Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Still thin Perl is long winded and cumbersome to use ... Post 302814841 by popeye on Thursday 30th of May 2013 11:45:57 AM
Old 05-30-2013
Still thin Perl is long winded and cumbersome to use ...

Code:
grep " $1 " completelist 
if [ $? = 1 ]
 then
echo "$1 not found."
fi

Is there a Perl solution that just as short sweet and fast ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

BOOTP on HP Thin clients

Please m new around here! Can anyone take me thru implementing bootp on my thin clients via my central server? Preciate ur assistance. Thanks folks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuk_uka
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - How do you break the long line of codes into 2?

I'm trying to make this long line of codes in Perl looks nice by dividing it into 2 lines... Before: `echo "blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah" > ~/lalala/lalala/lalala/lalala/lalala/abc`; After: `echo "blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah" > ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teiji
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Getopt::Long question - stopping multiple args

Hi there, I have an example basic script (below) and ive been trying to figure out how to stop multiple arguments to my options occuring. for example using the example script below I can issue two arguments for, say the --surname option and it will not barf at me (although thats what i want it to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a long print string to shotcut form in perl?

print "1.readfromfile\n2.add_ex1(4,5)\n3.add_ex2(11,5)\n4.add_ex3(9,3)\n5.add_ex4(91,4)\n"; How to do it in this form: print "1.readfromfile\n 2.add_ex1(4,5)\n 3.add_ex2(11,5)\n 4.add_ex3(9,3)\n 5.add_ex4(91,4)\n"; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using jdbc:thin in bash

Hi I want to include in my script a test for DB connection with jdbc:thin connection string(not using tnsnames.ora) For example:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdan2000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How long ago since time - Using perl

echo "1337124526" | perl -pe 's/(\d+)/easttime($1)/e' the above gives a date and time. how can i subtract the date and time given by this command, from the current present date? can this be a one liner or as close to a one-liner as possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting into long delimited string using perl.

Hi, I have a very long pipe delimited string. The length of the string could vary. For example: START|one|two|three|four|five|six|seven START|one|two|three|four|five|six|seven|eight|nine START|one|two|three|four I want to replace in the third occurence of string with another... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
9 Replies

8. Programming

Perl Getopt::Long

Hi All I am using Getopt::Long in perl and i am trying to have it so if i dont supply a switch after the progname is will do a defult option i have the following GetOptions($OPT, 'debug|d', 'mail|m', ) or info(); i want it run the debug if it is not given a switch ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :: Getopt::Long in the program

While going through some of the perl script... I had found the below line.. use Getopt::Long; my $GetOptionsReturnCode = GetOptions ( '<>' => sub { push(@unknownArg, @_); }, 'h|help' => sub { &helpMessage(); exit 0; }, ); Could anyone please explain the above one ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitVoidGrepUser Contributed Perl DocumentaPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitVoidGrep(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitVoidGrep - Don't use "grep" in void contexts. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
"map" and "grep" are intended to be pure functions, not mutators. If you want to iterate with side-effects, then you should use a proper "for" or "foreach" loop. grep{ print frobulate($_) } @list; #not ok print map{ frobulate($_) } @list; #ok grep{ $_ = lc $_ } @list; #not ok for( @list ){ $_ = lc $_ }; #ok map{ push @frobbed, frobulate($_) } @list; #not ok @frobbed = map { frobulate($_) } @list; #ok CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitVoidGrep(3)