Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed, awk or perl to remove substring of all lines except the first Post 302800425 by jacksolm on Monday 29th of April 2013 06:15:25 PM
Old 04-29-2013
Don,

Sorry for the delay. I just had a chance to try your solution. I had a few typos which resulted in syntax errors. After debugging, the script was able to execute. It is strange that awk complained about the single quote before BEGIN. It didn't appear to delete the user from the redundant group. Any ideas? I will post the edited script. I appreciate your time and awk expertise. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk to remove specific lines

I have searched the forum for this - forgive me if I missed a previous post. I have the following file: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah alter table "informix".esc_acct add constraint (foreign key (fi_id) references "informix".fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove lines before and after with awk / sed ?

Hi guys, I need to remove the pattern (ID=180), one line before and four lines after. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashimada
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl or awk remove empty lines when condition

Hi Everyone, # cat 1 a b b cc 1 2 3 3 3 4 55 5 a b (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove spaces using awk,sed,perl?

Input: 3456 565 656 878 235 8 4 8787 3 7 35 878 Expected output: 3456 565 656 878 235 8 4 8787 3 7 35 878 How can i do this with awk,sed and perl? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to remove duplicate lines with perl,sed,awk

Input: hello hello hello hello monkey donkey hello hello drink dance drink Output should be: hello hello monkey donkey drink dance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove last 4 characters with non-unique pattern.

Hi, I'm writing a ksh script and trying to use an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove the last 4 characters of a line in a file if it begins with a period. Here is the contents of the file... the column in which I want to remove the last 4 characters is the last column. ($6 in awk). I've... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process alternate lines in awk/sed/perl

hi.. i have a fasta file with the following format >sequence1 CCGGTTTTCGATTTGGTTTGACT >sequence2 AAAGTGCCGCCAGGTTTTGAGTGT >sequence3 AGTGCCGCAGAGTTTGTAGTGT Now, i want to read alternate line and add "GGGGGGGGGGG" to end of every sequence Desired output: >sequence1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl substitution with multiple lines

OSX I have been grinding my teeth on a portion of code. I am building a bash script that edits a html email template. In the template, I have place holders for SED (or whatever program is appropriate) to use as anchors for find and replace, with user defined corresponding html code. The HTML code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines matching a substring in a specific column

Dear group, I have following input text file: Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 1.485,00 EUR Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 142,64 EUR Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 19,80 EUR Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 545,00 EUR Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 6.450,00 EUR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhsd
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds (with a '.' character as a decimal point). This is a non- portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD