Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Switch to su
Operating Systems Solaris Switch to su Post 302815937 by alister on Sunday 2nd of June 2013 09:58:59 PM
Old 06-02-2013
I don't use solaris, but I've read that if RBAC is used to turn root into a role, then a user cannot su unless they are allowed to assume the root role.

Regards,
Alister

---------- Post updated at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:55 PM ----------

This link may be of use:
Configuring and Using RBAC - System Administration Guide: Security Services - How to Make root User Into a Role

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can you switch

hi, i am try to run following script in c-shell, using switch command. #!/bin/csh choice=0 while do echo "system monitor" echo " 1) system paging 2) system file inf. 3) system disk inf. 9) exit " echo "select an option: \c" read choice case $choice in 1)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neer45
3 Replies

2. Programming

Switch

using switch can we match for more than one values.. eg: switcha(a) { case 1, 2, 3: printf("ddd"); break; case 4, 5, 6: printf("mmm"); break; } In this case wat i found was only for the last value, i.e 3 and 6 the switch works. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abey
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script with more then one switch

Hi, have managed to code a script that has a simple menu so for instance if I run: this will call a help function that displays the programs help, I have coded this in using a case statement so if: case is h) call the help function The problem is I don't know how to code in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Del33t
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

switch login

Hi, How can I switch from one login to another login in UNIX. su command is disabled in my environment. Is there any alternate way to login. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharif
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch + stirng

Hi, This script receive in input 2 parameters, the use $2 in this way: switch ($2) case r: p=r-- echo $2 ok breaksw case rw: p=rw- echo $2 ok breaksw case rwx: p=rwx echo $2 ok breaksw default... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accessing switch

Hello Community! Anyone knows how can I access the switch for monitoring the traffic on my LAN? The switch is a Linksys sr2024 Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncatdesigner
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help for cp with -p switch

Guys, I need to copy files from source to destination with datetime preserved I did it with cp -p <source>/file <destinaltion>/file But when I do stat command on copied file , it seems the copied file has "change time" modified. Please guide me in understanding (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar with -T switch

Howdy, I'm trying to tar a bunch of files into their own individual tar archives. In other words i have files a.txt thru z.txt and i want to create a.tar thru z.tar in the same folder. I've been using -T to read in the list of files to be archived but i can't get it to work. I think my problem is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fistikuffs
5 Replies
rbac(5)                                                 Standards, Environments, and Macros                                                rbac(5)

