Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange result
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange result Post 302797971 by joeyg on Tuesday 23rd of April 2013 01:50:13 PM
Old 04-23-2013
Playing around a bit to show some things

Code:
$ string1="123456789 abc2"

$ echo $string1
123456789 abc2

$ echo $string1 | awk -v v1="abc2" '{print $0,"___",v1,"___",index($0,v1)}'
123456789 abc2 ___ abc2 ___ 11

set your string to a variable
echo to screen, so you can see
echo string, also set a variable v1, print initial variable (note $0 as $1 would separate at the space character), show underline, print my search string, show another underline, finally display the location of the substring
You obviously don't need all that display, but wanted to show the logic behind the approach.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

strange

Hi All I am doing a locate <file_name> on my Redhat 7 System. I am unable to get the output. All the keep getting is: locate: this is not a vlaid slocate database: /var/lib/locate/slocate.db What des this mean? Is my system compromised? Thanks in advance. KS (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
13 Replies

2. Solaris

Something strange...

Hi all, Thanks for any replies and for reading in advance. We have upgraded one of our database instances to 10g on a Solaris 8 box, anyhow the other day it started trying to ping loads of weird IP addresses that we don't use, since our systems all run on pretty similar IP's. It all behind... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting formatted Result log file from old 30000 lines result log<help required>

Well I have a 3000 lines result log file that contains all the machine data when it does the testing... It has 3 different section that i am intrsted in 1) starting with "20071126 11:11:11 Machine Header 1" 1000 lines... "End machine header 1" 2) starting with "20071126 12:12:12 Machine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.iet
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display the result of wc -l with words before and after the result

hello showrev -p | wc -l returns: 381 What to do in case I want to have this output: number of lines returned by showrev -p is: 381 thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange output

I had a similar script in solaris and it had no problem. I wrote this one in freeBSD and it gave me strange output. Can anyone please tell me why? thanks a lot #!/bin/sh #This is a shell script that checks file system capacity mounted on /home directory #If file system is over 90% capacity,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k2k
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printing: strange result

Dear all, I am using awk in a bash script to extract a list of x y z coordinates from a file such as: %BEGIN 3D-SPACE COORDINATES 0.2085627338147950 0.2471306816410478 0.2085627338147950 0.1242549179185660 0.2755539793525220 0.4147884486606120 0.2030669560265720 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pauli
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange variable comparison result in awk

So, I'm making a little awk script that generates a range-based histogram of a set of numbers. I've stumbled onto a strange thing. Toward the end of the process, I have this test: if ( bindex < s ) "bindex" is the "index" of my "bin" (the array element that gets incremented whenever a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange result of eval, how does eval really work with ssh?

Hi all, some small script with eval turned me to crazy. my OS is linux Linux s10-1310 2.6.16.53-0.8.PTF.434477.3.TDC.0-smp #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 06:07:27 PDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux below script works well #!/bin/bash eval ssh remotehost date eval ssh remotehost ls below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange result using find command.

I created a file with the permissions of 776. When I ran the command find /root/Desktop -perm -644 -type f The created file shows up as part of the results. Doesn't -perm -mode mean that for global, only 4(read) and 2(write) can be accepted ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the current result with previous line result.?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement to compare current result with previous reuslt. The sample case is below. 1 job1 1 1 job2 2 1 job3 3 2 job_a1 1 2 job_a2 2 2 job_a3 3 3 job_b1 1 3 job_b2 2 for above sample file, GID is group ID, for input line, the job run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies
TR(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     TR(1)

