Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script with awk command for counting in a file Post 302809379 by y.g. on Sunday 19th of May 2013 03:21:34 PM
Old 05-19-2013
Shell script with awk command for counting in a file

Hi,
I hope you can help me with the awk command in shell scripting.
I want to do the following, but it doesn't work.
Code:
for i in $REF1 $REF2 $REF3; do
awk '{if($n>=0 && $n<=50000){count+=1}} END{print count}' ${DIR}${i} >${DIR}${i}_count.txt
done

REF1 to REF3 are only variables for .txt files.DIR is the working directory.
Is $n correct for the last column in the files? And I want to have an output file, where the variable count is print.
Can someone help me?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting in shell script

hi i am writing a korn shell script to compile all programs there are arount 2000+ files now i have a script that can compile programs but i want to show status of compilation because to compile all programs it takes around 10-15 mins so how can i display status like it should print no of files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command not working from the shell script

Hi, When i run the below command i am able to get the output. awk '/BEGIN DSSUBRECORD/{c=3;next}c-->0' abc.txt | awk '/END DSSUBRECORD/{exit}{print}' | awk '/Owner/{exit}{print}' | awk '{n2=n1;n1=n;n=$0;if(NR%3==0){printf"%s,%s,%s\n",n2,n1,n}}' Output: Name "file_name", ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Script Counting of Correct vs. Error Responses

Hello, I have been trying to use an awk script to parse out correct and incorrect answers in a simple tab-delimited text file. I am trying to compare the user's response to the stimulus presented (in this case, an arrow pointing left or right; e.g., "<--" vs. "-->"). I have the data for the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk array syntax & counting script

..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbee11
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines in a file using awk

I want to count lines of a file using AWK (only) and not in the END part like this awk 'END{print FNR}' because I want to use it. Does anyone know of a way? Thanks a lot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarist684
7 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing shell script parameter value to awk command in side the script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sarita Behera
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command not getting executed in shell script

I am able to execute awk command from shell prompt. but the same command is not getting executed when written and run in a bash script the command from bash cmd prompt. awk '/world/{for (i=2; i<NF; i++) printf $i " "; print $NF}1' myfile >tmp$$ ; mv tmp$$ myfile file: # hello world my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script with following awk command pls help

Hi I want to create a shell script with the following awk command & also get the filenames in output. awk '/<catetcsecuretty0>/ {p=1} /<catvarlogmessages0>/ {p=0} p' *.xml As there will be multiple outputs related to many xml files I cannot identify which output belongs to which file ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharp488
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)