Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help in faster and quicker grepping Post 302816087 by jim mcnamara on Monday 3rd of June 2013 09:55:26 AM
Old 06-03-2013
Does the word

FLOW

start at the very beginning of the line?

If true and FLOW occurs rarely then,
Code:
grep '^FLOW' filename  | grep  'FLOW - Unable to read the message from MQ within Time Out Period'

is faster because it looks only at the first 4 characters of the line

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Mandrake should be faster.

For some reason 8.1 Mandrake Linux seems much slower than Windows 2000 with my cable modem. DSL reports test says they conferable speed with Windows2 though. This is consistant slow with both of my boxes, at the same time. Linux used to be faster, but not with Mandrake. Any way to fix this? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancest
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

faster way to loop?

Sample Log file IP.address Date&TimeStamp GET/POST URL ETC 123.45.67.89 MMDDYYYYHHMM GET myURL http://ABC.com 123.45.67.90 MMDDYYYYHHMM GET myURL http://XYZ.com I have a very huge web server log file (about 1.3GB) that contains entries like the one above. I need to get the last entries of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster then cp ?

Hi , I need to copy every day about 35GB of files from one file system to another. Im using the cp command and its toke me about 25 min. I also tried to use dd command but its toke much more. Is there better option ? Regards. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep faster ?

Hi I have to grep for 2000 strings in a file one after the other.Say the file name is Snxx.out which has these strings. I have to search for all the strings in the file Snxx.out one after the other. What is the fastest way to do it ?? Note:The current grep process is taking lot of time per... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which is faster AWK or CUT

If I just wanted to get andred08 from the following ldap dn would I be best to use AWK or CUT? uid=andred08,ou=People,o=example,dc=com It doesn't make a difference if it's just one ldap search I am getting it from but when there's a couple of hundred people in the group that retruns all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dopple
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which command will be faster? y?

i)wc -c/etc/passwd|awk'{print $1}' ii)ls -al/etc/passwd|awk'{print $5}' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why is RAID0 faster?

I have read anecdotes about people installing RAID0 (RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on some of their machines because it gives a performance boost. Because bandwidth on the motherboard is limited, can someone explain exactly why it should be faster? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

any quicker way to list disc usage by users?

Hi: it takes a long time for "du -sh list_of_users" to give you the output. Is there a quicker way to get this info? Thanks! N.B. Phil (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which system is faster?

i'm trying to decide if to move operations from one of these hosts to the other. but i cant decide which one of them is the most powerful. each host has 8 cpus. HOSTA processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 44 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
page_util_flow(n)					      Parser generator tools						 page_util_flow(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_flow - page dataflow/treewalker utility SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::flow ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::flow start flowvar nodevar script flow visit node flow visitl nodelist flow visita node... _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a single utility command for easy dataflow based manipulation of arbitrary data structures, especially abstract syn- tax trees. API
::page::util::flow start flowvar nodevar script This command contains the core logic to drive the walking of an arbitrary data structure which can partitioned into separate parts. Examples of such structures are trees and graphs. The command makes no assumptions at all about the API of the structure to be walked, except that that its parts, here called nodes, are identified by strings. These strings are taken as is, from the arguments, and the body, and handed back to the body, without modification. Access to the actual data structure, and all decisions regarding which nodes to visit in what order are delegated to the body of the loop, i.e. the script. The body is invoked first for the nodes in the start-set specified via start), and from then on for the nodes the body has requested to be visited. The command stops when the set of nodes to visit becomes empty. Note that a node can be visited more than once. The body has complete control about this. The body is invoked in the context of the caller. The variable named by nodevar will be set to the current node, and the variable named by flowvar will be set to the command of the flow object through which the body can request the nodes to visit next. The API provided by this object is described in the next section, FLOW API. Note that the command makes no promises regarding the order in which nodes are visited, excpt that the nodes requested to be visited by the current iteration will be visited afterward, in some order. FLOW API
This section describes the API provided by the flow object made accessible to the body script of ::page::util::flow. flow visit node Invoking this method requests that the node n is visited after the current iteration. flow visitl nodelist Invoking this method requests that all the nodes found in the list nodelist are visited after the current iteration. flow visita node... This is the variadic arguments form of the method visitl, see above. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
dataflow, graph walking, page, parser generator, text processing, tree walking CATEGORY
Page Parser Generator COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_flow(n)