Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Can't chgrp. Error - chgrp: changing group of `<file>': Invalid argument Post 302800809 by hiten.r.chauhan on Tuesday 30th of April 2013 02:29:45 PM
Old 04-30-2013
Let me summarize what I understood from your scenario

Users are created centrally on some AD

NFS server - chgrp works.
NFS client - chgrp doesn't works

If this is the case, I think nfsv4 is not configured in your NFS server and client.

Workaround: You can use nfs v3 in your auto.master file and then remount the partition in nfs clients.

Just use:
/net -hosts -o vers=3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stty: : Invalid argument

Hello Everyone; I have a script that is throwing the following message: stty: : Invalid argument The line that gives the message is the following, sailormoon$ scp home/voice.xml newwave@silvermoon:/newwave/config/radius stty: : Invalid argument voice.xml | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
2 Replies

2. Programming

error "Invalid argument" returned after call sched_setscheduler

the code is below and the was run on Solaris 9. ----------------------------- struct sched_param param; param.sched_priority = 99; if(sched_setscheduler(0, SCHED_RR, &param) == -1) { perror("setting priority"); exit(1); } ------------------------------- after the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Owner of file gets 'not owner' error for chgrp

Hi Folks, I know that changing users and groups is pretty basic admin, but this one has got me stumped. When I try to change the group of a file for which I am the owner for, it still gives me a 'Not owner' error. For example, when I am logged in as 'webadmin', I have the following file: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brizrobbo
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

msgrcv : Invalid argument

Hi All, Please guide me how to get rid : msgrcv : Invalid argument. I am using message queues: msgsnd and msgrcv, I am able to send through msgsnd and receive through msgrcv, but at times i get the belo error. msgrcv : Invalid argument. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: answers
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Chgrp and Chown ???

Hi Can anybody please let me know the usage of Chgrp command with an example??? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

AFP mount + Chown/Chgrp respecting

Hello all... Does anyone know how to make an AFP mount of home directories (/Volumes/users off of another server) so that any users doing an ssh login retain write permission to their individual folders, read-write permissions to folders chowned to appropriate group... and so that newly created... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drkdev
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't chgrp, chown on Linux

I have a problem on Linux wherein it doesn't allow me to use the chown and chgrp even if I am the owner of the file. Is this one of the Linux limitations? BTW, I can use chmod. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jin_
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl "Invalid argument error"

Hi , we have a issue in server, we are running a perl script to connect our clients, but we are not able to connect, every time we are getting the "Invalid argument error" Even i checked all the necessary perl modules are i installed in this server, #create the listen socket my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Chgrp failed on NAS mounted

Hi, I am facing chgrp issue for a directory on a NAS mounted partation. issue details : user1 belongs to two groups grp1(primary) and grp2(secondary) not able to change directory group to secondary. WORKING on /tmp #mkdir /tmp/a #ls -ld /tmp/a drwxr-xr-x 2 user1 grp1 117 Mar 24... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.surisett
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mount error in Linux: invalid argument

hi i have an android phone which i think is bricked, so wanted to see what the actual issue is, I flashed it with TWRP recovery image and launched terminal i, was able understand that mount is not happening, it says invalid argument and no such file or directory. Below is what i get while... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
32 Replies
rpcdebug(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       rpcdebug(8)

NAME
rpcdebug - set and clear NFS and RPC kernel debug flags SYNOPSIS
rpcdebug -vh rpcdebug -m module rpcdebug -m module -s flags... rpcdebug -m module -c flags... DESCRIPTION
The rpcdebug command allows an administrator to set and clear the Linux kernel's NFS client and server debug flags. Setting these flags causes the kernel to emit messages to the system log in response to NFS activity; this is typically useful when debugging NFS problems. The first form in the synopsis can be used to list all available debug flags. The second form shows the currently set debug flags for the given module. The third form sets one or more flags, and the fourth form clears one or more flags. The value all may be used to set or clear all the flags for the given module. OPTIONS
-c Clear the given debug flags. -h Print a help message and exit. When combined with the -v option, also prints the available debug flags. -m module Specify which module's flags to set or clear. Available modules are: nfsd The NFS server. nfs The NFS client. nlm The Network Lock Manager, in either an NFS client or server. rpc The Remote Procedure Call module, in either an NFS client or server. -s Set the given debug flags. -v Increase the verbosity of rpcdebug's output. FILES
/proc/sys/sunrpc/{rpc,nfs,nfsd,nlm}_debug procfs-based interface to kernel debug flags. SEE ALSO
rpc.nfsd(8), nfs(5), syslogd(8). BUGS
Bugs can be found or reported at http://nfs.sf.net/. AUTHOR
Program by Olaf Kirch <okir@suse.de> and <frederic.jolly@bull.ext.net>. Manpage by Greg Banks <gnb@melbourne.sgi.com>. 5 Jul 2006 rpcdebug(8)