Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to count a string in a line and report it? Post 302812033 by a_bahreini on Friday 24th of May 2013 07:15:24 PM
Old 05-24-2013
It didn't work. it counts all "/" and "0/1" and "1/1"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ?

Hi, I want to get the line count of the file from the 2nd line of the file ? The first line is header so want to skip that. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a count report

Hi, I want to generate a report for count mismatching. Steps followed for creating a script for file in 1). I have to fetch the file name from the checksum.out #customer_information_ 2). Added Detail #customer_information_Detail 3). Check the file exist or not. 3.1.1)if the the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: number10
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string from multiple file based on line count number

Hi, I search all forum, but I can not find solutions of my problem :( I have multiple files (5000 files), inside there is this data : FILE 1: 1195.921 -898.995 0.750312E-02-0.497526E-02 0.195382E-05 0.609417E-05 -2021.287 1305.479-0.819754E-02 0.107572E-01 0.313018E-05 0.885066E-05 ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 header count with file2 line count

What I'm trying to accomplish. I receive a Header and Detail file for daily processing. The detail file comes first which holds data, the header is a receipt of the detail file and has the detail files record count. Before processing the detail file I would like to put a wrapper around another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to add a new string at the end of line by searching a string on the same line?

Hi, I have a file which is an extract of jil codes of all autosys jobs in our server. Sample jil code: ************************** permission:gx,wx date_conditions:yes days_of_week:all start_times:"05:00" condition: notrunning(appDev#box#ProductLoad)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavendra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count and print the most repeating string in each line

Hi all, I have a file in which each string from column 1 is associated with one or multiple strings from column 2. For an example, in the sample input below, Gene1 from column1 is associated with two different strings from column 2 (BP1 and BP2).For every unique string from column 1, I need to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and count following lines starting with another string

I have a large dataset with following structure; C 0001 Carbon D SAR001 methane D SAR002 ethane D SAR003 propane D SAR004 butane D SAR005 pentane C 0002 Hydrogen C 0003 Nitrogen C 0004 Oxygen D SAR011 ozone D SAR012 super oxide C 0005 Sulphur D SAR013... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
IOCLASSCOUNT(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   IOCLASSCOUNT(8)

NAME
ioclasscount SYNOPSIS
ioclasscount [classname] [...] DESCRIPTION
ioclasscount displays the instance counts of OSObject-based C++ classes in the kernel, incremented by the number of direct subclasses that have an instance count of at least 1. For example, if IONetworkController is not directly instantiated, but its direct subclass IOEthernet- Controller has any instances, then IONetworkController's instance count will be at least 1; if another direct subclass such as IOFWController has any instances, then IONetworkController's instance count will be at least 2; and so on. (This modification of instance counts prevents unloading of kexts defining superclasses that have no instances, but whose subclasses in other kexts have instances.) If classes are specified, instance counts are printed as a comma-separated list in the order specified. If no classes are specified, instance counts for all classes are printed, one per line of output and sorted by name. This information is useful for tracking leaks. Instance counts can also found in the root of the IORegistry in the ``IOKitDiagnostics'' property. EXAMPLES
Display instance counts for IOPCIDevice and AppleTestPCI: /usr/sbin/ioclasscount IOPCIDevice AppleTestPCI IOPCIDevice = 2, AppleTestPCI = 1 SEE ALSO
ioalloccount(8), ioreg(8) Darwin November 06, 2008 Darwin