Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH log file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH log file Post 302815659 by Rahul619 on Saturday 1st of June 2013 03:40:02 PM
Old 06-01-2013
Thanks yoda and rudic. i got it cleared .

Code:
#!/bin/bash

./bin/a.sh &

pid=$!

wait $pid

sft=$?

echo "a.sh job status : " $sft 1>>close.log 2>&1 

if [ $sft -eq 0 ]
then
	echo "a.sh is success at `date` " 1>>close.log 2>&1
else
	echo "a.sh failed at `date` " 1>>close.log 2>&1
	exit 1
fi

./bin/b.sh &

pid=$!

wait $pid

pt=$?

echo "b.sh job status : " $pt 1>>close.log 2>&1 

if [ $pt -eq 0 ]
then
	echo "b.sh is success at `date` " 1>>close.log 2>&1
else
	echo "b.sh failed at `date` " 1>>close.log 2>&1
	exit 1
fi

./bin/c.sh &

pid=$!

wait $pid

pit=$?

echo "c.sh job status : " $pit 1>>close.log 2>&1 

if [ $pit -eq 0 ]
then
	echo "c.sh is success at `date` " 1>>close.log 2>&1
else
	echo "c.sh failed at `date` " 1>>close.log 2>&1
	exit 1
fi

in the above code wen a.sh fails it should exit the script, but it goes on invoking b.sh .. can any bash folks pls tell me hw can i make the script to exit when a.sh fails . AM running a.sh and b.sh in background since they both are independent ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash tail monitor log file

Hi there, I have a problem here that involves bash script since I was noob in that field. Recently, I have to monitor data involve in logs so I just run command tail -f for the monitoring. The logs was generate every hour so I need to quickly change my logs every time the new hour hits according... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriezo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: color strings in log file

hello im looking for an easy way to color specific strings in text file. simple example: cat file1 acb 1234 qwer 5678 my goal: cat file1 (color the acb red and the 5678 blue) acb 1234 qwer 5678 cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modcan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bunch of ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@'s in bash log file

I have a bash script that has been running fine for months that scans a bunch of files and gives me a log file output, it has suddenly started putting 1.5M of a repeating sequence of ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ on the first line of the logfile, is this a unicode problem I should be setting something in my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make my own file as a running log file in bash

Hi, I have written a small script from that iam appending the output to a file.If multiple users invoke the same script or if i invoke the same script n number of times (using &), the output file(ZZ/OUT) contains messup information. #!/bin/bash # echo "Hello" >> /tmp/ZZ/OUT sleep 10 echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blrguest
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Out SSH User in Bash

So, I've been writing a system to allow users temporary access onto a system. Essentially, there's a web server with a PHP script, the PHP script takes a Username & Password from a webform, and passes it to a script, createusr.sh. The script looks something like this: pass=$(perl -e 'print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FreddoT
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Closest Timestamp (LOG FILE)

Hi All, I need something where I could take the date from FILE1 and in this case the date is Thu Sep 10 13:48:42 EDT 2015 and I need it to match the closest PREVIOUS date in the log file FILE2 this means in this specific case it would be Thu Sep 10 2015 13:35:28. I only need the closest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberto999
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for looking in log file

Hello, I'm a beginner in shell scripting. I would really appreciate some help from the forum. I want to write a small script that will look in apache error log. If it finds the appropriate word. It would execute some commands. In my case the apache error log is situated in:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysingh99
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call one bash file from another bash file.

hi .. greetings ...i need help in bash programming. i am on linux mint. i have two .sh files.(netcheck.sh and dlinkreboot.sh).. please note . both bash files are working perfectly well independently... but cant work together. . in short i want one bash file to call the other bash file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emmfranklin
2 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)