Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Which Process is causing Paging? Post 302811851 by -=XrAy=- on Friday 24th of May 2013 10:32:54 AM
Old 05-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetanz
1) In the output of following command many processes are showing Pgsp>0; In that case can we say all the processes with Pgsp>0 are 'causing' the paging on system?
I am are these processes 'the cause'?
No, processes which does not active for a (long) time, will moved to the paging space device. At this time, where the VMM move the memory allocated by these process, You will see paging out operation. If this process is still inactive You will see only paging space used and no paging out or paging in operation. When this process becomes avtiv (eg. IO finished, no more lock on a requested resource, etc.) You will see paging in operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetanz
2) Few processes are showing Pgsp>0 with "svmon" but with "ps aux" those are showing %MEM as 0.0 constantly Ex.PID= 5677206, below
what could be the reason?
Maybe this process is currently not activ. So have a look at the %CPU and TIME column for this process.

Have You tried to run NMON?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Paging

Hi all, Is there a paging utility in UNIX, when we can page some one for some condition Best Regards Omran (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omran
1 Replies

2. AIX

Paging Space per process

This is my first post, and I am new to the UNIX world. Hopefully this question won't be too lame. I know that I can use topas to see the paging space used by some processes. I would like to script something that can add up the paging space used by process owned by or associated with an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alntht
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

paging

I need a script which sends a mail when paging is happening and which process is causing paging? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
5 Replies

4. AIX

Paging space

Hi, I have paging size 2048M showed from topas and 10240M showed from "lsps -a", can anyone tell what is the difference? and how to change the PAGING SIZE (showed in topas) to 8192M? Can you please tell in detail step? Thanks! Victor #topas Topas Monitor for host: egsprc01dev ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output (Paging)

how to get output of a file which is large screen by screen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mayur_verma
1 Replies

6. AIX

Paging

Hi , I have 8Gb memory in my JS21 server. When I run svmon it shows 3655Mb memory is utilized and 4344Mb free. I have configured 8Gb paging space and 14% is utilized which is 1Gb. I dont have memory issues but just want to know Why 1gb paging is utilized when my almost 4Gb real memory is free?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
6 Replies

7. AIX

How to know which process is causing the closed_wait?

I do have a friend who have this script already but lost it. Can you please help to give me a script that can capture the closed_wait on the stack and identify which process using it. I am thinking of using netstat and rmsock. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
2 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
dynamic_pager(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  dynamic_pager(8)

NAME
dynamic_pager -- dynamic pager external storage manager SYNOPSIS
dynamic_pager [-F filename] [-S filesize] [-H high-water-trigger] [-L low-water-trigger] [-P priority] DESCRIPTION
The dynamic_pager daemon manages a pool of external swap files which the kernel uses to support demand paging. This pool is expanded with new swap files as load on the system increases, and contracted when the swapping resources are no longer needed. The dynamic_pager daemon also provides a notification service for those applications which wish to receive notices when the external paging pool expands or contracts. OPTIONS
-F The base name of the filename to use for the external paging files. By default this is /private/var/vm/swapfile. -S The fixed filesize [in bytes] to use for the paging files. By default dynamic_pager uses variable sized paging files, using larger sized files as paging demands increase. The -S, -H and -L options disable that default and cause dynamic_pager to use a series of fixed sized external paging files. -H If there are less than high-water-trigger bytes free in the external paging files, the kernel will signal dynamic_pager to add a new external paging file. -L If there are more than low-water-trigger bytes free in the external paging files, the kernel will coalese in-use pages and signal dynamic_pager to discard an external paging file. Low-water-trigger must be greater than high-water-trigger + filesize. -P This option is currently unimplemented. FILES
/private/var/vm/swapfile* Default external paging files. SEE ALSO
macx_swapon(2), macx_swapoff(2). Mac OS X July 8, 2003 Mac OS X