Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read numbers from file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read numbers from file Post 302805459 by MadeInGermany on Friday 10th of May 2013 06:03:36 AM
Old 05-10-2013
You better do
Code:
while read num #read an input number
do
 if [ $num -ge 0 ]; then
  ... #without a further read
 fi
done

Eventually done < input_file
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read numbers from file and output which numbers belongs to which range

Howdy experts, We have some ranges of number which belongs to particual group as below. GroupNo StartRange EndRange Group0125 935300 935399 Group2006 935400 935476 937430 937459 Group0324 935477 935549 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

2. Programming

Cannot read a file with read(fd, buffer, buffersize) function

# include <stdio.h> # include <fcntl.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <sys/stat.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int fRead, fPadded, padVal; int btRead; int BUFFSIZE = 512; char buff; if (argc != 4) { printf ("Please provide all of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naranja18she
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with addition of 2 numbers that are read from a file

I am trying to add free and used memory (so that i can compute percentage used)of remote nodes using shell script. I use the openssh-server,expect tool and ssh script. 1)login.txt (info of nodes): ip1|username|password ip2|username|password . . . 3)sshlogin.sh #!/bin/bash ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marmik1903
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file

Hello All, I am having problem to find what is the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file. I am having file with thousands of lines and hundreds of columns. I am familiar mainly with bash but I am open to whatever suggestion witch will lead to the solutions. If I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apfik
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in numbers from a datafile

Hi, I want to be able to read numbers from many files which have the same general form as follows: C3H8 4.032258004031807E-002 Phi = 1.000000E+00 Tau = 5.749E+00 sL0 = 3.805542E+01 dL0 = 1.514926E-02 Tb = 2.328291E+03 Tu = 3.450E+02 Alpha = ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and execute the read command

Hi, I am facing issues with the below: I have a lookup file say lookup.lkp.This lookup.lkp file contains strings delimited by comma(,). Now i want to read this command from file and execute it. So my code below is : Contents in the lookup.lkp file is : c_e,m,a,`cd $BOX | ls cef_*|tail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding (as in arithmetic) to numbers in columns in file, and writing new file with new numbers

Hi again. Sorry for all the questions — I've tried to do all this myself but I'm just not good enough yet, and the help I've received so far from bartus11 has been absolutely invaluable. Hopefully this will be the last bit of file manipulation I need to do. I have a file which is formatted as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
4 Replies

9. Programming

Read in numbers from console won't stop at newline.

Hello, I have snippet code from Lippman's <<C++ primer>>. The program is to convert regular decimal (0 ~ 15) numbers to basic hexdecimals. The instruction tells the program will execute by hitting newline at the end. When I tried to run the compiled program, hitting ENTER did not work as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Read a file with decimal numbers in bash

Hello, I have the following script while read id fraction do sambamba -h -f bam -t 10 --subsampling-seed=50 -s $frac ${id}.bam -o ${id}.out.bam done < fraction.txt where fraction.txt has two columns (id,fraction) and 50 rows I am unable to run this as bash is not able to read the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
2 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e., the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e., the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of uniq as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
July 3, 2004 BSD