Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed will not write to same file Post 302816415 by rveri on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 03:44:18 AM
Old 06-04-2013
Hi bbaumg02,

Here you go, with classic ed,

Code:
ls --sort=extension > directory.txt
echo "Enter you user name..."
read input
printf "1i\n$input\n.\nw\nq" | ed -s directory.txt

date=`date`
printf "2i\n$date\n.\nw\nq" | ed -s directory.txt
echo "The operation completed successfully."

ed works where sed won't
Enjoy , Have fun!.

---------- Post updated 06-04-13 at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous update was 06-03-13 at 11:06 PM ----------

bbaumg02,
Here how it ll look like:

Code:
$./script
Enter you user name...
JOHN
The operation completed successfully.

Code:
$ ls -lrt
total 20
-rwxrwxr-x 1 adms adms 236 Jun  4 00:39 script
-rw-rw-r-- 1 adms adms  98 Jun  4 00:39 test1
-rw-rw-r-- 1 adms adms 144 Jun  4 00:39 test3
-rw-rw-r-- 1 adms adms 144 Jun  4 00:39 test2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 adms adms   0 Jun  4 00:40 unix.com
-rw-rw-r-- 1 adms adms  79 Jun  4 00:40 directory.txt
$
$ cat directory.txt
JOHN
Tue Jun  4 00:40:42 PDT 2013
script
test1
test2
test3
unix.com
directory.txt
$

Hope this is what you were looking for.
This User Gave Thanks to rveri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to read and write to very same file

This is likely to be a dumb one. How can I use sed to substitute string occurances having it read from an input file and write to this very same file ? I have a file with lots of occurances of '2006', I want to change it to '2007', but I'd like these changes to be saved on the input file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Write Sed Function

hi iam facing problem regarding sed function. give me reply with example of sed function. and what to meanings of $# and @ in scripting please as reply as soon as possible (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng.81
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED command for read and write to different files

Hi I need some help on SED command I am writing a shell script which does the following: 1. Read one line at a time from a file abc.txt which has millions of lines 2. Prefix each line read with some text " 3. Post fix each line read with a quote " 4. Write the new modified... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav_1711
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to write horizontally & sequentially in a file

Hey there I have two commands to get exactly the data i want but.. i want to write them into a file side by side and in the same order so that they always match. So what i'm hoping to learn from this thread is some of the different ways one could take the output of grepped data and write them in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - write remaining input and quit?

I'm an infrequent user of sed. I searched this and other forums and read quite a bit of the O'Reilly book for an answer without luck. In my script I want sed to write the remainder of the input file and quit if it matches a pattern. e.g /Google/ Does anyone have an answer? thank. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyledp
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works from cmd line to standard output but will not write to file

Hi all .... vexing problem here ... I am using sed to replace some special characters in a .txt file: sed -e 's/_<ED>_/_355_/g;s/_<F3>_/_363_/g;s/_<E1>_/_341_/g' filename.txt This command replaces <ED> with í , <F3> with ó and <E1> with á. When I run the command to standard output, it works... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crumplecrap
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed problem to write Db insertion statement

Hi There, I am trying to load data from a csv file into a DB during our DB migration phase. I am successfully able export all data into a .csv file but those have to rewritten in terms insert statement which will allow for further population of same data in different DB My exiting csv record... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device

Hi , In file first line start with "",when trying to remove using sed i am getting the below error .Please advise sed -e 's///g' -e 's/$]//g' segment1.txt >>segment_m1 sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device Thanks, Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a space with sed?

Hi, I wish insert a line into a file, I created it with : #-------------------------------------------------------------- # The loopback network interface #-------------------------------------------------------------- auto lo iface lo inet loopback ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
7 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD