Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep Delimited Line and Display Vertically Post 302805215 by stuckinboredom on Thursday 9th of May 2013 08:07:51 PM
Old 05-09-2013
In your example, below works just fine:
Code:
grep apple fruitsfile | awk '{FS=":";print "Fruit: "$1"\nColor: "$2"\nPrice: "$3"\nOrigin: "$4}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make grep -c display like grep -n?

Hey Guys, Wondering if there is a way to do the following I have a file called test.txt abc def abc abc def I have a pattern file called pattern.txt containing the following abc def I want to do a count, but have it display the count value preceeding each line like grep -n (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerrad
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for NULL in a pipe delimited file

hi, How can I check for a field in a pipe-delimited file having a NULL value in Unix using a grep command or any other command. Please reply (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

4 GB delimited-textfile on ONE LINE

I have delimited-text files ( > 4GB ) and is just one line. OS: HP-UX 11.23 Awk / cut / sed all have line_max limitations. & unable to read one line in (Buffered-mode). Sample file: xxxx|adsfadf|Afdsa|adsf|afds|Asdfas|ads|Afds|Asdf| .....till forever, I want to put a carriage... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: magedfawzy
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep in delimited file

Here is my file : (pipe delimited file) abc|abc|11112|ffff|3333|oo abc|abc|11112|ffff|3333|oo abc|11112|ffff|2222|oo abc|abc|11112|ffff|3333|oo abc|22222|ffff|1111|oo I need 2 things : 1. Need to grep for all rows where in 5th column is 3333. (i can do this using awk.. but my actual... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinithepoo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a "word" through grep but display line above?

Hi guys. I am trying to perform a search using grep. I get my grep to work, but need to "awk" a Process Number that is 2 lines above... Example: I run a query on my TSM server for Processes that are "Waiting" for something...it returns this: Process Number: 32,881 Process... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep:pipe delimited output

Hi, I am trying to search for a string in a file and print all the matched lines as pipe delimited format. My command is cat m_gid_trans.XML|grep -i '<TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"' The output I am getting is <TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in adding a string at the end of each line and append files vertically

hi, i need a help in the script , need to append a string at the end of each line of a files , and append the files into a single file vertically. eg file1 has the following columns abc,def,aaa aaa,aa,aaa files 2 has the following rows and columns abc,def,aaa aaa,aa,aaa i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the line to previous line in | delimited text?

Hi All, I am new to Unix and I have one challenge and below are the details. I have pipe delimited text file in that data has span into multiple lines instead of single line. Sample data. Data should be like below for entire file. 41|216|398555|77|provided complete NP outcome data ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narasimhasss
21 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep solutions tab-delimited file

Hello, I am trying to find a solution to problem that's proving to be beyond my newbie skills. The below files comes from a genetics study. File 1 describes a position on the genome and file 2 does the same but is formatted differently and has more information. I am trying to match all lines in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
5 Replies
POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)

NAME
POE::Filter::Grep - select or remove items based on simple rules SYNOPSIS
#!perl use POE qw( Wheel::FollowTail Filter::Line Filter::Grep Filter::Stackable ); POE::Session->create( inline_states => { _start => sub { my $parse_input_as_lines = POE::Filter::Line->new(); my $select_sudo_log_lines = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Put => sub { 1 }, Get => sub { my $input = shift; return $input =~ /sudo[d+]/i; }, ); my $filter_stack = POE::Filter::Stackable->new( Filters => [ $parse_input_as_lines, # first on get, last on put $select_sudo_log_lines, # first on put, last on get ] ); $_[HEAP]{tailor} = POE::Wheel::FollowTail->new( Filename => "/var/log/system.log", InputEvent => "got_log_line", Filter => $filter_stack, ); }, got_log_line => sub { print "Log: $_[ARG0] "; } } ); POE::Kernel->run(); exit; DESCRIPTION
POE::Filter::Grep selects or removes items based on simple tests. It may be used to filter input, output, or both. This filter is named and modeled after Perl's built-in grep() function. POE::Filter::Grep is designed to be combined with other filters through POE::Filter::Stackable. In the "SYNOPSIS" example, a filter stack is created to parse logs as lines and remove all entries that don't pertain to a sudo process. (Or if your glass is half full, the stack only selects entries that DO mention sudo.) PUBLIC FILTER METHODS
In addition to the usual POE::Filter methods, POE::Filter::Grep also supports the following. new new() constructs a new POE::Filter::Grep object. It must either be called with a single Code parameter, or both a Put and a Get parameter. The values for Code, Put, and Get are code references that, when invoked, return true to select an item or false to reject it. A Code function will be used for both input and output, while Get and Put functions allow input and output to be filtered in different ways. The item in question will be passed as the function's sole parameter. sub reject_bidoofs { my $pokemon = shift; return 1 if $pokemon ne "bidoof"; return; } my $gotta_catch_nearly_all = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Code => &reject_bidoofs, ); Enforce read-only behavior: my $read_only = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Get => sub { 1 }, Put => sub { 0 }, ); modify modify() changes a POE::Filter::Grep object's behavior at run-time. It accepts the same parameters as new(), and it replaces the existing tests with new ones. # Don't give away our Dialgas. $gotta_catch_nearly_all->modify( Get => sub { 1 }, Put => sub { return shift() ne "dialga" }, ); SEE ALSO
POE::Filter for more information about filters in general. POE::Filter::Stackable for more details on stacking filters. BUGS
None known. AUTHORS &; COPYRIGHTS The Grep filter was contributed by Dieter Pearcey. Documentation is provided by Rocco Caputo. Please see the POE manpage for more information about authors and contributors. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-15 POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)