Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I write nested command substitutions? Post 302802497 by hanson44 on Friday 3rd of May 2013 02:48:08 PM
Old 05-03-2013
Code:
echo `expr substr $x 1 expr ${#x} - 1`

At least one reason your nested substitution does not work is because you only have one set of `` backticks. Regardless of whether you use the older backtick or newer $() syntax, nested substitution won't work if only one substitution. You would need another set of backticks around the internal expr command.

An easy, I would suggest better, alternative is "don't nest". Do one substitution, store the results in an intermediate variable. Use the intermediate variable in the next substitution.

It's simpler to understand, self-documenting, and easier to troubleshoot. The negative is it takes an extra line. A very small price to pay.
This User Gave Thanks to hanson44 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nested Echo Command Help

I am doing below : $HOST_NAME1="webisstg70" $count=1 $echo $HOST_NAME1 $count webisstg70 1 $HOST_NAME="" $HOST_NAME=`echo '$HOST_NAME'${count}` $echo $HOST_NAME HOST_NAME1 $NODE_NAME=`echo $`echo ${HOST_NAME}`` I get below error message (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: findprakash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to perform multiple substitutions?

Hello I have the following output which is returned with the Month in text format instead of numerical. The output I receive is performed by using Rational Synergy CM software commands from the Unix command line and piping Unix commands on the end. bash-3.00$ ccm query -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - nested substitutions

How can I nest substitutions ? My solution just seems cheap ... sample data Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software, Version 235.5(18) Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software, Version 17.6(7) Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software, Version 19.6(7) Cisco Catalyst Operating System... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple variable substitutions

Is there anyway to accomplish this? (ksh) FILES_TO_PROCESS='NAME1 NAME2' SOURCE_NAME1=/tmp/myfile TARGET_NAME1=/somewhere/else # other file names for i in $FILES_TO_PROCESS do file1=SOURCE_$i file2=TARGET_$i echo cp ${$file1} ${$file2} <-- how do get this to work. done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koondog
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays and substitutions

I am working on a bash script and ran around this issue. here's the code : #!/bin/bash string="\"bin\" \"barn\" \"bin, barn /\"" array=($string) echo -e "\nMethod 1\narray is ---> ${array}" echo -e "array=($string)" array=("bin" "barn" "bin, barn /") echo -e "\nMethod 2\narray is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: titou_dude
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two substitutions in one echo

PHOST1=temp i=1 I want to display the value of PHOST1 by making use of variable i inplace of 1 something like this echo "$PHOST$i" # -> This doesn't seem to work. Please provide me the correct syntax. I tried many different ways echo ${PHOST${i}} echo ${PHOST Nothing seems... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blazer789
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell command need to parse multiple nested tag value of a XML file

I have this XML file - <gp> <mms>1110012</mms> <tg>988</tg> <mm>LongTime</mm> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Desti = Motion</lkid> <kk>12</kk> </lv> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Source = Velocity</lkid> <kk>2</kk> </lv> <lv> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedASolution
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speeding up substitutions

Hi all, I have a lookup table from which I am looking up values (from col1) and replacing them by corresponding values (from col2) in another file. lookup file a,b c,d So just replace a by b, and replace c by d. mainfile a,fvvgeggsegg,dvs a,fgeggefddddddddddg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested case: rsync command not found

Hello! Below my first bash script. As you can see i build 2 nested cases. The second one (sync databases) is working fine. Bu the first one (sync datadirs) is not working. It says: rsync: command not found. However when i move the rsync command to the top of the script its working. So i suppose... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyperconnected
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

The Shell lost the inverted comma in a nested ssh command

Hi, i want use this Comand for my psql request sh ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no rootatemailaddress.de sudo psql -U postgres -c "select pg_terminate_backend(pid) from pg_stat_activity where datnam=\'$DB\';"'" but the shell lost the inverted comma for datnam=\'$DB\'. The request deliver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpane007
2 Replies
EXPR(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
expr arg ... DESCRIPTION
The arguments are taken as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument. The operators and keywords are listed below. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped. expr | expr yields the first expr if it is neither null nor `0', otherwise yields the second expr. expr & expr yields the first expr if neither expr is null or `0', otherwise yields `0'. expr relop expr where relop is one of < <= = != >= >, yields `1' if the indicated comparison is true, `0' if false. The comparison is numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic. expr + expr expr - expr addition or subtraction of the arguments. expr * expr expr / expr expr % expr multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments. expr : expr The matching operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1). The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the first argument. Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched (`0' on failure). ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. Examples: To add 1 to the Shell variable a: a=`expr $a + 1` To find the filename part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a, which may or may not contain `/': expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a Note the quoted Shell metacharacters. SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Expr returns the following exit codes: 0 if the expression is neither null nor `0', 1 if the expression is null or `0', 2 for invalid expressions. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 EXPR(1)