NAME
tr -- translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [-Ccsu] string1 string2 tr [-Ccu] -d string1 tr [-Ccu] -s string1 tr [-Ccu] -ds string1 string2 DESCRIPTION
The tr utility copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. The following options are available: -C Complement the set of characters in string1, that is ``-C ab'' includes every character except for ``a'' and ``b''. -c Same as -C but complement the set of byte values in string1. -d Delete characters in string1 from the input. -s Squeeze multiple occurrences of the characters listed in the last operand (either string1 or string2) in the input into a single instance of the character. This occurs after all deletion and translation is completed. -u Guarantee that any output is unbuffered. In the first synopsis form, the characters in string1 are translated into the characters in string2 where the first character in string1 is translated into the first character in string2 and so on. If string1 is longer than string2, the last character found in string2 is dupli- cated until string1 is exhausted. In the second synopsis form, the characters in string1 are deleted from the input. In the third synopsis form, the characters in string1 are compressed as described for the -s option. In the fourth synopsis form, the characters in string1 are deleted from the input, and the characters in string2 are compressed as described for the -s option. The following conventions can be used in string1 and string2 to specify sets of characters: character Any character not described by one of the following conventions represents itself. octal A backslash followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits represents a character with that encoded value. To follow an octal sequence with a digit as a character, left zero-pad the octal sequence to the full 3 octal digits. character A backslash followed by certain special characters maps to special values. a <alert character>  <backspace> f <form-feed> <newline> <carriage return> <tab> v <vertical tab> A backslash followed by any other character maps to that character. c-c Represents the range of characters between the range endpoints, inclusively. [:class:] Represents all characters belonging to the defined character class. Class names are: alnum <alphanumeric characters> alpha <alphabetic characters> cntrl <control characters> digit <numeric characters> graph <graphic characters> lower <lower-case alphabetic characters> print <printable characters> punct <punctuation characters> space <space characters> upper <upper-case characters> xdigit <hexadecimal characters> With the exception of the ``upper'' and ``lower'' classes, characters in the classes are in unspecified order. In the ``upper'' and ``lower'' classes, characters are entered in ascending order. For specific information as to which ASCII characters are included in these classes, see ctype(3) and related manual pages. [=equiv=] Represents all characters belonging to the same equivalence class as equiv, ordered by their encoded values. [#*n] Represents n repeated occurrences of the character represented by #. This expression is only valid when it occurs in string2. If n is omitted or is zero, it is be interpreted as large enough to extend string2 sequence to the length of string1. If n has a leading zero, it is interpreted as an octal value, otherwise, it's interpreted as a decimal value. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of tr as described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
The following examples are shown as given to the shell: Create a list of the words in file1, one per line, where a word is taken to be a maximal string of letters. tr -cs "[:alpha:]" " " < file1 Translate the contents of file1 to upper-case. tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]" < file1 Strip out non-printable characters from file1. tr -cd "[:print:]" < file1 Remove diacritical marks from all accented variants of the letter 'e': tr "[=e=]" "e" DIAGNOSTICS
The tr utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
System V has historically implemented character ranges using the syntax ``[c-c]'' instead of the ``c-c'' used by historic BSD implementations and standardized by POSIX. System V shell scripts should work under this implementation as long as the range is intended to map in another range, i.e. the command ``tr [a-z] [A-Z]'' will work as it will map the ``['' character in string1 to the ``['' character in string2. How- ever, if the shell script is deleting or squeezing characters as in the command ``tr -d [a-z]'', the characters ``['' and ``]'' will be included in the deletion or compression list which would not have happened under an historic System V implementation. Additionally, any scripts that depended on the sequence ``a-z'' to represent the three characters ``a'', ``-'' and ``z'' will have to be rewritten as ``a-z''. The tr utility has historically not permitted the manipulation of NUL bytes in its input and, additionally, stripped NUL's from its input stream. This implementation has removed this behavior as a bug. The tr utility has historically been extremely forgiving of syntax errors, for example, the -c and -s options were ignored unless two strings were specified. This implementation will not permit illegal syntax. STANDARDS
The tr utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). It should be noted that the feature wherein the last character of string2 is duplicated if string2 has less characters than string1 is per- mitted by POSIX but is not required. Shell scripts attempting to be portable to other POSIX systems should use the ``[#*]'' convention instead of relying on this behavior. The -u option is an extension to the IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') standard. BSD
October 11, 1997 BSD