Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Operator test in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Operator test in bash Post 302811581 by RudiC on Thursday 23rd of May 2013 05:37:20 PM
Old 05-23-2013
The < and > sign do a string compare: char 7 is greater than char 1, so the term is true, and it prints "Good Morning".
As MadeInGermany says, use -lt or -gt for numeric compares, and it flies.

Last edited by RudiC; 05-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

:0: unknown test operator

I have gotten the script up to this point and it works fine a system but when i copy it to another unix server running solaris 9 as the original one , its gives an error './mon_fs.sh: 0: unknown test operator' . (see script bellow) can the Gurus see to this as i am just a beginner with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unknown test operator

Hi, I have the following shell script : Nbr_BD_Link=0 Nbr_BD_Link=` sqlplus sysadm/${PSWD}@${DB_Name} << EOF | tail -4 | head -1 2>/dev/null set head off feedback off ; select count(*) from dba_db_links ; exit ; EOF ` echo ${Nbr_BD_Link} if ; then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

test: unknown operator status

hi I get test: unknown operator status if then echo "OK." return 0 else echo "not ok" 2>&1 exit -1 fi I tried to change "A" with 'A' --> same error I tried to change if , I am getting: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

TEST operator help

Hi I want to group like this but syntactic is not right ... Thanks if Like this below does not work properly .. if then : else usage exit 1 fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIle (directory) test operator (bash)

I'm almost pulling out my hair trying to figure out what's wrong with this... there's no reason I can see that it shouldn't be working. It seems that the code acts as though the conditional statement is true no matter what - I've even tried removing the negation operator, but it always goes into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wildbluefaerie
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unknown test operator

hi all, i am using the below command in my script if ; then This statement is causing the problme "ScriptName.ksh: XXX-XXX: unknown test operator" could you please suggest me , how can i avoid these messages. Singhal (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhald
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris test operator -gt

Hello people, I created the below script on HP-UX #!/bin/sh SESSION_NO=`sqlplus -s ${DRBILOUKOS_USER} <<EOF SET HEAD OFF @/export/home/drbiloukos/scripts/sessions_count/no_of_sessions.sql EOF` SESSION_THRESHOLD=250 MAX_SESSIONS=`sqlplus -s ${DRBILOUKOS_USER} <<EOF SET HEAD OFF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test operator

In my script (currently running on Solaris ) I'm testing for zero size with wild character. There are mutilple files exist in the directory. if then filename=`ls -1tr ${fileformat}.${date}.? | tail -1` else ${BATCH_FATAL:-echo} "$0:ERROR:No file found ${source}/${fileformat}.${date}.?"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgoel83
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unknown test operator

Hi , Os - Solaris Shell - Ksh I am getting below error in if condition + id + ./om_wf_complete.sh: gid=4081(Infadmn): unknown test operator + exit 1 if ; then touch /home/odwt/1.0.0/out/oworkflow.dat chmod 777 /home/odwt/1.0.0/out/oworkflow.dat elif ; then touch... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unknown test operator

O/S solaris 9 shell ksh if then chk_op="WARNING...reboot within the last 24hrs, restarted at `who -r | awk '{print $4$5"@"$6}'`" ; else if ; then last_reboot1=`who -b | awk '{print $4" "$5" "$6}'` last_reboot2='..OK..'`uptime | awk '{print$3" "$4}'` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
4 Replies
STRCMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRCMP(3)

NAME
strcmp, strncmp - compare two strings SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> int strcmp(const char *s1, const char *s2); int strncmp(const char *s1, const char *s2, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The strcmp() function compares the two strings s1 and s2. It returns an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if s1 is found, respectively, to be less than, to match, or be greater than s2. The strncmp() function is similar, except it only compares the first (at most) n characters of s1 and s2. RETURN VALUE
The strcmp() and strncmp() functions return an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if s1 (or the first n bytes thereof) is found, respectively, to be less than, to match, or be greater than s2. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99. SEE ALSO
bcmp(3), memcmp(3), strcasecmp(3), strcoll(3), string(3), strncasecmp(3), strverscmp(3), wcscmp(3), wcsncmp(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2010-09-20 STRCMP(3)