Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Boy, is the shell powerful.
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Boy, is the shell powerful. Post 302803337 by wisecracker on Monday 6th of May 2013 12:13:44 PM
Old 05-06-2013
Hi Corona688...
Quote:
Second, the shell is a good interface to the UNIX system, but a poor interface to other systems where not everything is a file... Imagine you didn't have utilities like SOX or an external /dev/dsp, how simple would your oscilloscope be then?
I would have to develop the hardware to suit an existing port.
Like this for example using the AMIGA A2100 parallel port;
It is a GIF animation of such an animal that required HW to be built using standard tools...

http://wisecracker.host22.com/public/SCOPE.GIF

The whole project required 4 AMIGA floppies and is PD on AMINET.
Quote:
Another thing the shell is poor at is performance. It's great at summoning other programs to do its work for it... not the greatest if you have to sum 3 million numbers in a flash with no outside help.
I found this type of limitation using RANDOM which is why I switched to /dev/urandom instead.

Quote:
Also, you are using nonstandard capabilities of the BASH shell (i.e. dealing with binary data). Imagine you were forced to use an ancient bourne shell, not bash. I don't think you'd consider it quite as fantastic.
Already in that situation with the AMIGA shell. Found a solutuon and created an execuatble from it...

Aminet - dev/src/Filter.shell.txt

There is always a back door... <wink - wink>

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Is Mac OS X Server Really Powerful?

Look We all know that Linux is almost BulletProof and about 40% faster than Win2K3 Server, When running Oracle DB, Right? Now my Question is can OS X run just as Well as Linux as a Server being PowerPC and Whatever, Can it be just as stable? Now You Tell me, Which is most Practical: Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedVenim
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any way to make scp more powerful?

Hello, I'm writing a script to automate the delivery of our code to different target environments and I was wondering if there's any way to cut down on the number of authentications that are needed. The script has to deliver to three different boxes (two directories on two boxes and one... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
11 Replies

3. Solaris

dd - imaging drives. Oh boy!

Hello, Yes, it's me again. Running around getting this done! My current problem is I'm trying to image one drive 0 (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0) to drive 1 (/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0). I know that drive1 came out of a Sun Server and it is a Sun drive. Solaris 10 recognized drive1 after the devfsadm command. The... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
8 Replies
uri_urn(n)					    Tcl Uniform Resource Identifier Management						uri_urn(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
uri_urn - URI utilities, URN scheme SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require uri::urn ?1.1.2? uri::urn::quote url uri::urn::unquote url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides two commands to quote and unquote the disallowed characters for url using the urn scheme, registers the scheme with the package uri, and provides internal helpers which will be automatically used by the commands uri::split and uri::join of package uri to handle urls using the urn scheme. COMMANDS
uri::urn::quote url This command quotes the characters disallowed by the urn scheme (per RFC 2141 sec2.2) in the url and returns the modified url as its result. uri::urn::unquote url This commands performs the reverse of ::uri::urn::quote. It takes an urn url, removes the quoting from all disallowed characters, and returns the modified urls as its result. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category uri of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
rfc 2141, uri, url, urn CATEGORY
Networking uri 1.1.2 uri_urn(n)