Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed will not write to same file Post 302816669 by Corona688 on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 11:32:09 AM
Old 06-04-2013
To summarize Don Cragun's post, I'm amazed how often people do ls -l then just throw away all that extra output. The -l is optional! You're making yourself do extra work!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to read and write to very same file

This is likely to be a dumb one. How can I use sed to substitute string occurances having it read from an input file and write to this very same file ? I have a file with lots of occurances of '2006', I want to change it to '2007', but I'd like these changes to be saved on the input file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Write Sed Function

hi iam facing problem regarding sed function. give me reply with example of sed function. and what to meanings of $# and @ in scripting please as reply as soon as possible (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng.81
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED command for read and write to different files

Hi I need some help on SED command I am writing a shell script which does the following: 1. Read one line at a time from a file abc.txt which has millions of lines 2. Prefix each line read with some text " 3. Post fix each line read with a quote " 4. Write the new modified... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav_1711
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to write horizontally & sequentially in a file

Hey there I have two commands to get exactly the data i want but.. i want to write them into a file side by side and in the same order so that they always match. So what i'm hoping to learn from this thread is some of the different ways one could take the output of grepped data and write them in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - write remaining input and quit?

I'm an infrequent user of sed. I searched this and other forums and read quite a bit of the O'Reilly book for an answer without luck. In my script I want sed to write the remainder of the input file and quit if it matches a pattern. e.g /Google/ Does anyone have an answer? thank. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyledp
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works from cmd line to standard output but will not write to file

Hi all .... vexing problem here ... I am using sed to replace some special characters in a .txt file: sed -e 's/_<ED>_/_355_/g;s/_<F3>_/_363_/g;s/_<E1>_/_341_/g' filename.txt This command replaces <ED> with í , <F3> with ó and <E1> with á. When I run the command to standard output, it works... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crumplecrap
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed problem to write Db insertion statement

Hi There, I am trying to load data from a csv file into a DB during our DB migration phase. I am successfully able export all data into a .csv file but those have to rewritten in terms insert statement which will allow for further population of same data in different DB My exiting csv record... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device

Hi , In file first line start with "",when trying to remove using sed i am getting the below error .Please advise sed -e 's///g' -e 's/$]//g' segment1.txt >>segment_m1 sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device Thanks, Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a space with sed?

Hi, I wish insert a line into a file, I created it with : #-------------------------------------------------------------- # The loopback network interface #-------------------------------------------------------------- auto lo iface lo inet loopback ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
7 Replies
clfmerge(1)							     logtools							       clfmerge(1)

NAME
clfmerge - merge Common-Log Format web logs based on time-stamps SYNOPSIS
clfmerge [--help | -h] [-b size] [-d] [file names] DESCRIPTION
The clfmerge program is designed to avoid using sort to merge multiple web log files. Web logs for big sites consist of multiple files in the >100M size range from a number of machines. For such files it is not practical to use a program such as gnusort to merge the files because the data is not always entirely in order (so the merge option of gnusort doesn't work so well), but it is not in random order (so doing a complete sort would be a waste). Also the date field that is being sorted on is not particularly easy to specify for gnusort (I have seen it done but it was messy). This program is designed to simply and quickly sort multiple large log files with no need for temporary storage space or overly large buf- fers in memory (the memory footprint is generally only a few megs). OVERVIEW
It will take a number (from 0 to n) of file-names on the command line, it will open them for reading and read CLF format web log data from them all. Lines which don't appear to be in CLF format (NB they aren't parsed fully, only minimal parsing to determine the date is per- formed) will be rejected and displayed on standard-error. If zero files are specified then there will be no error, it will just silently output nothing, this is for scripts which use the find com- mand to find log files and which can't be counted on to find any log files, it saves doing an extra check in your shell scripts. If one file is specified then the data will be read into a 1000 line buffer and it will be removed from the buffer (and displayed on stan- dard output) in date order. This is to handle the case of web servers which date entries on the connection time but write them to the log at completion time and thus generate log files that aren't in order (Netscape web server does this - I haven't checked what other web servers do). If more than one file is specified then a line will be read from each file, the file that had the earliest time stamp will be read from until it returns a time stamp later than one of the other files. Then the file with the earlier time stamp will be read. With multiple files the buffer size is 1000 lines or 100 * the number of files (whichever is larger). When the buffer becomes full the first line will be removed and displayed on standard output. OPTIONS
-b buffer-size Specify the buffer-size to use, if 0 is specified then it means to disable the sliding-window sorting of the data which improves the speed. -d Set domain-name mangling to on. This means that if a line starts with as the name of the site that was requested then that would be removed from the start of the line and the GET / would be changed to GET http://www.company.com/ which allows programs like Webal- izer to produce good graphs for large hosting sites. Also it will make the domain name in lower case. EXIT STATUS
0 No errors 1 Bad parameters 2 Can't open one of the specified files 3 Can't write to output AUTHOR
This program, its manual page, and the Debian package were written by Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>. SEE ALSO
clfsplit(1),clfdomainsplit(1) Russell Coker <;russell@coker.com.au> 0.06 clfmerge(1)