Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Boy, is the shell powerful.
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Boy, is the shell powerful. Post 302803269 by Corona688 on Monday 6th of May 2013 11:02:07 AM
Old 05-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecracker
Reading replies to questions, as an amateur, I have learnt a lot from you pros on here.
The shell in any of its guises is serioulsy poweful.

With so many transient and resident commands at one's disposal is there anything, non-GUI, that cannot be done inside a default shell and terminal?
The deep dark secret of high-level languages is that, even if you treat C/C++ as a dark-ages language and eschew it for java/python/shell/CAML/INTERCAL, nearly all the "Good Stuff" your programs depend on(like SOX, and BASH itself) are actually written in it. It's a powerful enough language to build other efficient languages and language addons, a rare feat; hardly anything would be much good without it.

Second, the shell is a good interface to the UNIX system, but a poor interface to other systems where not everything is a file... Imagine you didn't have utilities like SOX or an external /dev/dsp, how simple would your oscilloscope be then?

Shells are bad at networking. Even though BASH and KSH have some networking built into them these days(via a faked /dev/tcp), try building a network server without C help... You can't do it. Too many things missing.

Another thing the shell is poor at is performance. It's great at summoning other programs to do its work for it... not the greatest if you have to sum 3 million numbers in a flash with no outside help.

It's highly subject to system limits, like the length of a command-line, and the maximum length of an environment variable. You happen to get conveniently big ones in LINUX and OSX but aren't always so lucky.

If you don't have access to install things on your system, you will find the shell very limiting. No sox.

Also, you are using nonstandard capabilities of the BASH shell (i.e. dealing with binary data). Imagine you were forced to use an ancient bourne shell, not bash. I don't think you'd consider it quite as fantastic.

Last edited by Corona688; 05-06-2013 at 12:14 PM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Is Mac OS X Server Really Powerful?

Look We all know that Linux is almost BulletProof and about 40% faster than Win2K3 Server, When running Oracle DB, Right? Now my Question is can OS X run just as Well as Linux as a Server being PowerPC and Whatever, Can it be just as stable? Now You Tell me, Which is most Practical: Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedVenim
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any way to make scp more powerful?

Hello, I'm writing a script to automate the delivery of our code to different target environments and I was wondering if there's any way to cut down on the number of authentications that are needed. The script has to deliver to three different boxes (two directories on two boxes and one... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
11 Replies

3. Solaris

dd - imaging drives. Oh boy!

Hello, Yes, it's me again. Running around getting this done! My current problem is I'm trying to image one drive 0 (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0) to drive 1 (/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0). I know that drive1 came out of a Sun Server and it is a Sun drive. Solaris 10 recognized drive1 after the devfsadm command. The... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)