Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Service script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Service script Post 302813305 by MadeInGermany on Monday 27th of May 2013 03:59:05 AM
Old 05-27-2013
Code:
if chkconfig --list telnet | grep -w 'on'
then
  echo " telnet configured for autostart : STATUS--> NOOK"
  echo
else
  echo " telnet not configured for autostart : STATUS--> OK"
  echo
fi

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a script to find another script via lookup service

Hi, I'm trying to write a basic script which will measure throughput at a node on a network, and pass the results on to a manager script (running on another node on the same network). I presume that I need to use some sort of naming service, so that the manager can publish its location. From what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeppelin147
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a Script to Start as a Service

Hi, I have a shell script t1.sh. on my solaris box. So, what are the steps required to make this script run as a Service, when the system re-starts. (for ex:- at run level 3). I know that I should use the rc.d folders. But I don't know the exact steps. Kindly explain, Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for monitoring service

Hi, I am new to shell programming, I would like to write a script which will monitor sendmail service in linux, and if service goes down it will send the mail can you please suggest me how to monitor the service? Regards, Manoj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for service

Hi, I want to add an application as a service in Linux(Fedora 12). It should be run always for monitoring my system. It never terminate unless kill it. I wrote this script, put it on /etc/init.d/myapp and added it to run level 2345: #!/bin/bash # # chkconfig: 2345 20 80 # description:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pronetin
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Run one service after another service has finished - systemd

Hi all I would like to know how to run task2.service after task1.service has finished. task1.service has a timer (task1.timer), that makes it run every 5 minutes OnCalendar=*:0/5task2.service is basically a script, that has to work on the files created after task1 has finished. This is what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilliber
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script to automate a service message

Hi I am trying to figure out, on how to automate whether in a simple script or using awk/sed/grep commands to automate a "service.message" file which has tag separated message stating as; "There is currently no outage or system is unavailable for duration of change....", therefore, when... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gamma
14 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)