Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell scripting/menu
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Shell scripting/menu Post 302802801 by Don Cragun on Sunday 5th of May 2013 12:05:39 AM
Old 05-05-2013
What type of system are you using? (The treatment of backslash characters in echo arguments varies from system to system. And the way you're using echo seems strange for any operating system.) Have you considered using printf instead of echo?

Can you explain the difference between strings delimited by double quotes ("...") and by single quotes ('...')? Are all of you quotes matched? And, yes, just use plain double quotes ("); not opening double quotes and closing double quotes (and )!

What shell are you using? Look at your shell's man page for the format of a case statement and the format of a while statement? I don't know of any shell that accepts a compound statement of the form:
Code:
case "$choice" in
while true
do
 ... ... ...
done
*)	echo "Invalid option"   # ;; not needed for last option
esac

You don't want to put some cases in a loop; you want to put the case statement in a loop. You also need to decide if you want the menu to only appear once, or to appear every time through the loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting for menu

Hi, I'm writting a script to filter a cvs log and get only the modified files to move them to a specific directory to compile. I try to filter a line and move from source to target, with no results. Could you help me? for example, in the cvs log file appears: cat log.txt U... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problem - when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu

when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu, however it carries out the next line when i hit a key I know its probably something simple can anyone help? here is my pause function: function pause(){ read -s -n 1 -p "Press any key to return to Menu . . ." echo } SCRIPT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with scripting a simple menu

Hi there. I'm trying to teach myself UNIX but the book I bought is a bit confusing. I'm trying out this exercise and I think I'm on the right track, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve what I have so far. Also, I'm not clear on how to use the read command to utilize the user's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jsmith
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting menu problem

Hi there, I am new to Unix and at the moment I am trying to solve my assignment that is to create a script for the program to prompt user to type three codes, from user point of view it should be done by typing codes separating them by spaces. Then program displays a menu with these three... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dannel
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu

hi guys, how would you do the following? I have a menu with 5 options in my shell script: 1. Run function 1 against files 2. Run function 2 against files 3. Run function 3 against files 4. Run function 4 against files 5. Run function 5 against files I'd like to be able to run multiple... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu using shell script

Hi, I need to have a shell script for the below need. 1. Menu with one heading and 4 options. 2. the heading and 4 options are taken from a file. File entry ====== Heading1|option1|option2|option3|option4| Heading2|option1|option2|option3|option4| 3. the user entries must be captured in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umastinu
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu shell script help

Hi All, I have written a shell script that show menu driven option. My requirement is that in the menu driven option i want to select multiple choice. i.e if i want to select 1 or 1,2 or 1,2,3 or 2,3 etc .... Can some one help me in that My script. while true; do echo " " ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nawrajesh
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu and case statement scripting

hi all i am trying to get help with writing a script using case statement to display menu as 1) Authentication log 2) System log 3) Messages 4) Dmesg 5) Boot log Q) Exit When selecting the menu by 1 or 2 or 3 o 4 or 5, it should display the last 10 lines of the log files, if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade11
3 Replies
LUA(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LUA(1)

NAME
lua - Lua interpreter SYNOPSIS
lua [ options ] [ script [ args ] ] DESCRIPTION
lua is the stand-alone Lua interpreter. It loads and executes Lua programs, either in textual source form or in precompiled binary form. (Precompiled binaries are output by luac, the Lua compiler.) lua can be used as a batch interpreter and also interactively. The given options (see below) are executed and then the Lua program in file script is loaded and executed. The given args are available to script as strings in a global table named arg. If these arguments contain spaces or other characters special to the shell, then they should be quoted (but note that the quotes will be removed by the shell). The arguments in arg start at 0, which contains the string 'script'. The index of the last argument is stored in arg.n. The arguments given in the command line before script, including the name of the interpreter, are available in negative indices in arg. At the very start, before even handling the command line, lua executes the contents of the environment variable LUA_INIT, if it is defined. If the value of LUA_INIT is of the form '@filename', then filename is executed. Otherwise, the string is assumed to be a Lua statement and is executed. Options start with '-' and are described below. You can use '--' to signal the end of options. If no arguments are given, then -v -i is assumed when the standard input is a terminal; otherwise, - is assumed. In interactive mode, lua prompts the user, reads lines from the standard input, and executes them as they are read. If a line does not contain a complete statement, then a secondary prompt is displayed and lines are read until a complete statement is formed or a syntax error is found. So, one way to interrupt the reading of an incomplete statement is to force a syntax error: adding a ';' in the middle of a statement is a sure way of forcing a syntax error (except inside multiline strings and comments; these must be closed explicitly). If a line starts with '=', then lua displays the values of all the expressions in the remainder of the line. The expressions must be separated by commas. The primary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT, if this value is a string; otherwise, the default prompt is used. Similarly, the secondary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT2. So, to change the prompts, set the corresponding variable to a string of your choice. You can do that after calling the interpreter or on the command line (but in this case you have to be careful with quotes if the prompt string contains a space; otherwise you may confuse the shell.) The default prompts are "> " and ">> ". OPTIONS
- load and execute the standard input as a file, that is, not interactively, even when the standard input is a terminal. -e stat execute statement stat. You need to quote stat if it contains spaces, quotes, or other characters special to the shell. -i enter interactive mode after script is executed. -l name call require('name') before executing script. Typically used to load libraries. -v show version information. SEE ALSO
luac(1) http://www.lua.org/ DIAGNOSTICS
Error messages should be self explanatory. AUTHORS
R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, and W. Celes $Date: 2006/01/06 16:03:34 $ LUA(1)