NAME
rbac - role-based access control DESCRIPTION
The addition of role-based access control (RBAC) to the Solaris operating environment gives developers the opportunity to deliver fine- grained security in new and modified applications. RBAC is an alternative to the all-or-nothing security model of traditional superuser- based systems. With RBAC, an administrator can assign privileged functions to specific user accounts (or special accounts called roles). There are two ways to give applications privileges: 1. Administrators can assign special attributes such as setUID to application binaries (executable files). 2. Administrators can assign special attributes such as setUID to applications using execution profiles. Special attribute assignment along with the theory behind RBAC is discussed in detail in "Role Based Access Control" chapter of the System Administration Guide: Security Services. This chapter describes what authorizations are and how to code for them. Authorizations An authorization is a unique string that represents a user's right to perform some operation or class of operations. Authorization defini- tions are stored in a database called auth_attr(4). For programming authorization checks, only the authorization name is significant. Some typical values in an auth_attr database are shown below. solaris.jobs.:::Cron and At Jobs::help=JobHeader.html solaris.jobs.grant:::Delegate Cron & At Administration::help=JobsGrant.html solaris.jobs.admin:::Manage All Jobs::help=AuthJobsAdmin.html solaris.jobs.user:::Cron & At User::help=JobsUser.html Authorization name strings ending with the grant suffix are special authorizations that give a user the ability to delegate authorizations with the same prefix and functional area to other users. Creating Authorization Checks To check authorizations, use the chkauthattr(3SECDB) library function, which verifies whether or not a user has a given authorization. The synopsis is: int chkauthattr(const char *authname, const char *username); The chkauthattr() function checks the policy.conf(4), user_attr(4), and prof_attr(4) databases in order for a match to the given authoriza- tion. If you are modifying existing code that tests for root UID, you should find the test in the code and replace it with the chkauthattr() function. A typical root UID check is shown in the first code segment below. An authorization check replacing it is shown in the second code segment; it uses the solaris.jobs.admin authorization and a variable called real_login representing the user. Example 1: Standard root check ruid = getuid(); if ((eflag || lflag || rflag) && argc == 1) { if ((pwp = getpwnam(*argv)) == NULL) crabort(INVALIDUSER); if (ruid != 0) { if (pwp->pw_uid != ruid) crabort(NOTROOT); else pp = getuser(ruid); } else pp = *argv++; } else { Example 2: Authorization check ruid = getuid(); if ((pwp = getpwuid(ruid)) == NULL) crabort(INVALIDUSER); strcpy(real_login, pwp->pw_name); if ((eflag || lflag || rflag) && argc == 1) { if ((pwp = getpwnam(*argv)) == NULL) crabort(INVALIDUSER); if (!chkauthattr("solaris.jobs.admin", real_login)) { if (pwp->pw_uid != ruid) crabort(NOTROOT); else pp = getuser(ruid); } else pp = *argv++; } else { For new applications, find an appropriate location for the test and use chkauthattr() as shown above. Typically the authorization check makes an access decision based on the identity of the calling user to determine if a privileged action (for example, a system call) should be taken on behalf of that user. Applications that perform a test to restrict who can perform their security-relevant functionality are generally setuid to root. Programs that were written prior to RBAC and that are only available to the root user may not have such checks. In most cases, the kernel requires an effective user ID of root to override policy enforcement. Therefore, authorization checking is most useful in programs that are setuid to root. For instance, if you want to write a program that allows authorized users to set the system date, the command must be run with an effective user ID of root. Typically, this means that the file modes for the file would be -rwsr-xr-x with root ownership. Use caution, though, when making programs setuid to root. For example, the effective UID should be set to the real UID as early as possible in the program's initialization function. The effective UID can then be set back to root after the authorization check is performed and before the system call is made. On return from the system call, the effective UID should be set back to the real UID again to adhere to the principle of least privilege. Another consideration is that LD_LIBRARY path is ignored for setuid programs (see SECURITY section in ld.so.1(1)) and that shell scripts must be modified to work properly when the effective and real UIDs are different. For example, the -p flag in Bourne shell is required to avoid resetting the effective UID back to the real UID. Using an effective UID of root instead of the real UID requires extra care when writing shell scripts. For example, many shell scripts check to see if the user is root before executing their functionality. With RBAC, these shell scripts may be running with the effective UID of root and with a real UID of a user or role. Thus, the shell script should check euid instead of uid. For example, WHO=`id | cut -f1 -d" "` if [ ! "$WHO" = "uid=0(root)" ] then echo "$PROG: ERROR: you must be super-user to run this script." exit 1 fi should be changed to WHO=`/usr/xpg4/bin/id -n -u` if [ ! "$WHO" = "root" ] then echo "$PROG: ERROR: you are not authorized to run this script." exit 1 fi Authorizations can be explicitly checked in shell scripts by checking the output of the auths(1) utility. For example, for auth in `auths | tr , " "` NOTFOUND do [ "$auth" = "solaris.date" ] && break # authorization found done if [ "$auth" != "solaris.date" ] then echo >&2 "$PROG: ERROR: you are not authorized to set the date" exit 1 fi SEE ALSO
ld.so.1(1), chkauthattr(3SECDB), auth_attr(4), policy.conf(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4) System Administration Guide: Security Services SunOS 5.10 15 Jul 2003 rbac(5)