Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl syntax
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl syntax Post 302809111 by DGPickett on Saturday 18th of May 2013 09:12:13 AM
Old 05-18-2013
First, I know almost no perl, but that never stops me!

-> is stolen from C, says point to a child member of, in this case a member function or method of a class/object/struct type.

=> is somewhat synonymous with a comma, and has functions by context as a list separator or left operand discard, like in c you can say "x = ( y == 3 ? printf("Equal\n"), 1 : 0 );", which is assign to x the result of test y equal 3 if true printf and then discard the printf return and supply a 1 else supply a 0, which is an ugly way to say if y is three than printf and set x to 1 else set x to 0. The comma discards the return of the printf, and connects two commands that run together like a {}, especially handyin contexts where {} are not legal. However, the comma has special meanings by context, like separating key from value in a hash table. (A hash table is a lookup by some integer derived (hashed) from the key, to pick one of N buckets where there may be multiple but few key value pairs that have to be searched linearly. However, the hash and bucket select can be far faster than traversing a tree, and buckets are cheap, so you can have many, and so few buckets with many pairs. A good hash helps a lot, too.
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command syntax for C:\dir

Hi Everyone, Perl command syntax that would display my ... C:\dir .... Regards, asabzevari (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asabzevari
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

perl explain syntax !!!

hi all i was going through some perl code i came across this line and i am not getting what is exactly going on .. $$this{localtion} = GetName->GetVarName("EXE_DIR") ; what is the red part doing in above code (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl version for syntax errors

All, Does it matter what perl verios your running when you get syntax errors? on version 5.6.1 the code works fine, but on 5.8.0 the code gets errors? #!/usr/bin/perl #use strict; #use warnings; my $mess = 'messages'; my $mess1 = 'messages.1'; my $mess2 = 'messages.2'; my... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl syntax help

Im new at scripting and im trying to write a script using perl that will make sure there are 2 command line integer arguments and then check if the 2nd argument is greater than the first. i believe im close but still receive my error message even when i have 2 arguments and the second part gives me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Syntax Errors

Hi, I am a newbie to PERL and working on a script. When running it I get a lot of compilation errors. The actual command in the program (which is within a case structure) is given below # This gives the actual count of inquires from a log file (It works fine when I type this on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nurani
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl syntax that I don't understand.

I'm just trying to confirm that I understand someone's code correctly. If someone has code that says: $foo ||= mysub(); I'm assuming that it means if $foo is nothing or undef, then assign it some value via mysub(). If I'm wrong on this, please let me know. Also, what's the difference... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
4 Replies

7. Programming

Syntax error in perl program.

Hi, i am running this code but i am getting syntax error #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; use XML::LibXML; use XML::LibXML::Reader; use Data::Dumper; my $file; open( $file, 'DTC_Specification_transformed.xml'); my $reader = XML::LibXML::Reader->new( IO => $file ) or die... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veerubiji
1 Replies

8. Programming

Perl syntax question

Hallo everybody, I have a following problem - I'm doing a map funciont to fill in a HTML table and I want to use some radiobutton groups. Unfortunatelly, they are grouped by names, so I have to add some "counter" that will divide one row from another, and I'm using CGI.pm for generating the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duskos
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl syntax

Query with perl syntax Aim: is to change a perl script to use a new file I was required to replace - entries \"$entries\" with -lib <full_path_to_filename> So in the code detector.pm sub rundetector { my $class = shift; mkdir($resultDirectory); my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Perl Syntax Question.

Greetings! Here's what I believe is a "simple one" for the community tonight ;) What I'm trying to do is assign a "true/false" value to a variable depending upon whether a named process (some-process) exists; and then test for this value in the succeeding logic. I banged my head against the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
2 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)