Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need the difference between exit 1 & exit 7 Post 302803243 by fpmurphy on Monday 6th of May 2013 09:54:56 AM
Old 05-06-2013
The numbers are simply values that are being returned to the invoking process. What those particular numbers mean is implementation dependent except for 0 which means SUCCESS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr & stdout to a file and the right exit code

Hi all, I need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file in a ksh shell. That's not a problem. But I need also the correct exit code for the executed command. In the example below I redirect correctly the stdout & stderr to a file, but I have the exit code of tee command and not for the mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: up69
2 Replies

3. Programming

exit(0) versus exit(1)

What is the difference between using exit(0) and exit(1) to exit a program? Which should I use? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is meaning of exit(0) and exit(1)

can u tell me what is the meaning of exit(0),exit(1),exit(2) what is diff amonng these. Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference b/t the exit codes $* and $@

I know that the exit codes in scripting "$*" will returns all the parameters/arguments passwd to the script. But I also know that "$@" will also returns the same. What is the difference between those two ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does it mean and how do I do it: exit 0 fi ??

I use a Mac and need to 'echo' a code in >> /etc/hosts Where is: /etc/hosts? And how do I do : exit 0 Does : 'fi' mean something too? :confused:Thanks for any help, Jacqrav:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacqrav
1 Replies

7. Programming

difference between exit() and _exit()

By using exit() and _exit() we can terminate a program. What is the:confused: difference between these two ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lipun4u
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Handling return & exit statements

I have 2 shell scripts the primary one would load the other one which will have functions defined in it. Script 1: . /apps/bin/Script 2 function if then continue... .... fi Script 2: function() (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

LINUX - How to compare the values in 2 files & exit from the script

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to compare 2 files & if the values in the files match, it should proceed, else exit the script without proceeding further. For e.g : Scenario 1 In this case, the script should exit without proceeding further. Scenario 2 In this case, the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between exit, bye and quit in sftp

Hi All, I would like to know whether is there any difference in closing the sftp connection with exit, bye and quit. And would like to know the reliable command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
3 Replies
ascii2binary(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   ascii2binary(1)

NAME
ascii2binary - Convert ASCII numbers to binary SYNOPSIS
ascii2binary [flags] DESCRIPTION
ascii2binary reads input consisting of a sequence of ASCII textual representations of numbers, separated by whitespace, and produces as output the binary equivalents. The type (unsigned integer, signed integer, or floating point number) and size of the binary output is selected by means of command line flags. The default is unsigned character. Input is checked both for format errors and to ensure that the number requested can be represented in a number of the requested binary type and size. INPUT FORMAT
The input formats supported are exactly those supported by strtod(3) for floating point numbers, by strtoll(3) for signed integers, and by strtoull(3) for unsigned integers, except that, unlike strtod(3) floating point numbers may have thousands separators. This means that by default integers may be decimal, octal, or hexadecimal, determined by the usual conventions. The command line flag -b may be used to spec- ify another base for integer conversions. COMMAND LINE FLAGS
Long options may not be available on some systems. -b,--base <base> set base in range [2,36] for integer conversions. The base may be either an integer or: (b)binary (o)octal (d)ecimal (h)exadecimal. -h,--help print help message -L,locale <locale> Set the LC_NUMERIC facet of the locale to <locale>. -s,--sizes print sizes of types on current machine and related information -t,--type <type> set type and size of output The following are the possible output types. Note that some types may not be available on some machines. d double f float sc signed char ss signed short si signed int sl signed long sq signed long long uc unsigned char us unsigned short ui unsigned int ul unsigned long uq unsigned long long -v,--version identify version -X,--explain-exit-codes print a summary of the exit status codes. EXIT STATUS
The following values are returned on exit: 0 SUCCESS The input was successfully converted. 1 INFO The user requested information such as the version number or usage synopsis and this has been provided. 2 SYSTEM ERROR An error resulted from a failure of the operating system such as an i/o error or inability to allocate storage. 3 COMMAND LINE ERROR The program was called with invalid or inconsistent command line flags. 4 RANGE ERROR This means that the input may be well-formed but cannot be represented as the required type. For example, if the input is the string 983 and ascii2binary is requested to convert this into an unsigned byte, ascii2binary will exit with a RANGE ERROR because 983 exceeds the maximum value representable in an unsigned byte, which is 255. 5 INPUT ERROR This means that the input was ill-formed, that is that it could not be interpreted as a number of the required type. For example, if the input is 0x2A and a decimal value is called for, an INPUT ERROR will be returned since 0x2A is not a valid representation of a decimal integer. AUTHOR
Bill Poser (billposer@alum.mit.edu) LICENSE
GNU General Public License, version 3 SEE ALSO
binary2ascii(1), strtod(3), strtoll(3), strtoull(3) July, 2010 ascii2binary(1)