Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH log file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH log file Post 302815377 by RudiC on Friday 31st of May 2013 03:45:53 PM
Old 05-31-2013
That request is highly ambiguous. What do you mean by "set the logfile" and " i could not see the log file"?
What you do in your code snippet is assign an arbitrary text (that admittedly looks like a valid file spec) to a shell variable called John, Doe, or, in this case, logfile. (Actually, as Yoda points out, you don't even assign but asked the shell to run a command called "logfile" with parameters "=" and that text. Definitely, no log file is created, so you can't see it.
Try redirection of stdout and/or stderr to collect all output of your script into a file.
To create an execution log, set the -x option when running your script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash tail monitor log file

Hi there, I have a problem here that involves bash script since I was noob in that field. Recently, I have to monitor data involve in logs so I just run command tail -f for the monitoring. The logs was generate every hour so I need to quickly change my logs every time the new hour hits according... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriezo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: color strings in log file

hello im looking for an easy way to color specific strings in text file. simple example: cat file1 acb 1234 qwer 5678 my goal: cat file1 (color the acb red and the 5678 blue) acb 1234 qwer 5678 cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modcan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bunch of ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@'s in bash log file

I have a bash script that has been running fine for months that scans a bunch of files and gives me a log file output, it has suddenly started putting 1.5M of a repeating sequence of ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ on the first line of the logfile, is this a unicode problem I should be setting something in my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make my own file as a running log file in bash

Hi, I have written a small script from that iam appending the output to a file.If multiple users invoke the same script or if i invoke the same script n number of times (using &), the output file(ZZ/OUT) contains messup information. #!/bin/bash # echo "Hello" >> /tmp/ZZ/OUT sleep 10 echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blrguest
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Out SSH User in Bash

So, I've been writing a system to allow users temporary access onto a system. Essentially, there's a web server with a PHP script, the PHP script takes a Username & Password from a webform, and passes it to a script, createusr.sh. The script looks something like this: pass=$(perl -e 'print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FreddoT
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Closest Timestamp (LOG FILE)

Hi All, I need something where I could take the date from FILE1 and in this case the date is Thu Sep 10 13:48:42 EDT 2015 and I need it to match the closest PREVIOUS date in the log file FILE2 this means in this specific case it would be Thu Sep 10 2015 13:35:28. I only need the closest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberto999
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for looking in log file

Hello, I'm a beginner in shell scripting. I would really appreciate some help from the forum. I want to write a small script that will look in apache error log. If it finds the appropriate word. It would execute some commands. In my case the apache error log is situated in:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysingh99
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call one bash file from another bash file.

hi .. greetings ...i need help in bash programming. i am on linux mint. i have two .sh files.(netcheck.sh and dlinkreboot.sh).. please note . both bash files are working perfectly well independently... but cant work together. . in short i want one bash file to call the other bash file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emmfranklin
2 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)