Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert space or pattern between columns in a data file Post 302813561 by spacebar on Monday 27th of May 2013 03:28:22 PM
Old 05-27-2013
Two awk examples:
Code:
# Separate columns with 3 spaces
$ awk -v OFS='   ' '{$1=$1};1' f1
123   abc   456
xyz   789   efg

# Separate columns with a comma
$ awk -v OFS=',' '{$1=$1};1' f1
123,abc,456
xyz,789,efg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into another file after matching pattern

i am not sure what i should be using but would like a simple command that is able to insert a certain block of text that i define or from another text file into a xml file after a certain match is done for e.g insert the text </servlet-mapping> <!-- beechac added - for epic post-->... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cookie23patel
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help - sed - insert space between string of form XxxAxxBcx, without replacing the pattern

If the string is of the pattern XxxXyzAbc... The expected out put from sed has to be Xxx Xyz Abc ... eg: if the string is QcfEfQfs, then the expected output is Qcf Ef Efs. If i try to substitute the pattern with space then the sed will replace the character or pattern with space,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert empty columns in a flat file

Hi, I have a tab delimited flat file, for example shown below Name Desg Loc a b c d e fI want to insert an empty column inbetween the column Desc and Loc, the result should be like shown below: Name LName Desg Loc a b c d e ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space in specific column among many columns

Hello, I have some problem in inserting the space for the pairs of columns. I have the input file : I used this code below in replacing it using space in specific column (replace space in each two columns) sed -e "s/,/ /2" -e "s/,/ /3" inputfile Output showed : However, I have many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awil
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert empty columns inside a pipe delimited file

Hi All , I have pipe delimiter file with 11 columns . I need to insert 4 empty columns after column 10 . and After 11 column I need to insert a column which is having the same value for all the rows . My file 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11 New file ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file

Hi all , I have a file having 12 columns tab delimited . I need to read this file and remove the column 3 and column 4 and insert a word in column 3 as "AVIALABLE " Is there a way to do this . I am trying like below Thanks DJ cat $FILENAME|awk -F"\t" '{ print $1 "\t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Insert three extra columns in csv file

Hello Experts, I got a requirement i have a input file which am getting from different source,Now i want to add extra 3 columns to this file like BASE,ACTUAL and DATE. Input File Looks like QUAL CHGE TYP LAW COM1 COM2 A 1 X SED HO ASE B 3 Z CDE SE ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed.vaghar
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert data based on pattern

if it is finding some data based on pattern 'test' then insert else if has no data based on the pattern 'test' then exit successfully cat file | grep test > file2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of file before the first occurrence of a line starts with a pattern in another file

Hi all, I'm new to scripting.. facing some problems while inserting content of a file into another file... I want to insert content of a file (file2) into file1, before first occurrence of "line starts with pattern" in file1 file1 ====== working on linux its unix world working on... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
14 Replies
fntsample(1)						      General Commands Manual						      fntsample(1)

NAME
fntsample - PDF and PostScript font samples generator SYNOPSIS
fntsample [ OPTIONS ] -f FONT-FILE -o OUTPUT-FILE fntsample -h DESCRIPTION
fntsample program can be used to generate font samples that show Unicode coverage of the font and are similar in appearance to Unicode charts. Samples can be saved into PDF (default) or PostScript file. OPTIONS
fntsample supports the following options. --font-file, -f FONT-FILE Make samples of FONT-FILE. --font-index, -n IDX Font index for FONT-FILE specified using --font-file option. Useful for files that contain multiple fonts, like TrueType Collec- tions (.ttc). By default font with index 0 is used. --output-file, -o OUTPUT-FILE Write output to OUTPUT-FILE. --other-font-file, -d OTHER-FONT Compare FONT-FILE with OTHER-FONT. Glyphs added to FONT-FILE will be highlighted. --other-index, -m IDX Font index for OTHER-FONT specified using --other-font-file option. --postscript-output, -s Use PostScript format for output instead of PDF. --svg, -g Use SVG format for output. The generated document contains one page. Use range selection options to specify which. --print-outline, -l Print document outlines data to standard output. This data can be used to add outlines (aka bookmarks) to resulting PDF file with pdfoutline program. --include-range, -i RANGE Show characters in RANGE. --exclude-range, -x RANGE Do not show characters in RANGE. --style, -t "STYLE: VAL" Set STYLE to value VAL. Run fntsample with option --help to see list of styles and default values. --help, -h Display help text and exit. Parameter RANGE for -i and -x can be given as one integer or a pair of integers delimited by minus sign (-). Integers can be specified in decimal, hexadecimal (0x...) or octal (0...) format. One integer of a pair can be missing (-N can be used to specify all characters with codes less or equal to N, and N- for all characters with codes greather or equal to N). Multiple -i and -x options can be used. EXAMPLES
Make PDF samples for font.ttf and write them to file samples.pdf: fntsample -f font.ttf -o samples.pdf Make PDF samples for font.ttf, compare it with oldfont.ttf and highlight new glyphs. Write output to file samples.pdf: fntsample -f font.ttf -d oldfont.ttf -o samples.pdf Make PostScript samples for font.ttf and write output to file samples.ps. Show only glyphs for characters with codes less or equal to U+04FF but exclude U+0370-U+03FF: fntsample -f font.ttf -s -o samples.ps -i -0x04FF -x 0x0370-0x03FF Make PDF samples for font.ttf and save output to file samples.pdf adding outlines to it: fntsample -f font.ttf -o temp.pdf -l > outlines.txt pdfoutline temp.pdf outlines.txt samples.pdf AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2007 Eugeniy Meshcheryakov <eugen@debian.org> Homepage: <http://fntsample.sourceforge.net/> SEE ALSO
pdfoutline(1) 2010-10-14 fntsample(1)