Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Please explain this grep command Post 302797345 by bakunin on Monday 22nd of April 2013 12:00:25 PM
Old 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
Note that the 'server.log' in that grep command is almost certainly incorrect. The dot is behaving as a wildcard when what's most likely intended is a literal dot.
True. The other plausible explanation is that the writer of this intended to search a file named "server.log" for a string/regexp he just forgot to write. This would mean the statement is equally incorrect, but so for a different reason.

Code:
grep '<missing regexp>' -A 999999 server.log

In any way, your solution is preferable to this, albeit in case the intended purpose was like i said it would have to be modified slightly:

Code:
sed -n '/<missing regexp>/,$ { /Option=\[Yes]/p; }' server.log | wc -l

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the output of the command....

Explain the output of the command “sort -rfn file1 | more” (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wickbc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain the command

Hi all , please explain the following command : perl -e 'select(undef,undef,undef,.15)' Thanks and Regards Navatha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navatha
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can anyone explain what this command is doing?

Specifically what is the purpose of sed? What is f? Why is the 'cp f $phonefile' line needed when the script ‘goes live'? Why might that two commands following sed be commented out at the present time ( i.e., during development)? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: knp808
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Explain me this command

find . -type f -ctime +3 -exec mv {} /somedirectory/ \; in particular "-ctime v/s -mtime" and "difference between +3 and -3" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rambo
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please explain this command?

Hi, I saw this. But I don't know why we need this? ls mydir > foo.txt ## I know what this will do, it will take the results and write to the file called foo.txt ls mydir > foo.txt 2>&1 ## Don't know why we need 2>&1 Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain sed command

sed -e 's,*$,,' Can someone explain the options in this command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can any one explain this sqlplus command?

Hi , i am new to unix i need a small clarification regarding this sqlplus -s $USER_NAME/$PASSWD@$ORA_SID<< EOF >> SQL_CONN_LOG.log In the above command what is the meaning of <<EOF>> Thanks, krishna. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rams_krishna
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Please help to explain the command

su - keibatch -c ""date ; /usr/local/kei/batch/apb/bin/JKEIKYK4140.sh -run "&$C$6&" WSUKE100201"" Not clear about : date ; /usr/local/kei/batch/apb/bin/JKEIKYK4140.sh -run "&$C$6&" WSUKE100201 Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honda_city
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone explain the following shell command?

Hi Forum. I have the following script /home/user/EDW_ENV.sh to setup some environment variables as: ##### section 1 PM_HOME ##### export PC_DIR_BASE=/data/informatica/ming export DIR_ORACLE=/data/sw/apps/oracle/Oracle_scripts export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explain iconv command

I have a requirement to remove all non-ascii characters from a fixed length file. I used the below command which is removing special characters but somehow the total record length is being truncated to one space less. If it is a multi-byte string then many characters at the end are being truncated.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
8 Replies