Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help needed - find command for recursive search Post 302810663 by zaxxon on Wednesday 22nd of May 2013 10:05:30 AM
Old 05-22-2013
You had some way a similar question here
https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...-one-file.html

What have you tried, regarding the solutions given there? Is this homework/classroom stuff?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find file with date and recursive search for a text

Hey Guyz I have a requirement something like this.. a part of file name, date of modification of that file and a text is entered as input. like Date : 080206 (MMDDYY format.) filename : hotel_rates text : Jim now the file hotel_rates.ZZZ.123 (creation date is Aug 02 2006) should be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosh0623
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with find command

Hi Guys, Can someone help with this. I have to find out a file name which calls the following sql script "abhishek_to_sdw.sql". In other words it contains a pattern like "abhishek_to_sdw.sql". I have found out using "find" command that the file abhishek_to_sdw.sql is existing on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Non recursive find command

Hi, I have question is related to find command. I want to find command should search in current folder only not recursive mode(sub-folders). I found a one way of, find . \( -name success -prune \) -o -name "Rajini*" How ever, my current folder is having lots sub-folders and am not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to sort directories after a recursive find

find -type d -name "TC_*" | sort That's what I have so far... it finds the appropriate directories and then sorts them. But, when it comes to nested subdirectories, it only sorts relative to the first subdirectory. I want it to sort based on the directory at the end of the path. Does anyone know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsondarkn
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi, I'm a complete noobie at UNIX and have hit a problem. I'm using the 'Talend' ETL tool to try and extract flat files from UNIX on a weekly basis. The dates are maintained in a control table and the appropriate folder has been mounted. I am using a component in 'Talend' which enable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markee
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive directory search using ls instead of find

I was working on a shell script and found that the find command took too long, especially when I had to execute it multiple times. After some thought and research I came up with two functions. fileScan() filescan will cd into a directory and perform any operations you would like from within... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newreverie
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logic needed to recursive looping in the script

Hello i have a requirement where in a file i will get string. The length could be from 1 to 20. if the string is less than 6 characters ( ex: ABCD) . i need to append 'X' on right hand side to make it 6 characters (ex: ABCDXX). if suppose i get the same string from the file as ABCDXX then i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi! hi I used find command to find some file names as per input from user. I used it for current directory. It was working fine. Now I tried with giving some other directory path. Its giving issues. Here what I tried. Script will take input from user say 1_abc.txt, find the file and print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non Recursive Find Command

Hello Unix Gurus, I am using the following find commands: 1) find Input_Path -name '*.' -exec mv -f {} Outputpath \; 2) find Inputpath -name '*.' -exec cp {} Outputpath \; 3) find Somepath -name '*.' Now the problem is my Unix version does not support maxdepth Option for find... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive folder search faster than find?

I'm trying to find folders created by a propritary data aquisition software with the .aps ending--yes, I have never encountered folder with a suffix before (some files also end in .aps) and sort them by date. I need the whole path ls -dt "$dataDir"*".aps"does exactly what I want except for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
hal-find(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      hal-find(1M)

NAME
hal-find, hal-find-by-capability, hal-find-by-property - search HAL global device list SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-capability --capability capability [--help] [--verbose] [--version] hal-find-by-property --key key --string value [--help] [--verbose] [--version] DESCRIPTION
The hal-find commands, hal-find-by-capability and hal-find-by-property, search the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) device list by speci- fied criteria and displays results on the standard output. hal-find-by-capability searches by capability, such as volume or block. hal- find-by-property searches by property, such as block.is_volume or volume.disc.has_audio. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --capability capability HAL device capability to search for. --help Display list of options. --key key The key to the property that is the basis of the search. --string value The string value associated with the property that is the basis of the search. --verbose Verbose mode. --version Display version and exit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWhalr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hald(1M), attributes(5), hal(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Aug 2006 hal-find(1M)