) Returns a regex string which is the equivalent of the globbing pattern. SYNTAX
The following metacharacters and rules are respected. "*" - match zero or more characters "a*" matches "a", "aa", "aaaa" and many many more. "?" - match exactly one character "a?" matches "aa", but not "a", or "aaa" Character sets/ranges "example.[ch]" matches "example.c" and "example.h" "demo.[a-c]" matches "demo.a", "demo.b", and "demo.c" alternation "example.{foo,bar,baz}" matches "example.foo", "example.bar", and "example.baz" leading . must be explictly matched "*.foo" does not match ".bar.foo". For this you must either specify the leading . in the glob pattern (".*.foo"), or set $Text::Glob::strict_leading_dot to a false value while compiling the regex. "*" and "?" do not match / "*.foo" does not match "bar/baz.foo". For this you must either explicitly match the / in the glob ("*/*.foo"), or set $Text::Glob::strict_wildcard_slash to a false value with compiling the regex. BUGS
The code uses qr// to produce compiled regexes, therefore this module requires perl version 5.005_03 or newer. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Glob, glob(3) perl v5.10.1 2011-03-05 Text::Glob(3pm)